A Personal Thank You

Fuzzy Wolfy

Not the most productive thread—I know, but one I felt I just had to make after spending some time with the new IWBUMS builds.

I first picked up Project Zomboid back in 2013-ish when it first made its debut on Steam, and my initial thoughts on it could be summed up as "Woah, this is weird.". I was never a fan of the isometric perspective, but I was a massive sucker for Zombies at the time—and despite the game looking somewhat bare, I wanted to give it a shot. At the start, things felt a little iffy. The game mechanics were new and unfamiliar to me to the point of not really enjoying it too much. That said, it didn't take too long for me to get the hang of it and realize what mistakes I'd been making, how to correct them and how to properly get immersed in the game as a result.

Cut to just short of nearly a decade later, and Project Zomboid was—and still is—one of my favorite games to date.

It doesn't matter whether I play it solo or via multiplayer, the game hardly disappoints. I've seen many fantastic servers come and go, I've had an amazing time with countless groups of friends, and I've always—always—appreciated the amount of effort being put into the game itself as well as the communication between the dev team and their playerbase. Say what you want about production time, but I've been—and will continue to be—as patient as the dev team need me to be, because everything they've released—everything that I've seen and played with, anyway—has been nothing short of great.

Now, this isn't just me trying to kiss up to the dev team, believe it or not. I've had my fair share of suggestions, criticisms, and I've even gotten impatient now and again for certain features to be released. However, the indie game development scene has left me pretty jaded; I've seen hundreds of promising indie titles come and go, most of them abandoned in their first year while others turn out to be blatant scams. Project Zomboid, on the other hand, is something special. I've never felt disheartened after visiting the website for updates, and the amount of communication on the 'News & Dev' page is, quite frankly, insane. It always gets me excited, interested, and on one or two occasions I've even considered sending you guys my resume to join the team—however possible.

Long story short;

We're a fair ways through 2020 already, and Project Zomboid first released in 2011—I believe—and 2013 for the Steam version. Regardless, development has been going for nearly a decade and, to me, knowing the scope of the team behind it and having had personal experience in game development and QA, that's just crazy.

You guys are great and I'd like for you to know that your work is appreciated.

Thanks, guys.

I haven't been playing PZ as long as you, I think I got this game in 2015, hard to remember. I took a break from this game for about a year, now I'm back and playing the IWBUMS branch. All I can say is wow, this game is so damn good now. All the additions and changes have brought a ton of depth to the game that was lacking before. It's not just a good sim of the zombie apocalypse: it's the best damn game of this genre, period.

On 7/1/2020 at 9:41 PM, sadpickle said:

I haven't been playing PZ as long as you, I think I got this game in 2015, hard to remember. I took a break from this game for about a year, now I'm back and playing the IWBUMS branch. All I can say is wow, this game is so damn good now. All the additions and changes have brought a ton of depth to the game that was lacking before. It's not just a good sim of the zombie apocalypse: it's the best damn game of this genre, period.

I have to agree. After playing around with the new IWBUMS branch, it feels in many respects like an entirely new game. Very familiar to how Zomboid was in its earlier stages, but with a lot more depth than it used to have. It can be as brutal or as forgiving as you'd like, but it never feels cheap or unfair.

Same here. I was originally going to grab it on Desura, but had to wait for my payday and the day I got paid it popped up on Steam. So I tried the demo and felt like it didn't really give you enough time to even scratch the surface, so I just bought it and have not regretted it once. As for dev time, yeah it's slow, but good things take time to make. Add to that that updates have generally been very solid with few major game breaking bugs if any.

I love this game and I love the devs. They really are pouring their hearts into this project and in my opinion it shows. 

This is one of my favorite games. The only reason it is not my favorite becouse my gf found it to be to much for her so I can't share the expirience with her.

But as far as just the game goes this is the best zombie survival game that I know of. If they never added anything new to the game from now on and if this game cost me 100 euros I would still say money well spent. 1,085 hrs on record and plan for much much more.

Big thank you to the devolepers. I did buy this game for everyone I know and still have 3 copyes in my steam gift invetory that are waiting in case I get to know someone new I would want to play this game with. Would even have more than 3 but steam no longer lets you buy for inventory

Archived