Realistic medication names

Faalagorn

I really like the new attention that guns got – it's understandable that you real names aren't used, but we all know what gun is what and the calibres as well as re/un/loading and racking mechanics are vastly improved in the base game now, especially with animation.

However, there's another aspect that could use a similar treatment; medicine. I think I suggested it somewhere, but I can't find it, so I'll suggest it again: It would be nice if instead of generic "Antibiotics", "Antidepressants", "Painkillers" or  "Sleeping Tablets", you could use real names for medications, as well as some variations – i.e. Fluoxetine, Paracetamol, Hydroxyzine or Alprazolam – that would: 

1. boost the realism, as the real names of active ingredients would be used (and they are not copyrighted either, unlike the actual brand names)
  2. make the game slightly harder, as you'd have to familiarize the names (the description could state the effects as well, but players would familiarize effects quickly – or check online )
  3. add ability to add more variants of medicine with varying side effects – ex. Aspirin taken with alcohol vs Paracetamol/Ibuprofen or varying intensity painkillers
  4. open for possibility of different (potentially even randomized) looking medicine that are collectively known as "unknown medicine" or something like that, similar to unknown berries, requiring learnt knowledge to identify.

With "Vitamins" it's a little more complicated, as ideally I'd require implementing ideas from this thread, but I'd love if it could be implemented. :)

Of course, all of it would require some effort to research and to get properly named, but I think could be worthwhile, especially for non-medical personel, as I am so sorry if I got something wrong!

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I'm bringing up an old topic, but... Also, it would be possible to add "ignorance" of these very pills in those characters who do not have knowledge in first aid. Which can be obtained from the log, for example. Or, of course, if the character was a paramedic.
In order not to watch the wiki

15 hours ago, Milove said:

Maybe I'm bringing up an old topic, but... Also, it would be possible to add "ignorance" of these very pills in those characters who do not have knowledge in first aid. Which can be obtained from the log, for example. Or, of course, if the character was a paramedic.
In order not to watch the wiki

Yup, something like with berries or mushroom (where you need to have a herbalist knowledge to identify the poisonous ones) or nutritionist (where without it you can only know the nutrition of the packaged food) – if you find a single pill, you shouldn't know what it is. I think Neo Scavenger had a similar system?

10 hours ago, Faalagorn said:

Yup, something like with berries or mushroom (where you need to have a herbalist knowledge to identify the poisonous ones) or nutritionist (where without it you can only know the nutrition of the packaged food) – if you find a single pill, you shouldn't know what it is. I think Neo Scavenger had a similar system?

Yes, like that. But I didn’t play neo scavenger, unfortunately. 

On 7/24/2020 at 10:25 AM, Milove said:

Yes, like that. But I didn’t play neo scavenger, unfortunately. 

https://neoscavenger.fandom.com/wiki/Pills :) It's a nice game too, one of the (I think no longer used) lines of text in Project Zomboid even recommended to play it :D

<p class="override">Like hardcore survival games? TRY <a href="http://store.steampowered.com/app/248860" target="_blank">NEO SCAVENGER</a></p>