Wiki :-)

Kirrus

9 minutes ago, nolanri said:

I'm very curious as to how much your paying for this spam protect service. 

I could so stop the spammers for you.

Something like $30 a year. The broad text filter is working best, it seems :(

How would you stop them? Without the filters and service, we get a minium of ~60-100 an hour. Cleaning up is a case of just deleting everything in the last day or so.

• 1 month later...

Hello.

I seek help about your wiki. I am French and wanted to upgrade / translate some articles, but I simply can't register. The CAPTCHA is not showing ( any browser ) so I can't register to the wiki.

Can you check this ? Thank you.

Regards.

Peter

EDIT: anyway ... the CAPTCHA finally displayed, at the bottom of everything. Sorry :)

Edited by Peter Bear
found solution

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello

I'm afraid my expressions may be rude or hard to read, because I'm not so good at English.

But please, please be patient.

I'm going to edit, but this massage displayed.

''The text you wanted to save was blocked by the spam filter. This is probably caused by a link to a blacklisted external site.

The following text is what triggered our spam filter: NUMBUR''

But there're not link at page.

What should I do?

Edited by alicia_praesepe

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/12/2016 at 11:15 AM, alicia_praesepe said:

Hello

I'm afraid my expressions may be rude or hard to read, because I'm not so good at English.

But please, please be patient.

I'm going to edit, but this massage displayed.

''The text you wanted to save was blocked by the spam filter. This is probably caused by a link to a blacklisted external site.

The following text is what triggered our spam filter: NUMBUR''

But there're not link at page.

What should I do?

Just the text 'numbur' is apparently enough to trigger the filter. Did you mean 'number'?

1 hour ago, alicia_praesepe said:

'number' is correct. I made a mistake.

probably, This text is displayed only at the main page...

Aye, unfortunately, spammers went on a bit of a rampage, and we had to make the filters super aggressive. If anyone knows a better way to handle them, we'd be grateful! :)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A Suggestion to reduce the registration of spammers: After registering on pzwiki.net, and verifying email.  Retract and Do not yet give any edit or post privileges. As a final step in confirming the mediawiki account.  They must come to the indiestone.com forum login (or register) then go to a page on TIS forum that only logged in users can access and confirm their wiki account by entering their username in a form which activates their wiki account. 

A custom extra activation step like this will mind boggle any mainstream mediawiki spam bots. And should not inconvenience normal users as most would have TIS accounts anyway.  It also has the added bonus of you knowing what forum user has what wiki account.  So if need be, you could also restrict activation of wiki accounts to only allow activation if the forum account has x number of posts, to make it even harder for spamming.   And assuming both sites (TIS and pzwiki) are both on the same web server it would be fairly simple to implement.

• 5 months later...

Hi

On 3/14/2017 at 6:25 PM, nolanri said:

A Suggestion to reduce the registration of spammers: After registering on pzwiki.net, and verifying email.  Retract and Do not yet give any edit or post privileges. As a final step in confirming the mediawiki account.  They must come to the indiestone.com forum login (or register) then go to a page on TIS forum that only logged in users can access and confirm their wiki account by entering their username in a form which activates their wiki account. 

A custom extra activation step like this will mind boggle any mainstream mediawiki spam bots. And should not inconvenience normal users as most would have TIS accounts anyway.  It also has the added bonus of you knowing what forum user has what wiki account.  So if need be, you could also restrict activation of wiki accounts to only allow activation if the forum account has x number of posts, to make it even harder for spamming.   And assuming both sites (TIS and pzwiki) are both on the same web server it would be fairly simple to implement.

I have just created an account with on the PZ Wiki looking to contribute. Has a system like the above been put into place? Or can I just begin adding to it?

Shall I just try to prioritise what's listed on the community portal? (Updated May 17) And do you have any guidelines/rules besides those listed on the CP?

Thanks.

• 1 year later...