Horses And Mules

Phesired

Having horses in the game would be nice because it's not OP because you have to feed it but then the advantage is obviously you travel on it. This has a up side and a down side. I know what the next question is, "how would you find one without making the game unrealistic?" Well, simple, just have built in farms on the map, just a few, and have animals in them like pigs and things and there, if you're lucky, they'll be horses. I wouldn't suggest having lots of grown crops on the farm or this would make the game a bit easy, and I understand you guys don't want that.

There's already been lots of discussions on animals, though I'm not really all that opposed to having more discussion on animals since I generally enjoy having those Pro versus Con type talks concerning the myriad number of animals that could be included.

Horses = awesome, there is a farm right at the top of the map, personally i never want to walk all the way up there but if there was a lone horse that's bin left behind *im guessing could still survive by feeding on the grass* is a realistic thing and its right out of the map so no hordes... = Walking dead awesomeness lone sheriff on a horse with a gun haha   <3

Horses = awesome, there is a farm right at the top of the map, personally i never want to walk all the way up there but if there was a lone horse that's bin left behind *im guessing could still survive by feeding on the grass* is a realistic thing and its right out of the map so no hordes... = Walking dead awesomeness lone sheriff on a horse with a gun haha   <3

My post was about how far-fetched horses or any ride able animals to be implemented in the game, not by the degree of awesomeness.

once vehicles have been included in the main game it think this may well be considered as a late-game alternative that doesn't rely on a finite amount of petrol (Gas to you yanks) that can be scavenged. but it could ruin things a bit getting one too early although it would still have its downsides

while quieter than a car its still much louder than you so wouldn't be practical to use scavenging from house to house as it would quickly get eaten

personally i would go for a bike in the zombie apocalypse quick, quiet, renewable and you can jump off and leg it up stairs :)

im sure the Devs will come up with a PZ method of traveling in style, if not a mod will :)

I agree that riding animals should be a mod. However, they have many advantages. While breaking into a gas station, an alarm goes off. Heading to your horse, you see that you are surrounded. Rather than try to ride it away, ditch the thing to the walkers and go out the other way. Plus, riding animals could hold one hell of a lot of loot. Great for moving to a new (zombie-free?) home..

I agree that riding animals should be a mod. However, they have many advantages. While breaking into a gas station, an alarm goes off. Heading to your horse, you see that you are surrounded. Rather than try to ride it away, ditch the thing to the walkers and go out the other way. Plus, riding animals could hold one hell of a lot of loot. Great for moving to a new (zombie-free?) home..

So could having a non gas operated bike with a basket while you have a backpack.

I rather they didn't get into a habbit of adding crap for the sake of adding it. Ridable animals provides a tougher means of getting transport, an ineffective means of transport, and a huge liability to feed your ride, and make sure zombies don't eat it.

I mean with a bike are they suppose to slash your tires or something?

Yeah, not too keen on the idea of including horses myself since a horse is a logistical nightmare in terms of being able to afford the upkeep. You gotta spend a pretty large portion of your day making sure that a horse is cared for and doing that by yourself in the middle of the freaking apocalypse is so counter productive it's laughable.

I like the idea of having a few small goats, a number of chickens, dogs and cats as animals you could keep since they're smaller and easier to care for. But a horse? No. Too difficult to be worth it when a bicycle would serve you just as well.

Yeap. Logistics of keeping the horse fed, watered, out of sight and QUIET during a zombie apocalypse would be a nightmare. Plus, have you read Max Brooks' Zombie Survival Guide? I like the idea that the mere scent of a zombie, let alone seeing one, drives a horse crazy. Whinnying, frothing at the mouth, panicking... The perfect thing for pulling zombies. Not the perfect thing to be riding on at the time.

• 3 weeks later...

Sure it's hard to keep a horse quiet and all that, but it sound just like the means of transportation for somebody having his/her safehouse at a farm, it would be faster than a bike and more item capacity but a bit louder, but slower than a car, less item capacity but wouldn't need fuel, renewable(plantable) fuel source.

Anything you can do with a horse, you can do with a bike, and one of those two options doesn't require anywhere near as much resources and attention to maintain. Large animals like horses and cows are not ideal to try and keep in a zombie apocalypse.