Game's Direction

Shinyshark

Hello players and developers of Project Zomboid.

I had a question specifically for the developers of the game, but if you as a player want to weigh in you can too. I wanted to ask the developers what their vision for the game is. I have seen the road map and we've been waiting for Multiplayer for a while now. I understand that these things take time. However, I was wondering what criteria they specifically want to have in their build before moving on to the next part. What do you want the game to be identified as? 

I'm asking this question because I am a bit confused on what the direction of this game is. I understand the pinpoints of the roadmap, but I would like to know a bit more about the details of those sections of the game and if you as developers have planned for them already or if you're going on a build-by-build phase.

Thank you!

Hey! Sorry am finding the question a little vague, in the sense that our plan for the most part is pretty transparent. The things left on the list (after multiplayer is reintegrated) are hunting, NPCs and story mode. With other stuff that is more fluid and depending on what feels is needed as builds progress, but they are the main biggies.

In terms of overall vision, outside the planned story mode which will be a more narrative experience, I guess it's essentially to create the ultimate zombie apocalypse 'story generator' (story generator being like Rimworld, Dwarf Fortress, Crusader Kings 2 where the game has enough complexity, variety and possibility that the gameplay becomes like a unique story every time that people can recount to each other and that story be as unique to them as possible.)

Essentially a Walking Dead episode generator where every time you play you have an interesting story that develops through the course of the game. NPCs will be a big factor in this.

As to details on our plans for NPCs etc, we've got a new rule where we avoid talking about them too much until they are planned for the next build in dev, since we've had problems with early hyping in the past, but our plans for them have been spoken about in the past and its all still valid. Am sure others will hook you up with old Mondoids talking about our plans.

I also want to add too that this game is not like one of the indie games on Steam that gets a few updates and BAM we got 1.0 now and out of EA. These are the way-long-term projects that plan on going as in-depth as possible on how complex it is. The best comparisons I can make are older Rougelikes, where the graphics are kinda meh but the insane amount of content overwhelms the fact it took 15 years to pop out.

Hopefully the devs don't mind me mentioning another game, but funny enough this game reminds me of Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. The game was first developed in 1997 and ended development in the mid-2000s. Another dev took it under their wing and have been putting out updates as long as literally this year. Basically development is long, but everything they add is usually very well developed and is a great addition to the game. As much as I do give Indie Stone some flak, when they do release content, it is worth the wait since it is good content, and any reworked content is always an upgrade from before. I've loved the newest update to the animations and models, and they are at an amazing place right now, and I know IS will be continuing it.

Archived