Buff the helicopter

sprkng

Change the helicopter event to be recurring by default, though with different effects each time they occur:

* First time it moves semi-randomly and follows you around if they can see you (i.e. they might circle and move away if you go into a building).

* Second time they use a megaphone to shout things at you, e.g. "this zone has been evacuated, no civilians allowed", "looting is a federal crime" etc.

* Third time they escalate the threats, e.g. "this is your final warning", "looters will be shot on sight", etc.

* Fourth time and on they shoot at you with a rifle.

Nothing would suck more than being instantly killed by an off-screen invincible enemy, so I think they need to be pretty bad at aiming. You should probably be safe as long as you keep running around, though the noise would have course attract zombies to your location. If you drive they shoot at the car and damage it, but still with low probability of hitting players inside as long as it is moving. Maybe there could be a red dot laser sight following you around, and bit of dust thrown up when they miss and hit the ground, to better communicate what is going on.

Currently the helicopter event can easily be dodged by driving away from a town and just sitting in your car until they go away. I think this suggestion would make the events more fun, and it could force the player into interesting scenarios (e.g. having to run into a building that hasn't been cleared from zombies). Also it would make late game more difficult, which is something I think is needed.

I like the idea of buffing the helicopter. I always set it to appear "sometimes", but with the Automated Emergency Broadcast and keeping a log ingame about when the event occurs, it is fairly easy to minimize it's impact, even though I have had situations where it appears without me being prepared.

I like the suggestions. I've been thinking of a more randomized effect though. For example that the helicopter appears more randomly and that it randomly can for example drop something that will have a negative effect on the game or a positive effect. Like it could sometimes drop some valuable loot and other times drop a big group of zombies. Making it up the player to see if they want to venture to the spot and cash in on the loot or get overwhelmed by zombies. I'm sure others here might have more creative ideas for negative and positive events.

1 hour ago, sprqn said:

other times drop a big group of zombies

I like your suggestion about dropping loot but this sounds really lame to me. Who in their right mind would do that? Would they be dropped like Paratrooper zombies or more like out of a giant bucket similar to when helicopters put out forest fires?

Surely it'd make more sense if the helicopter crashed and a horde of zombies were drawn to the crash site so when you went to investigate/loot, there were lots of zombies.

• 2 months later...

English version

I agree with the idea of improving the Helicopter, however I believe that several of us have different interpretations, and reading what was written here I imagined that the helicopter event could be as follows:
    - Different types of helicopters (News, Military, Humanitarian Aid, Falling Chopper);
Explanation:
    1. News: It would be the classic event (a few laps and followed by a horde);
    2. Military: As described above, but without all the steps. The start of the event would be by hearing shots from a distance which would result in danger for the player and maybe luck if the helicopter killed some Zeds (but would still attract a horde, only smaller)
[I don't know how this would behave, since he doesn't spawn Zeds, but attracts existing ones];
    3. Humanitarian aid: Drop some supplies and attract horde to the point of interest;
    4. Falling Chopper: A chopper that had some Zeds hanging from itself, that fall from the Helicopter and leave a trail of dead to the place of the fall (obviously with a lot of noise and attraction of hordes), resulting in an aircraft for looting ( metallurgy or mechanics [not that someone is going to assemble a helicopter, that would be kind of ridiculous]) and maybe some other item, such as something from the 3 models previously mentioned or something different thought by someone, like, I don't know, a helicopter used in farming or something, and that makes a lot, a lot of noise.

Versão em Português

Concordo com a ideia de se melhorar o Helicóptero, contudo acredito que vários de nos possuímos interpretações diferentes, e lendo o que foi escrito aqui imaginei que o evento de do helicóptero poderia ser da seguinte forma:
    - Diferentes tipos de helicópteros (Noticiário, Militar, Ajuda Humanitário, Em queda);
Explicação:
    1. Noticiário: Seria o evento clássico (algumas voltas e seguido por horda);
    2. Militar: Como o descrito anteriormente, mas sem todas as etapas. O inicio do evento se daria pela audição de disparos a distancia o que resultaria em perigo para o jogador e talvez sorte se o helicóptero matasse alguns Zeds (mas ainda sim atrairia horda, só que menor)
[não sei como isso se comportaria, uma vez que ele não spawna Zeds, e sim atrai os existentes];
    3. Ajuda humanitária: Realiza o Drop de alguns suprimentos e atrai horda para o ponto de interesse; 
    4. Helicóptero em queda: Um helicóptero que teve alguns Zeds pendurados em si, que vão caindo do Helicóptero e deixando um rastro de mortos até o local da queda (obviamente com muito barulho e atração de hordas), resultando em uma aeronave para pilhagem (metalurgia ou mecânica [não que alguém vá montar um helicóptero, isso seria meio ridículo]) e talvez algum outro item, como por exemplo algo dos 3 modelos anteriormente citados ou algo diferente pensado por alguém, como, sei lá, um helicóptero utilizado em lavoura ou algo assim, e que faz muito, muito barulho mesmo.

