Lack of Power Source

fcolley3

Would appreciate some feedback on an issue I'm having please. I built a room onto an exiting house. roofed and floored it in. Put a rain barrel up top and plumbed in the sink. No problem. I added a washer and dryer and now, when I try to use the washer or dryer, it says I need a power source. The wall to the house has been destroyed allowing a continuous path from house to new room. The washer is 3 tiles away from the opening of the house, dryer 2 tiles away and the sink, 1 tile away from the opening in the wall. I have installed a wall light above the sink on the wall which works. . So, 1 tile into the new room, I have power. Can someone help me with this please? I'm using build 41.37. Thanks in advance guys.

Yes, this seems to affect all apliances in player-built structures even if electricity is still on. Thanks for the report, I'll pass it on :)

In the meantime, you'll need to use a generator (which will come in handy once the power goes out anyway)

6 hours ago, sprkng said:

Are you talking about using a generator or is the electricity grid still working?

6 hours ago, sprkng said:

Are you talking about using a generator or is the electricity grid still working?

I have a generator but don't want to use it since my electric is still on. I'd like to prolong that whole gas at the gas station thing. In regards to player built structures, why does the wall light in that structure work? One tile into the room and I have electricity for the wall lamp.  I really think it's something else.

On 6/8/2020 at 5:50 AM, Pandorea said:

Yes, this seems to affect all apliances in player-built structures even if electricity is still on. Thanks for the report, I'll pass it on :)

In the meantime, you'll need to use a generator (which will come in handy once the power goes out anyway)

I thought I would add a couple of pics to better review the situation with the added on player built room. The wall light over the sinks works, but the washer and dryer next to the sink does not. Thanks for passing on this info. to the Devs. I thought a couple of pics would help even more.

PZ 1.png

PZ 2.png

18 hours ago, Sanctus said:

Looks to me like the lamp is technically connected to the outside wall of the house and thus has electricity.  The machines are not and thus don't have power.

This is true and thus the dilemma.

So it seems like electricity grid is per tile, so it doesn't matter which wall the lamp is on as long as the tile has power.

And I can't find anything about being able to install electricity in player made structures, only posts asking if this is possible.. Would be cool if you could connect to a nearby house using wire + electrical skill, and maybe add a new extension cord item which doesn't require skill but only has a few tiles range. You could suggest it here

8 hours ago, sprkng said:

So it seems like electricity grid is per tile, so it doesn't matter which wall the lamp is on as long as the tile has power.

And I can't find anything about being able to install electricity in player made structures, only posts asking if this is possible.. Would be cool if you could connect to a nearby house using wire + electrical skill, and maybe add a new extension cord item which doesn't require skill but only has a few tiles range. You could suggest it here

The wall lamp is inside, not outside. I think I will remove the lamp and place it a couple of tiles further in, on the wall and see if it still works. This could give some insight to the situation.

8 hours ago, fcolley3 said:

The wall lamp is inside, not outside. I think I will remove the lamp and place it a couple of tiles further in, on the wall and see if it still works. This could give some insight to the situation.

What I meant is that we know wall lamps on the outside of a house works. But the lamp doesn't get its power from the wall object, it gets power because the ground tile is coded as part of a building. Your lamp works because it's on/above a ground tile that belongs to the house, it just doesn't matter which wall it's mounted on.

I'm guessing your lamp will stop working if you move it further away from the house, and that if you put the washing machine where the sink is then it would have power too.

On 6/13/2020 at 3:42 AM, sprkng said:

What I meant is that we know wall lamps on the outside of a house works. But the lamp doesn't get its power from the wall object, it gets power because the ground tile is coded as part of a building. Your lamp works because it's on/above a ground tile that belongs to the house, it just doesn't matter which wall it's mounted on.

I'm guessing your lamp will stop working if you move it further away from the house, and that if you put the washing machine where the sink is then it would have power too.

Test completed. Moved wall lamp 3 tiles in, above the washing machine and it does not work. So, conclusion is, one tile in, of a player built room, items on that first tile will use the power from the house but, beyond one tile, it cannot access the electricity from the house, even though the electricity is still on. I'm still not sure if this is considered a bug by the Devs and they plan to address it or, if this situation is intended. I would like to know so I will know what to expect in the future and make my builds according. Thank you for everyone's feedback exploring this scenario with me.

PZ3.png

21 hours ago, fcolley3 said:

Test completed. Moved wall lamp 3 tiles in, above the washing machine and it does not work. So, conclusion is, one tile in, of a player built room, items on that first tile will use the power from the house but, beyond one tile, it cannot access the electricity from the house, even though the electricity is still on. I'm still not sure if this is considered a bug by the Devs and they plan to address it or, if this situation is intended. I would like to know so I will know what to expect in the future and make my builds according. Thank you for everyone's feedback exploring this scenario with me.

PZ3.png

On 6/8/2020 at 10:50 AM, Pandorea said:

Sigh..

Yes, this has been noted, reported and will get fixed at an appropriate time. 

Archived