Smoker Trait Rework suggestion

pzfreak

Hello,

So as fellow smoker i always take that trait to add a little bit of roleplay in the game.

I think i have an idea how it could be improve to play bigger part in the game and (for me at least) would be much more interesting. Please let me know what you think about it

So lets start:

Smoking by itself will have its own invisible "bar" :

1. non-smoker = to become smoker needs to have 100 points

2.Light smoker - to become heavy smoker needs to have 500 points, 

3. Heavy smoker - needs to maintain 500 points.

Every smoke cigarette would give you 5 points instantly, but points will degrade every 1h = 1 point. 

Trait itself (to choose on open menu) will be separated by "light smoker" (giving less extra points) and "heavy smoker" (like smoker now). Also they will trigger carving at different times. Light smoker every 5 hours (so looking at above when 1 cigarette will be smoke every 5h your "bar" will not move) and heavy smoker will trigger mood every hour.

Apart of that there will be % that you can become smoke after every cigarette. It will work similar to being infected (at least mechanism will be similar behind the scene):

1. for non smoker - if smoke you will have 20% chance to become light smoker straight away)

2. for light smoker you will have 5% chance to become heavy smoker straight away. 

3. Heavy smoker - 1% chance to fill up bar completely (wasing any quitting progress)

This mechanism would mitigate real life where some non-smoker can get addicted even after 1 cigarette or smoking for enough long etc.

There should also be "helpers" for triggering carving:

1. Coffee - should instantly trigger carving for cigarette

2. Booze - should decrease timing between cigarettes (% might be bound to how drunk you are - so more, you carve cigarette faster)

3. Panic - should increase carving for cigarette

4. Hungry should increase carving

Quitting:

Of course since it will be more complex trait there should be a way to quit. Difficult but possible. 

For light smoker - it is relatively easy - when "bar" will go to 0 you jump to non-smoker, however depend of how long you were "light smoker" your mood might get a bit of buff (so will change faster). and it can be wasted by smoking even 1 cigarette if you are unlucky (and get chance 

For heavy smoker - this is more complex, first you need to become light smoker, than non smoker. 

Things to help you quit . The same way like smoking has its own "boosters" there should be a ways to slow down carving of cigarette and help you soothe your nerves:

1. Tea - should slow down carving for 8 hours (making tea in game more relevant)

2. Being well fed - should remove carving. opposite to being hungry

3. Nicorrete - new medicine item, very rare but when taken can remove carving instantly and reset carving timer

4. Being winded - any sort of exercise (which is shown in game as winded) should decrease carving - making it interesting choice if you have no access to any other, mitigate real life and add surprising bonus to negative  trait making it wanted but might be dangerous

Future improvements:

Kind of cigarette - if you choose smoker trait you can choose which kind if cigarettes are your favorite - light, strong, menthol. Adding different kinds allow you to play around with a timer a bit more making strong cigarettes giving more points, light less and push down carving a bit less as well - so it can help for heavy smoker to fight against addiction and help with light smokes (% chance of become heavy smoker would be the same) 

What is more when smoking not your favorite pack of cigarettes would have negative effect on bar and might slightly affect your mood (person would not get depressed but definitely move faster to become heavy smoker and might not simply like those cigarettes)

Let me know what you think, i personally would like to see something like that in game as it would add additional goal (quit smoking) and can give some more choices around your day to day game.