• 2 months later...
On 9/28/2020 at 9:11 PM, Razeluxe said:

English version

I agree with the idea of improving the Helicopter, however I believe that several of us have different interpretations, and reading what was written here I imagined that the helicopter event could be as follows:
    - Different types of helicopters (News, Military, Humanitarian Aid, Falling Chopper);
Explanation:
    2. Military: As described above, but without all the steps. The start of the event would be by hearing shots from a distance which would result in danger for the player and maybe luck if the helicopter killed some Zeds (but would still attract a horde, only smaller)
[I don't know how this would behave, since he doesn't spawn Zeds, but attracts existing ones];
    3. Humanitarian aid: Drop some supplies and attract horde to the point of interest;
    4. Falling Chopper: A chopper that had some Zeds hanging from itself, that fall from the Helicopter and leave a trail of dead to the place of the fall (obviously with a lot of noise and attraction of hordes), resulting in an aircraft for looting ( metallurgy or mechanics [not that someone is going to assemble a helicopter, that would be kind of ridiculous]) and maybe some other item, such as something from the 3 models previously mentioned or something different thought by someone, like, I don't know, a helicopter used in farming or something, and that makes a lot, a lot of noise.

Versão em Português

Concordo com a ideia de se melhorar o Helicóptero, contudo acredito que vários de nos possuímos interpretações diferentes, e lendo o que foi escrito aqui imaginei que o evento de do helicóptero poderia ser da seguinte forma:
    - Diferentes tipos de helicópteros (Noticiário, Militar, Ajuda Humanitário, Em queda);
Explicação:
    1. Noticiário: Seria o evento clássico (algumas voltas e seguido por horda);
    2. Militar: Como o descrito anteriormente, mas sem todas as etapas. O inicio do evento se daria pela audição de disparos a distancia o que resultaria em perigo para o jogador e talvez sorte se o helicóptero matasse alguns Zeds (mas ainda sim atrairia horda, só que menor)
[não sei como isso se comportaria, uma vez que ele não spawna Zeds, e sim atrai os existentes];
    3. Ajuda humanitária: Realiza o Drop de alguns suprimentos e atrai horda para o ponto de interesse; 
    4. Helicóptero em queda: Um helicóptero que teve alguns Zeds pendurados em si, que vão caindo do Helicóptero e deixando um rastro de mortos até o local da queda (obviamente com muito barulho e atração de hordas), resultando em uma aeronave para pilhagem (metalurgia ou mecânica [não que alguém vá montar um helicóptero, isso seria meio ridículo]) e talvez algum outro item, como por exemplo algo dos 3 modelos anteriormente citados ou algo diferente pensado por alguém, como, sei lá, um helicóptero utilizado em lavoura ou algo assim, e que faz muito, muito barulho mesmo.

This

Devs plan to expand on helicopter event with NPCs. The whole US Army should have a persistent faction presence in Knox Country upon 1.0 Release. They would act as the rarest, but most threatening enemy survivors of the Knox Event would face. I imagine future iterations of the Helicopter event would either bring them to your location to try and kill you or at least put you on their radar in the worst way possible.

On 9/28/2020 at 6:11 PM, Razeluxe said:

English version

Explanation:

These are all fantastic ideas. I always thought of the Helicopter as military, but News honestly does make more sense. I imagine that would still occur around the same time as well, but maybe we can even add a fun easter egg to the game with it. Perhaps if you tune into WBLN news while the event is occurring, you can hear them saying something like, "Let's go to So&So in the Helicopter... I'm here over [Insert Event Location] and as you can see, it's not looking good." Even though we couldn't see ourselves, it would be fun to hear our base location shouted out on TV.

My only thought is that the Military Helicopter should actually attract the same size horde, but 12-24 hours later, a military team will show up to try and kill you. This would basically act as a tougher version of the News copter. The news copter should occur occasionally from Day 7-21. The Military Copter should happen rarely from Day 30-90. Humanitarian aid should only happen 1-3 times before Day 90 and it should be hard to secure with NPCs and zombies around. Falling Copter should also only happen one time, not necessarily nearby your character.

On 12/11/2020 at 11:13 PM, TrailerParkThor said:

My only thought is that the Military Helicopter should actually attract the same size horde, but 12-24 hours later, a military team will show up to try and kill you.

Hmm, that seems a bit extreme right off the bat. I'd expect them to try and extort the player first actually. Give them a bunch of food, maybe even some fuel and they'd leave and leave you alone for a period of time. Until they wanted more stuff.

If you could supply them with enough food maybe they'd even wander around and kill some zeds for ya, make a good enough base and they'd set up an outpost?

1 hour ago, BentNose said:

Hmm, that seems a bit extreme right off the bat. I'd expect them to try and extort the player first actually. Give them a bunch of food, maybe even some fuel and they'd leave and leave you alone for a period of time. Until they wanted more stuff.

If you could supply them with enough food maybe they'd even wander around and kill some zeds for ya, make a good enough base and they'd set up an outpost?

I like this idea a lot. Makes the military a threat, without making them some OP enemy force. Instead of risking your health and injuries to defeat them like zombies, you will have to risk good supplies to do the same with the army. I also think what you said about them actually basing up with you would be awesome. Maybe if you have an abundance of food, they will ask your group to be a protectorate of their faction. You would have NPC soldiers guard your HQ, but you would have a tithe to pay. Perhaps having an abundance of food and weapons may prompt them to ask your group to join their faction outright. Giving you access to certain military weapons and vehicles you can't get normally. Imagine having a military doctor or a Navy SEAL sniper on your side.