Books rework suggestion

pzfreak

Hello,

So this thread will be about books. normal red books that reduce boredom and stress from character.

I have an idea which you might find interesting.

So first of all change "book" item to 100 (or 20 or 50 or 1000- i like 100 because with book weight 0.5 kg all 100 books will fit to 1 big bookcase)) items with title and author (easy to get this either 100 best book or some fictional). Every title will be different - making it collectibles (is someone is bored or like to collect stuff).

Every book will not give any reduction until is read (so it will have hidden values not seen until character will actually read this book). When first read it will reveal stats for this book (simple reroll of numbers - will give impression that character might like some books more that's why they have higher stats). Also add stat to 1 book (or give a chance of 1% to every book) to become "My Favorite book" - after first read it will give better than others stats (so imagine running away from home and grabbing just your favorite book).

I think it might be interesting to slowly collect those books (they can multiply on map ofc not like 1 each) and see which book your character find as favorite (imagine lumberjack who likes the most some cheesy romance lol)

• 2 weeks later...

Might be a bit much to add, but I'm a fan of the idea.

You could also boil it down to genres, which—while not as much fun to collect, would make the mechanic work just the same; your character has a random value attributed to them upon being generated, which means they'll enjoy a particular genre more and others less.

I'd also say that you could probably find out the stats of a book or the genre of it by "inspecting" it rather than reading it entirely.

I'm pretty sure there used to be a mod that did exactly what you're describing. I'm too lazy to go searching for it - but it was call the "Literature" mod or something like that. It was quite a while ago, though, so it's highly doubtful that said mod would work with the current version of PZ.