Build 41 MSR 700/788 rifles need a few changes.

VunderFiz

ok so. both the MSR rifles are basically never used by anybody... why?

well they both have a 3 round external magazine (which isn't practical or make any sense) and are very loud firearms, by the time you have fully loaded or put a new mag in hordes of infected will be on you, and with only 3 shots available you might as well just kill yourself.

the MSR rifles should be changed in the way their magazines work.

(personal preference) make them like what the firearms they are based off of (Winchester hunting rifles) and make them have internal magazines (meaning no magazine to pull out) and have the .308 MSR rifle (i forget if it's the 788 or the 700) have 5 rounds while the .223 version has 10 (.223 is smaller than .308)

(what would be easier to do and would be personally ok with) have it so that the .308 magazines have 5 rounds and the .223 magazines have 10... honestly that change is probably the easiest thing ever and could be done in a matter of a minute

and yeah you could use the RifleClipFix mod or some of the others BUT that becomes in issue when mods that change the entire items.txt file because that breaks every mod that uses/modifies a bit of the items.txt file will become NULL and not work until the mod that DOES change the entire file gets removed

Edited by VunderFiz

even if they are based off of 3 round rifles which are not common any wheres because it's not at all practical in any sense. it's still stupid. nobody uses them because of the low amount of bullets per mag... and besides if they where based off of 3 round rifles the magazines would reflect that (visual model) but they are CLEARLY the size of normal magazines we would see (.308 magazine is clearly a 5 round and .223 is clearly a 10 round).

and what the magazine is based off of is just that... a magazine... you can make a magazine bigger very easily... and as i said the models in game are not 3 round magazine models... 3 round magazines for .308/.223 are very tiny compared to what they are in game.

sure it's based on these supposed "3 round magazines" which as i said are so few and far between because ITS NOT PRACTICAL but ITS NOT GOOD WITH GAMEPLAY you have to think about gameplay over realism sometimes...

Edited by VunderFiz
making one large comment

38 minutes ago, VunderFiz said:

even if they are based off of 3 round rifles which are not common any wheres because it's not at all practical in any sense. it's still stupid. nobody uses them because of the low amount of bullets per mag... and besides if they where based off of 3 round rifles the magazines would reflect that (visual model) but they are CLEARLY the size of normal magazines we would see (.308 magazine is clearly a 5 round and .223 is clearly a 10 round).

and what the magazine is based off of is just that... a magazine... you can make a magazine bigger very easily... and as i said the models in game are not 3 round magazine models... 3 round magazines for .308/.223 are very tiny compared to what they are in game.

sure it's based on these supposed "3 round magazines" which as i said are so few and far between because ITS NOT PRACTICAL but ITS NOT GOOD WITH GAMEPLAY you have to think about gameplay over realism sometimes...

i know this comment makes little to no sense... that's what happens when you take three comments and turn them into one

I know it's based off the model 700. but the common model 700 has a 5 round internal magazine (my family owns at least 12 different variations of the gun... all of which have a 5 round internally fed magazine) just because it says it can support a 3 round external mag doesn't mean it's thee most common...image.png.012585a6f7bcbfe5809a1fc8dcc74a1f.png

right here it says it can have a 3 to 6 round INTERNAL magazine or a detachable 10 round magazine. you guys have a 3 round detachable magazine (also known as external) but as i've said... 3 round external mags are not practical at all because of how often you need to reload and waste time which will end your save quickly.

Edited by VunderFiz
adding info

Can't really keep any kind of distance with effective range of [10]. I get that as your skill increases its effective max range goes up at a higher rate than pistols... But the starting max range of [10] is too low for a bolty... especially when compared to a long revolver which has [11]. Pistols are from 7-11, and rifles are pretty much 10 across the board with the exception of Assault Rifle which is 11...

A noob shooter is ineffective at longer ranges, but that's where the hitchance increase per skill comes in.... Max effective range should be more of physical characteristic of the cartridge...  whether it hits or not is another thing...

I adjust rifles in my game to the 15-17 range...  that seems to feel about right..

Getting tired of you guys knowing the answer but arguing anyway.

Rifles are high level and disproportionately benefit from aiming, as you already know. Starting range doesn’t matter. Noobs don’t matter by design. The only intersecting bit there is the one point difference between it and the revolver/assault rifle.

It’s meant for a specific purpose — high level sniping of animals and players. Low magazine size and reload time balances that.

13 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Getting tired of you guys knowing the answer but arguing anyway.

Rifles are high level and disproportionately benefit from aiming, as you already know. Starting range doesn’t matter. Noobs don’t matter by design. The only intersecting bit there is the one point difference between it and the revolver/assault rifle.

It’s meant for a specific purpose — high level sniping of animals and players. Low magazine size and reload time balances that.

It's really unfortunate that you're reading things as an Argument... because it's just discussion with suggestions in the suggestion section of the discussion board.

1 hour ago, Arsenal26 said:

It's really unfortunate that you're reading things as an Argument... because it's just discussion with suggestions in the suggestion section of the discussion board.

Yes. A suggestion with a clear answer.

Learn to accept “no” gracefully.