Game crashes/freezes

Kexit

Question

Hello, I have an issue. My game freezes and doesn't respond until I close it completely. This happens in my house, almost always on the stairs. I have only three mods. Two of which just change the icons, and the third just adds one line of text, nothing big. I'm playing Sandbox, world was created on last version (41.39), but this has happened before. Also, this was not at the start of IWBUMS, this appeared about a month or two ago. I attach the last log when I froze on the stairs and a screenshot with my house circled on the map. Just in case. Please help me, this issue is quite annoying :(

myhouse.png

30-06-20_19-20-49_DebugLog.txt

12 answers to this question

I've had the game freeze recently - similar to your last report - when using up a bag that I had equipped. Can you remember what you did generally before transferring needle and thread? Did you have a bag equipped in a secondary slot?

Edit - I think that I had them eat right before going to the bottom right corner of the house, to grab the pair of gloves, then going to the little side room to get the needle and thread. Then walked to bottom left to get ripped sheets to be able to patch the gloves. Then back to the side room to put away the needle and thread and was going outside for something and that's when it froze.

I can't remember for sure, but they have a duffel bag on their back and a double holster on also. They have a few tools, maybe a water and lollipop in the duffelbag plus a few other items, but nothing in the holster. It seems to have froze when they were walking from the little side room towards the window/door where the mini fridge is.  It actually happened 2 more times yesterday, right in that same general area and heading towards the window. The needle and thread were in their main inventory after unequipping their "hand axe"

It froze a total of 3 times.  The first time is what I posted, but I can't remember what I was doing for the second freeze. I know they were walking from the top left, to bottom left inside the house along the wall.  The third time, they were making about 200 "Stakes" to raise carpentry, then walked towards the door to go outside (possibly crossing in front of the same window). When I restarted after that time, since they already got a level in carpentry, but the game went back a few minutes, they still had the 200 or so "tree branches" but the stakes were gone. They DID still have that level of carpentry.

Edit - It'd be nice to be able to use the wooden stakes or mortar/pestle in the fire place.

When it freezes like this, it looks like the "time of day" goes backwards by a good bit. I remember it being day time, but after it froze it was the middle of the night, so maybe it starts the day over at 1 Am or so? (I didn't catch the time), but the save file was only back a few minutes.

------------------------------------------------

This is what the house looks like and what "should be" most of what they were wearing and carrying at the time also. The window curtains were closed, but the door curtain was open. I opened them all to let in more light for the pictures, so you can see everything better.  I believe I had a fire going in the stove each time.

In picture 1, They were leaving the little side room and heading towards the door, to go outside.  I had them walk south towards the window and that's when it froze.

The crate I put beside the antique stove is full of food also. The bags on the left by the window have a lot of empty bags in them. The ice machine and mini fridge are almost full. Plus a lot of gasoline, charcoal, car parts etc, outside.

It also shows their main inventory and gear.

Picture 2, is what's in their duffle bag.

The other pictures, is just to show what all I have in the general area. Including a ton of twigs and branches in the house by the antique stove.

Edit - On a side note, I tend to edit my posts quite often. So, if you are reading them, you may want to refresh the page for up to 15-20 minutes, because I re-read and sometimes reword or even add certain things as I'm thinking about it.

Untitled.png

Untitled2.png

Untitled3.png

Untitled4.png

8 hours ago, Pandorea said:

You can use Stakes and Mortar and Pestle to respectively attack zeds (knife stab kind of attack) and to create poulstices for healing.

I knew about that already, thanks for the info. :)  It might help other players.

Sometimes I completely turn off zombies, or set it to very low.  Currently, instead of "low  0.35", I have it set at 0.05.  I might make a couple hundred stakes and mortar/pestles while leveling carpentry, but I don't need more than 1 mortar/pestle and almost never use the stakes. It would be easier just to burn them instead of chopping down even more trees since they don't grow back as far as I've seen.  I put a lot of them on corpses and buried them along with many stone hammers and axes, or even spears since those take up room after they are broken.

On a side note - You can't burn maps and you can't use the "hand torch" as a flashlight for the lamp on pillar. Plus you can't move or dismantle the lamp on pillar.

Well.. have you tried to disable the mods - however small - and trying without them? There have been a lot of changes to the game in the last couple of months and any of those changes could have had an effect on the mod.

1 hour ago, Pandorea said:

Well.. have you tried to disable the mods - however small - and trying without them? There have been a lot of changes to the game in the last couple of months and any of those changes could have had an effect on the mod.

