Shouting mechanics - dialogue variations. How do they work?

Aprch

Hello everyone. I'm new around here! I started fiddling around with LUA recently. While I don't know much of specific programming languages, I do know how they work... somewhat.

So my question here is this, I was hoping you'd point me out in the right direction.

Take for example the Your first PZ LUA script mod guide function:

function sayGoodbye()    getPlayer():Say("Hasta la vista zombie!");end

What I wanted to do here basically was to add more than one option of dialogue for everytime the function would execute, so I made an array with the different options, and told the function to call a random number from the array.

Some experimenting led me to this:

function sayGoodbye ()	local arraySpeech = {"aaa", "bbb", "ccc"}	getPlayer () :Say (arraySpeech[math.random(#arraySpeech )]);

It didn't worked.

I'm not -entirely- familiar with LUA yet so maybe I'm missing something here, so that's why I wanted to ask about the shouting mechanics.

How is it exactly that the event gets more than one dialogue variation when it's triggered? And if I wanted to change what they say, where exactly is that located? I would have learned it from the shouting code itself but I can't seem to find it. I don't really know where to look though.

Oh well, I hope I wasn't being too confusing with this, sometimes it can get tricky to explain this kind of stuff when english is not your first language :P so yeah, thanks in advance.

Cheers!

Shouting is hardcoded in Java atm (can't remember the class though).

You can take a look at the code of my player taunts mod:

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/39-player-taunts/

Just a random guess, but try:

function sayGoodbye ()    local arraySpeech = {"aaa", "bbb", "ccc"}    getPlayer () :Say (arraySpeech[ZombRand(#arraySpeech )]);end

Yes, that did the trick. Thanks a lot!

I'll definitely check your mod out, lots of useful stuff I can learn from that for sure. :geek:

Edit: I'm not entirely sure, but apparently it only displays 2 of the 3 alternatives... might be an extremely random case, but perhaps it is something else?