IWBUMS 41.37 won't start anymore

piel

Question

Hi,

I took a pause with PZ about 2 months ago and today i was unable to get it to start.

Here is what is have done so far:

Uninstalled and reinstalled PZ and checked file integrity in steam.

Deleted my user dir and this caused that i could get the 32bit version to start but after character creation it still crashes. (i used the 64bit version before)

Even trying to save changes in options cause a crash.

I played this game for almost 300 hours on the the same laptop without much problem.

Ideas?

console.txt logs.zip

5 answers to this question

It could be because of the RAM, since 64 bit uses somewhat more ram than 32 bit. And that could be crashing the game.
The game also needs even more ram because of the weaker graphics card.

Question, have you updated the drivers from the official Intel website?:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/81499/Intel-HD-Graphics-4000

Usually that fixes these errors, though there are a lot of variables that go into it like background programs, game settings, computer settings and so on. It is pretty hard to figure out how to make the latest beta run on weaker graphics since every computer has different hardware these days, and while someone with HD 4000 might run it just fine, someone else cannot even launch it.

Either way, I can only really suggest updating the drivers, playing in 32 bit mode and lowering any settings that you can. Maybe even try playing in compatibility mode or disabling the Zoom in game.

As to changing the resolution, you can edit or delete the "options.ini" file in "C:\Users\YourUserName\Zomboid"

I have 8 gigs of RAM and the video drivers are the latest. I am not sure i understand your reasoning because i believe 64bit can address more RAM not use more RAM, i am with you on the video ram though.

It's IWBUMS so i checked my backups and my last save is from early February. Did you change something around that time?

What is the hardware requirement for the beta now? I really like this game but the stable is seriously behind the beta version as fun factor goes.

One of my tries showed a buffer overflow error in the console. Don't the logs tell you exactly what the problem is?

Would this config run PZ?

Acer Nitro 50-600 / i5-9400F / 8GB / 512GB / GTX 1660 Super / Win 10

cheers

It is true that 64 bit allows for more RAM, but that also means that it allocates more RAM to the game and therefore the game uses more RAM that the rest of the computer and the graphics card needs to process the game, if that makes sense. So usually 32 bit is more stable on weaker computers.
There was an update every few weeks, though I dont think there would be anything save breaking. I still recommend starting a new game if there are any problems with the save, just to see if its save specific.

Recommended requirements:

• 64bit OS required
  • Processor: Intel 2.77GHz Dual Core; Quad-core recommended
  • Memory: 4Gb Ram
  • Hard Disk Space: 3gig
  • Video Card: Dedicated graphics card with 1 GB of RAM minimum and GLSL 1.2 support
  • Sound: FMOD compatible sound card

As you can see, a dedicated graphics card is recommended. You have an integrated graphics card and those seem to have a lot of issues with IWBUMS, especially intel series. I saw issues on anything from HD 2000 up to 5600.

The logs tell us what happens during launch, though if its a crash related to the graphics card not being able to handle the game graphics the console just cuts off. Which is what happens in your case as there are no out of memory errors or anything serious that would cause crashes. If it cuts off like this and you have an integrated graphics card and it is the beta version of the game, its very likely that its a graphics card crash based on all that.

The listed configuration would definitely run the game just fine, even a lower spec PC would, though it is important to have a dedicated graphics card as those are powerful enough to run the beta without a hitch and usually have the latest drivers to run it without any issues compared to the integrated graphics cards.

Can you tell us your system specifications and can try lowering any settings in the options? Disabling Zoom, lowering the resolution even, enabling texture compression. From the console it looks like a graphical crash. The IWBUMS version has increased hardware requirements right now and weaker integrated graphics cards have trouble running it.

I5 with intel HD4000 crappy graphics. win 8.1 64bit.

I played around with my settings and was able to play 3 minutes once. I lowered all the settings i could think of but no cigar. Right now after i lowered resolution i can't even get to the main menu anymore. I got a red box with an error counter too the one time it started.

Disabled antivirus and updated drivers to be sure.

A few minor versions ago i was able to play without much problem. I had a few crashes on load but i played hundreds of hours.

Any idea why the 64 bit version wont work at all? i have a 64bit system.

Archived