Project Zomboid has been, and continues to be my favourite game of all time. It started what feels like a decade ago when I admittedly torrented and early version which promptly lead to me purchasing the game and convincing my best friend to do the same. We spent a completely irrational amount of time playing, before any of the modern features were released and enjoyed setting up camp in the McCoy logging station where we created something called "camp McCoy" and created , by far, the greatest gaming memory I've ever had with my friend and some wonderful people in the community who i returned to a couple years later and discovered that they had miraculously kept it going for sometime and were eager to show me their doubly impressive base.

I miss these days, and with work and school being the new constant driving force of our lives, there is nothing we would like more than to relive some of these memories In a vastly improved environment. However, I do not have the time nor the extra finances to purchase an entirely new gaming system just to be able to play one game with my best friend, and was wondering if there has been any consideration to bring this to GeForce Now? I have purchased the game, as has my friend and the only computing machine I have is my notebook that can not run anything other than Microsoft edge.  

I feel like opening the game up to GeForce would not only be incredible because it already has controller support (m&k works with GeForce anyways) but it would allow so many people in the same boat as I am to have access to this incredible game. I really hope that this is a reality one day, I've been using GeForce lately for my casual gaming sessions but nothing will ever compare to the experience I had playing Project Zomboid.

Howdy there fellow apocalyptic survivor. I can sympathize with your situation as I had a friend who recently upgraded their computer. Have you heard of or looked into shadow cloud gaming? My buddy would use it when his potato laptop couldn't run a game. Which was quite often. It's a subscription service also. But from what I hear it basically does what Stadia is supposed to do. Use their high end hardware and stream it to your computer. But it actually works very well with little to no input lag. New to the forums and just trying to help. :)

I'm sorry if I'm a bit rude but the hardware needed to run ProjectZomboid at 1080p 30fps is not a big ask. I'm aware that buying a PC instead of having food on the table is out of the question. But I mean if subscribing to some kind of online hardware streaming service is feasible for you every month then buying a mid range laptop is simply better. I mean be grateful if you have the network speed to sustain cloud gaming dude. Or do you pay some ridiculous money for data? Then how is it feasible to cloud game?  I mean you are quite well of if your network cost/speed is that grate you know. I'm even now when I having extra super duper fiber with no data cap or speed cap, still run YouTube in 240-720p because I have respect for what network access cost for some ppl. 2 years ago I was a strict 144p pleb as I PAID for every GB of data. It was 144p or no food....  And last summer when I worked from a camper I also paid for data and was back to 144p.... 

I'm a grumpy extra salty attack helicopter. But I have to say that laptops today are one of the few things that have leaps and bounds improved over the years. Cheap, light, powerful, portable. Can not say my laptop was super cheap "Lenovo Legion Y540"  but dam considering what I got I'm so happy spending 12000kr (SWE)

1200 Euro ish, when it was on a discount. This is what I think is a high end laptop. As going further is expensive and there is just no point for a portable Swiss knife PC. That is not cheap but I use it for video rendering, 3d modeling, gaming, surfing everything really. So it is quite cheap compared to if I build a desktop. Windows 10 key, Gaming monitor, GPU, CPU, Motherboard, Gaming keyboard  (it adds up fast) 

Now how long can I use some gaming on the cloud for that money? Idk really. Going with "geforce shit" 4 Euro/month I'm going to need to stay with my Lenovo for 25years before upgrading 😋   But if I had to pay for every GB of data it is going to be quite fast before the laptop paid for itself.  And a laptop can do film editing, internet surfing, data storage old school games (name it)

You can do so much more and you need something to run this cloud gaming stuff on anyways. So your going to need a laptop or something however you look at it. I'm not sure what specs is needed to run ProjectZomboid. But it is not some AAA game like GTA5 or whatever. A laptop that can run Minecraft Java decently is going to run PZ. I mean that is not a gaming machine. That's just a modern laptop you know :)

I'm just trying to say that low to mid range laptop should run ProjectZomboid if some get away running the game on Intel HD 4000  😆  800 Euro vs being internet reliant?  Or worse have a expensive phone and cloud game on it? I'm just getting furious just to think people buy a expensive phone and use it for gaming as that is "cheap".  Phones are getting worse and worse for every year that passes. Almost to the point that I'm going to quit having phone number SIM card in mine. No one needs to call me. Literally no one should need 24/7 access to me but my family. And I rather use some network thing to speak with my family. Discord replaces expensive phone bill! HeeeeelYEA!  (only need mobile data to text family between WiFi spots = low data usage = cheap monthly cost)

I would support this, there’s some other early access games on it such as Last Oasis so the GFN people probably wouldn’t be opposed to it. 

If you actually look into GeForce Now the lowest tier is entirely free for an hour-long session, and can be repeated as many times as you want. Pairing that with a situation like being at a university or somewhere where decent WiFi is a accessible and it becomes much more economically appealing. Zomboid has become more demanding as of late, and if this is a viable option then I don’t think one should settle for playing 30fps when they can use this and get a much smoother gaming experience.

