Wiki :-)

Kirrus

Could I recommend adding a PZ version number to the standard pages, and update it if you update a page? That way people using the wiki will have a fair idea if the information is relevant/up-to-date.

The downside to that, is it would mean having to edit every single page you're setting versions on everytime there's an update, even if that thing doesn't change

The downside to that, is it would mean having to edit every single page you're setting versions on everytime there's an update, even if that thing doesn't change

Oh no, just update the version number when you update actual content, not when new versions are released.  Doing it like you say would add far too much time and would only be marginally beneficial.

The version number is to give people an idea of how close to the current version the wiki page is.  At the moment I have no idea if the data on the pages is relevant to v27, v26 or a much earlier build (granted some pages already allude to the version they work with), but as someone who has come to the game new and fresh, there was a little learning required to know what was relevant.

Oh no, just update the version number when you update actual content, not when new versions are released.  Doing it like you say would add far too much time and would only be marginally beneficial.

The version number is to give people an idea of how close to the current version the wiki page is.  At the moment I have no idea if the data on the pages is relevant to v27, v26 or a much earlier build (granted some pages already allude to the version they work with), but as someone who has come to the game new and fresh, there was a little learning required to know what was relevant.

We've done this before, and the standardization of pages took a lot of time to do. Coupled with the fact that people would say pages were outdated (when they weren't) due to the incorrect version numbering. Maybe see of figuring a decent way to do it in the future, but I won't be able to look at it for a while.

I just reorganized the Farming Guide, Farming, and Skill books pages to make them a little more reader friendly and clean up some old information. Help is certainly needed to fill out all of the data and link the appropriate items throughout the Farming Guide in particular. The cooking recipes aren't very complete either as far as I can tell.

I just reorganized the Farming Guide, Farming, and Skill books pages to make them a little more reader friendly and clean up some old information. Help is certainly needed to fill out all of the data and link the appropriate items throughout the Farming Guide in particular. The cooking recipes aren't very complete either as far as I can tell.

Just went and patrolled the pages, looks good. Also cooking recipes wouldn't surprise me.

If only we could do something about all the stubs in the wiki, my life would be complete...

Every item (even the ones that have no purpose) having it's own page is just insanity. We really need to collect like items into pages like, "Food", "Weapons", "Carpentry Items", "Fishing Items", "Farming items", "Vanity Items", etc. etc. I just really don't have the time or inclination to do it all alone.

If only we could do something about all the stubs in the wiki, my life would be complete...

Every item (even the ones that have no purpose) having it's own page is just insanity. We really need to collect like items into pages like, "Food", "Weapons", "Carpentry Items", "Fishing Items", "Farming items", "Vanity Items", etc. etc. I just really don't have the time or inclination to do it all alone.

There are many things I want to be doing with the wiki, I just indulge in a lot of side projects and trying to get them to all roll down. There was a suggestion I liked a while ago regarding the stubs of rolling the items from one page into a specific subsection (like Produce)

Like so: http://minecraft.wikia.com/wiki/Flowers

I quite like that.

Hey! :D I see that many things our outdated in the wiki and also most of the new features are completely missing (totally fine to be fair not picking a fight here :D ), I was wondering if I could somehow contribute? I have a nature to observe and document everything I see which helps a lot with games :) If I can put together a word doc with all the info, will someone moderate it or I can just upload to the Wiki and it gets moderated there? If I can help I gladly will! :)

Just edit the wiki pages as you come across stuff that is outdated.

Basically this.

I do a regular patrol of changes made to the wiki, so if anything needs to be change, I usually notify the editor and we talk it out. So jump in and edit. :)

• 2 weeks later...

This is probably a dumb question but... anyway : how to edit recipes?

Code snip from the wiki as an example :

{| class="wikitable sortable" style="text-align:center;" 
|- 
! Name 
! class="unsortable" | Recipe 
! class="unsortable" | Description

{{RecipeLookup|4011}}
|}

I'm very familiar with the concept of classes and such. I understand that RecipeLookup is probably a function call and it bring upfront the recipe with 4011 as his ID. My question is : where on earth is the recipe 4011 stored on the wiki? Some of these recipe are well out of date and I want to update them but I can't find the source. 