I'll try to disable them, but they're updating every time when game gets an update.

53 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

To add to Pandorea's comment:  is the house filled with tons of loot?

I have planty of crates, but not so much stuff inside.

22 hours ago, Pandorea said:

I disabled all these small mods and I think it worked...
It's strange... anyway, thank you so much for advice 😄

I've only had the game freeze 2 times recently. Can't remember what caused them though.

41.39 no mods

Windows 10, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050,  8g ram

For me, after driving around for a bit and uncovering parts of the map, it'll start lagging or "stuttering".  A little at first, say once every 2 seconds.  After a couple minutes of doing this (still driving), it gets so bad that I have to completely shut it down to my desktop and restart.

I haven't had it happen while walking yet, but it would take much longer to cover the same ground as driving.

Taskmanager doesn't show anything out of the ordinary, usually staying between 1300-2200mb memory and 22-25% cpu, so I don't think it's a memory leak.

If you want, I can grab a clean console file and log.zip, then go drive around for a while until it happens again.

1 hour ago, Pandorea said:

Console.txt and logs are always welcome! :)

All I did was start the game, grab a couple items for the road, put the battery in the truck and went for a drive. (Edit - saved game, not new game.)

After it started lagging/stuttering, I kept driving for a few minutes, then paused the game with the top right button on screen, hit ESC and closed to desktop.

Went from almost the very bottom of the map near the 2 lakes and campgrounds at 12497x8923  (which DO have electric like everywhere else) to the gas station at the top left 3764x8591.  I took the highway where "Crossroads" is, and was going 90 for some of the time.

Maybe it's not loading fast enough to keep up with driving that quick?

Edit - It doesn't lag while driving fast. This "stuttering" starts after I'm driving around for a while. Which could happen anywhere, It's not one particular area I go through each time.

There has been a couple times, that I've gotten the old "half black screen" where it's loading the area in front of you, but that happens rarely.

I'm playing completely offline, DRM free version. No Steam, or even going through the (GoG games) that came with it when I bought the game. I just open the folder itself and click on Projectzomboid64 to start it.

Both the Log.zip and console files are clean. I took the old ones out of the folder, so it would make new files right before I started up the game.

Edit - once it starts stuttering, if I have my character get out of the vehicle and walk around, it doesn't fix the issue.  I don't think I've tried going back to the main screen and restarting, to see if that fixes the issue. I normally Just close to desktop and restart the game.

logs.zip console.txt

Well, the game just froze, so here's another console and log.zip file. I had to get into Taskmanager and force the game to shutdown.

I was having them walk from one room to the other after putting away thread and a needle.  I have a decent bit of stuff on the  floor of the place they're staying currently.

Edit - When I started up the save file, it was back a couple minutes, so I didn't lose much progress. All I have to do, is re-patch the hole in my gloves again.

Edit - By the way, is there any specific files I could save, instead of copying the entire folder each time I want to backup my save?

There's almost 70,000 items in the folder so far and it takes 10-15 minutes each time. I'd especially like the character file, so if I wanted to start a new game, but not lose all the skills they have.

This is what the console file said... about 500 times. 

Jul 03, 2020 10:39:02 AM zombie.GameWindow frameStep
SEVERE: null
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Comparison method violates its general contract!
    at java.util.TimSort.mergeLo(TimSort.java:777)
    at java.util.TimSort.mergeAt(TimSort.java:514)
    at java.util.TimSort.mergeForceCollapse(TimSort.java:457)
    at java.util.TimSort.sort(TimSort.java:254)
    at java.util.Arrays.sort(Arrays.java:1512)
    at java.util.ArrayList.sort(ArrayList.java:1454)
    at java.util.Collections.sort(Collections.java:175)
    at zombie.iso.IsoObjectPicker.ContextPick(IsoObjectPicker.java:291)
    at zombie.ui.UIManager.update(UIManager.java:985)
    at zombie.GameWindow.logic(GameWindow.java:237)
    at zombie.core.profiling.AbstractPerformanceProfileProbe.invokeAndMeasure(AbstractPerformanceProfileProbe.java:71)
    at zombie.GameWindow.frameStep(GameWindow.java:722)
    at zombie.GameWindow.run_ez(GameWindow.java:640)
    at zombie.GameWindow.mainThread(GameWindow.java:467)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

These are the same log and console files as earlier, when I was checking the stuttering, so you should be able to disregard the first half or so, of what's on them.

console.txt logs.zip

Archived