Did you just make foraging and fishing harder/impossible?

gayonne

Hello Devs:

I'm new to this forum but not so new to PZ. Bought it years ago but only recently restarted playing it after learning about Build 41, and I'm enjoying it a lot! Thanks for your great work!

I'm on vanilla Build 41.38 (absolutely no mods added), playing a previous save from Build 41.37 (which was updated to 41.38). I'm playing the Builder mode (which, btw, is still very hard for me), and my character happens to have survived till early November and still going strong.  Everything in 41.37 was fine until after the 41.38 update, when I noticed the following issues:

- I regularly forage and fish and used to receive decent loot even during early November. However, immediately after the update, all foraging and fishing yielded ZERO loot even if the abundance bar still shows up as (and remains frozen at) 100%. There was once when I went to a lake which showed only 41% abundance, but when I starting fishing there again, it jumped back to 100% but it just won't come down and doesn't yield anything (not even shoes!!)!  I also had "lucky" trait but after hours of in-game time, with my character becoming ridiculously tired, the forests and lakes just won't give me ANYTHING AT ALL!  What happened there? Was it because I'm into November and so there's no yield? I thought it should only reduce my yield during winter, not completely wipe it out, no? (and I'm not even into December yet!)

- I saw that some of the updates for 41.38 related to blood dirtying cars, but after the update the existing vehicles looked undamaged. I had a car which had its front windscreen previously looking smashed (and it was already at flashing red condition (<10%)), but after 41.38 it stopped looking like it was smashed and I had almost forgotten that it was smashed until I checked the vehicle mechanics again and there it was flashing red again. Something relating to the texturing of the vehicles must have gone terribly wrong! I prefer seeing smashed/scratched windows, doors and hoods so as to visually display the vehicle conditions, but having the occasional blood spots on the car would be a nice addition if it doesn't replace the textures completely.

It would be great if you could fix these issues, or at least let me know what I've done (or thought) wrong, thank you!

Hello Devs:

To show you what I mean above, please check out the following link to a video I created to show you the buggy fishing issue. Please enjoy while you figure out a solution for me (this is more pressing than the car blood texture issue): 

Hello Devs:

It looks like Build 41.39 did not address the fishing/foraging issue. I tried it just now and there's still zero yield despite 100% abundance. 

Would you please let me know what other information or files you need so that you could check out and fix the issue? It also looks like I'm the only one on this forum with this weird bug and maybe that's why it's not getting the attention it needs.  I've come a long way to have built this character up to what she is now and there's so much more she could do going forward. I'd much rather have her die from being eaten by a zombie horde (perhaps due to my own stupidity) than from starvation caused by a bug in the game!  

From November to February chances of success in foraging and fishing go down. You can try Fishing between 4-6 am and 6-8 pm and see if that helps (from PZ wiki).

What are your character skill levels?

Lastly, it could be as simple as needing to start a new game as an update comes up - that's what IWBUMS is all about .

2 hours ago, Pandorea said:

From November to February chances of success in foraging and fishing go down. You can try Fishing between 4-6 am and 6-8 pm and see if that helps (from PZ wiki).

What are your character skill levels?

Lastly, it could be as simple as needing to start a new game as an update comes up - that's what IWBUMS is all about .

Yes Pandorea I know that the yield during Nov - Feb would be lower than normal, whether for fishing or foraging, but the abundance bar below should show a lower abundance level, not 100% but then not yielding anything at all after hours of fishing/foraging. Immediately before the updates, I did a foraging run (also in November) and I also yielded some berries, mushrooms and crickets. I can try the times you suggested and see if it makes a difference but I seriously doubt it.

Skill level-wise, foraging is at 3+ while fishing is at zero. Even at zero, I still managed to find something (even shoes) immediately before the updates.

There's too much to lose right now to start a new game. I could just do it for the sake of getting the game to work again.

BTW, how do I access saves?

Pandorea YOU ROCK!! 😍

So, I went back to the lake for some fishing during around 17:30 till around 21:00 and I managed to catch 3 decent-sized fish and a pair of socks!! Yes I used up all my crickets but I had enough worms to get by. See the attached “screenshot” I took with my cellphone for the fishing results. Now I can have something fresh to last me another few days! 

Now I just need to figure out if foraging is still feasible at all in winter and if so during what times of the day. I just saw the first snow in-game, which was beautiful, so I need to try and survive this...

So, it looks like the problem is solved for now. Thanks a lot for your help and patience!

526A9090-8199-4E29-A25E-45E0ED203ECD.jpeg

Edited by gayonne
Typo

On 6/23/2020 at 1:02 PM, gayonne said:

Immediately before the updates, I did a foraging run (also in November) and I also yielded some berries, mushrooms and crickets. 

It should be impossible to get any berries (or insect or mushroom) in November, right ?

11 hours ago, Elsayal said:

It should be impossible to get any berries (or insect or mushroom) in November, right ?

I remember receiving something including berries (but very little mushrooms) and a couple of worms/crickets. Perhaps because of the "lucky" trait I had? It's hard to tell really, but I don't want to waste time foraging now that I figured I'd probably yield nothing during Nov - Feb (apart from branches, twigs and stones). Fishing is probably my best bet for winter, besides raiding another town's houses for chips and cans...