I'm very familiar with the concept of classes and such. I understand that RecipeLookup is probably a function call and it bring upfront the recipe with 4011 as his ID. My question is : where on earth is the recipe 4011 stored on the wiki? Some of these recipe are well out of date and I want to update them but I can't find the source. 

RecipeLookup is a template, its page is here. Read more on how templates work here.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been trying to get as much of the cooking update into the PZ Wiki and update some of the out-of-date pages.

• If you're interested in what ingredient can be used in which recipe, check out the "Recipe Ingredients" page (link here)
  • If you want to see the details on the customizable recipes (for lack of an official term), check out the "Soup Recipe", "Stew Recipe", "Salad Recipe", "Stir Fry Recipe", "Sandwich Recipe", "Burger Recipe", "Pie Recipe", and "Cake Recipe" pages.
  • More generally, check out the "Items" page for other info (needs more work though)

I'm still working on a few of the pages, so some of it is still a work in progress of course---^ . Soup and Stew are about 95% now that I've tested the mechanics, but I'm still working on Salad onward.

But until then, if you want to see the raw data from the in-game testing, check out the RecipeTestList.png file on the wiki (link here).  It's also available at the bottom of the "Recipe Ingredients" page. 

Spoiler alert: It include 95% of all custom recipe ingredients, so if you want to figure them out on your own, don't look.

Exactly what I was searching for, thanks harakka.

Edit: Welll, maybe not exactly what I was looking for, anyhow, I'll give it a read.

Hey, if you are still having trouble with this, start with the Template:RecipeLookup page on the wiki.  If you click on the edit at the very top of the page (not the one in the documentation), you can edit the original recipes which get pulled by the template. 

For adding new recipes, there is a brief description in the documentation, and a little bit more info on the discussion page.  You basically have to add the recipe with a new index number, and then add a recipe lookup line that calls that index to the documentation to get it to show up on the recipe lookup page. 

I'm sure all of this is more straightforward to those of you more familiar with wikis and coding.  It took me a day and some reading to get it straight and fix a problem I created with an extra }}'s. 

I didn't have much time to invest in this matter, but thanks for the tip Hemilash! I was aware of this page and I was pretty sure it was supposed to be THE page where I could modify recipes, but, OF COURSE, I was using the wrong edit button the whole time haha...

I didn't have much time to invest in this matter, but thanks for the tip Hemilash! I was aware of this page and I was pretty sure it was supposed to be THE page where I could modify recipes, but, OF COURSE, I was using the wrong edit button the whole time haha...

I totally understand.  I spent almost a full day just trying to figure it out and then fix a massive error I created with an extra set of brackets. 

I updated the instructions for adding new recipes today, so hopefully it makes more sense now. 

• 2 weeks later...

The wiki now has a twitter account, which at the moment I will be maintaining. @ZomboidWiki

I also (as usual) would like to make a push for any editors who can spare their time as there are still pages that really need some love. Specifically features. At the moment the main area for the wiki has been survival guides and such, along with items and crafting however a lot of the feature pages (such as Trapping) haven't gotten a lot of attention. Anybody who could spare some time and perhaps touch these pages up would be greatly appreciated.

The wiki now has a twitter account, which at the moment I will be maintaining. @ZomboidWiki

I also (as usual) would like to make a push for any editors who can spare their time as there are still pages that really need some love. Specifically features. At the moment the main area for the wiki has been survival guides and such, along with items and crafting however a lot of the feature pages (such as Trapping) haven't gotten a lot of attention. Anybody who could spare some time and perhaps touch these pages up would be greatly appreciated.

I would love to help but no idea where to start. How do I ensure the information I have is right or current? 

I would love to help but no idea where to start. How do I ensure the information I have is right or current? 

Play the game in all honesty. Go through threads that might of announced features, or update threads with changelogs. Mainly it's just playing the game to see if the information is current. If it requires more in depth information, then looking into the games scripts can help find that information.

Play the game in all honesty. Go through threads that might of announced features, or update threads with changelogs. Mainly it's just playing the game to see if the information is current. If it requires more in depth information, then looking into the games scripts can help find that information.

Can you point me to a thread that tells me how to look at the code please. I'll start working on trapping page asap

Can you point me to a thread that tells me how to look at the code please. I'll start working on trapping page asap

Don't really need to look at the code if you are writing about the feature in all honesty. Anything that would need documenting has probably already been documented in the items page.