Realtime foraging, starvation, fire, calories.

Grelko

First off, might I just say that this is a great game and I enjoy playing it very much.

I wasn't sure if I should have made separate topics for each of these.

IWBUMS 41.37

I have the game set for Realtime.  My character is ridiculously tired after only 10-20 minutes of foraging (in game time), but they can go fishing most of the day and not even get slightly tired.

In Realtime, my character almost dies from starvation after only 2-3 days.  I feel that this should take atleast a month or longer with absolutely nothing to eat (in game time).

Regarding fire, you can make a notched plank fairly easily, but there is no way to make the sturdy piece of wood, unless you happen to find a saw. I think this game needs a (Bow drill) added to the survivalist recipes, so that if you can't find matches or a lighter, you can still make a fire without needing to find a saw.  You would at least need the notched plank, some type of knife or sharp stone to carve the piece of wood into a point, a piece of string or even a rag to make the bow drill, then a couple twigs or some paper to use as tinder.

The calories on many of the food items are incorrect.  Besides the total calories...   the fat, protein and carbohydrates for many items, add up to completely different numbers.

Just for reference,

Carbs = 4 calories

Protein = 4 calories

Fat = 9 calories

I hope that I don't sound rude while typing bugs and other things out. I have been a hobby game tester for over 20 years and can be quite thorough (including walkthroughs). I also play many survival games besides PZ, like cataclysm DDA, UnRealworld, and Neo Scavenger, to name a few.  I was playing PZ 40.43 for a long time and found many bugs, which I posted in a private discord server.  I am not sure if you would like to see the list of things I came across, since it was an older version of the game and they may have been patched by now. (If you would be interested, it might take me a while to find the information because, it was a probably at least a year ago, if the discord server still exists).

Edited by Grelko

Thanks for the feedback. We may strive to be realistic, but allowing players to go a month without food would, for the most part, remove food as a practical concern in the game particularly for the majority of players who probably don't survive more than a month or two. It's one of the situations we need to prioritise gameplay over realism. As for foraging tiredness, perhaps this needs rebalancing, but comparing it to fishing, a renowned relaxation pastime doesn't really seem fair comparison. I'm pretty sure hunting for berries in the woods would get tiring a ton sooner than chilling beside a lake drinking beers and waiting for a fish to bite.

Reading what you have posted, I understand that going a month without food could cause a problem. If you didn't need to eat for that long because of "real time", you could very well explore most of the map and gather years worth of supplies in that time frame.

There might be a way to add malnutrition to the game, having your character slowly getting weaker or slower if they don't get the proper vitamins/minerals from food, especially during the winter when the chance for fishing and traps are slim.

As for fishing, I meant spear fishing, not a rod. Then again, you would "technically" just be standing around until you see a fish close enough to the shoreline to take a stab at.

On a side note, even with everything set to "extremely rare", you still find quite a lot of supplies. This doesn't really matter though, since I don't have to take everything.

By the way, I never got a chance to read the updates or test it yet, but did anyone happen to fix the problem with the (player made) sealed jars of food going bad within a few days, or melted icecream never going bad?

Edited by Grelko

^ Did you cook the sealed jars in fire? If you don't then they spoil quickly. I believe that's to properly 'seal' and pasteurize the contents irl so that's why you have to in game. Hope it helps. Melted Icecream is a gift from spiffo. 

5 hours ago, xclickitx said:

^ Did you cook the sealed jars in fire? If you don't then they spoil quickly.

I'm not actually sure on that anymore, it was a long time back and I haven't tried since then. Once I come across more jars, I can give it a try. I probably forgot to cook them at the time.

If you forage until you're ridiculously tired, sleep, then forage again until you're tired, it won't let you sleep. Not enough time passed since you slept last.

Edit - I had my character rest until the bar was full, then walked outside the cabin and sat on the ground for a little while. In total, it might have been 30 minutes of "game time" and now I can have them sleep again.

coUmjft.png

Edited by Grelko