A small thing i noticed

Crossbow7734

So, I've noticed that when a character hits a target with a shovel they do it with the flat part of the tool. It's pretty obvious that hitting with the metal edge would be more effective, in fact historically durig The Great War soldiers used sharpened entrenching tools (or however you call shortened military shovel like things) this way. 

Not sure why in game you use the flat part like in movies, but it never seemed okay to me.

Maybe someone posted a similar suggestion, but I couldn't find it.

Edited by Crossbow7734

I would disagree with you here because the shovels ingame are much larger and longer than entrenching tools. It makes sense that the blunt face of conventional shovels would carry more force than the edges (which aren't sharpened, mind you). 

Also, your entrenching tools are much smaller and lighter than these shovels, making those more purpose-built for this kind of thing than an actual gardening shovel. Maybe if historic entrenching tools were added to the game, treat them more like a bladed weapon - but not regular shovels and spades, which has more heft when using them as a weapon.

Edited by Magic Mark

2 hours ago, Magic Mark said:

I would disagree with you here because the shovels ingame are much larger and longer than entrenching tools. It makes sense that the blunt face of conventional shovels would carry more force than the edges (which aren't sharpened, mind you). 

Also, your entrenching tools are much smaller and lighter than these shovels, making those more purpose-built for this kind of thing than an actual gardening shovel. Maybe if historic entrenching tools were added to the game, treat them more like a bladed weapon - but not regular shovels and spades, which has more heft when using them as a weapon.

Actually I believe no matter the force if it is applied on smaller surface it makes more damage, that's why blades cut and axes split stuff apart. And hitting something with a weapon that hits bigger area spreads the force of hit and the potential damage across the target.  You are fighting a zombie. You don't want to give him a concussion or internal bleeding or a broken bone. You want to destroy the brain, and to do that you should penetrate the flesh and then split the bone. Even historical maces were designed in a way, to minimize point of contact with target to focus the force. Considering the construction of this specific shovel in game I believe it still has enough edge to be effective chopping weapon.

Sorry if that's chaotic or not written too well, but english is not my native language :)

Edit: I am not saying it should be considered a bladed weapon or an axe, just were wondering why the animation is made that way. Not gonna make a big deal out of it.

Edited by Crossbow7734

For this kind of tools it is easier to "spank" rather than "cut" due to handler and how your body work with swinging object ( don't ask me how i know that ;) ) so hitting with large shovel lik in game is correct and more natural rather than trying to hit with edge.

Edit: forgot to add that with this tools in real life there is also possible "stab" like with pitchfork. Quite effective against one enemy but require some experience when aiming to head. But most people would use "spank" like with baseball bat woth one hand on handler ( which usually is horizontal to tool) and second hand like support just above handler geabbing from the bottom to use "lifting muscles" to add strenght maikong it quite inpressive swing. Hope this make sense

Edited by pzfreak