While we do have some reservations about streaming platforms in general (the death of modding, ownership of media you purchase concerns etc) GeForce Now leveraging already owned Steam games that you can still install and play natively, and the way they have gone about it we have no issue with and would definitely be open to considering it if approached.

No Stadia tho :D over my dead body etc. *

* Unless in future the market has already gone in such a direction to such an extent we have absolutely no choice if we want to make any money, in case that statement ever bites me in the ass

I hope people do understand that if they do play with Geforce NOW with PZ, they will never be able to have a long term save as saves are not in the cloud and everytime you launch GFN it launches on a random GFN hosted PC so you will never be able to reload the same save

4 hours ago, VunderFiz said:

I hope people do understand that if they do play with Geforce NOW with PZ, they will never be able to have a long term save as saves are not in the cloud and everytime you launch GFN it launches on a random GFN hosted PC so you will never be able to reload the same save

huh very good point there. 😕 something we'll look into but I doubt for 41.

12 hours ago, VunderFiz said:

I'm not sure I follow. I'm able to play other games that don't have cloud save functionality on GeForce Now and use saves just fine, such as Mount and Blade Warband. Why would this not be possible if the GFN people supported Project Zomboid?

4 hours ago, Neanderthal said:

I'm not sure I follow. I'm able to play other games that don't have cloud save functionality on GeForce Now and use saves just fine, such as Mount and Blade Warband. Why would this not be possible if the GFN people supported Project Zomboid?

Yeah, I've never used it, but I would have thought it being cloud based it could easily store your userdata somewhere attached to your account that it could pull from as needed, regardless of what system you get connected to. Seems like it would be service suicide to not allow savedata.

1 hour ago, BoogieMan said:

Yeah, I've never used it, but I would have thought it being cloud based it could easily store your userdata somewhere attached to your account that it could pull from as needed, regardless of what system you get connected to. Seems like it would be service suicide to not allow savedata.

It is not suicide. It sounds shitty but what is everyone expecting? The hole ide is bonkers. You might as well give up all rights to own games at this point :)  I'm sure with time game devs are going to have to implement cloud saving that works for cloud gaming.  Ha ha! The games are going to be talored to work for cloud gaming you will se!  And I'm 100% sure there will be cloud gaming exclusives. For greed or real good reasons. 

Only legit reason for cloud gaming would be to stop cheating in games like CS:GO. Or any multiplayer shooter. Still going to be possible to run aimbot from just screen data. But wall hacks and any kind of game tampering would be gone. Only exposed attack surface is the mouse and video stream.  :)  Or rigging matches or paying for a "cheat service" by the publisher of the game 🤑

Heck making this games would be easier as the game clients and server could possibly run without need for lag compensation.  Meaning that there could be games where 30 players split screen the game more or less. No lag compensation server wise. Only lag would be the players input. So fun to think E-sport games going from 1ms of hardware lag to variable 10-100ms in competitive depending on how far away your from the server. Ha ha ha ha!  LAN is still king! They are going to lose lag compensation to gain raw lag XD

2 hours ago, BoogieMan said:

From NVIDIA Support: "Yes, NVIDIA stores your saved games on the GeForce NOW servers using your NVIDIA Account and also syncs your saved games to your digital store account so that your progress and achievements will be synchronized with other gaming PCs."

Looking at this, I don't think VunderFiz's point is correct. What they DO say is you must have the cloud sync enabled on each game and digital stores for CLOUD saves to work.

53 minutes ago, Turbo50 said:

It is not suicide. It sounds shitty but what is everyone expecting? The hole ide is bonkers. You might as well give up all rights to own games at this point :)  I'm sure with time game devs are going to have to implement cloud saving that works for cloud gaming.  Ha ha! The games are going to be talored to work for cloud gaming you will se!  And I'm 100% sure there will be cloud gaming exclusives. For greed or real good reasons. 

Only legit reason for cloud gaming would be to stop cheating in games like CS:GO. Or any multiplayer shooter. Still going to be possible to run aimbot from just screen data. But wall hacks and any kind of game tampering would be gone. Only exposed attack surface is the mouse and video stream.  :)  Or rigging matches or paying for a "cheat service" by the publisher of the game 🤑

Heck making this games would be easier as the game clients and server could possibly run without need for lag compensation.  Meaning that there could be games where 30 players split screen the game more or less. No lag compensation server wise. Only lag would be the players input. So fun to think E-sport games going from 1ms of hardware lag to variable 10-100ms in competitive depending on how far away your from the server. Ha ha ha ha!  LAN is still king! They are going to lose lag compensation to gain raw lag XD

There is a valid reason for cloud gaming - in my case its being able to play games I normally wouldn't be able to, without having to pour money into a top tier rig. As far as greed is concerned, you can certainly make that criticism when it comes to something like Stadia, but GeForce Now really isn't your enemy in that regard. GeForce Now permits you ownership of all the games you already have on Steam on their service and its thought that for this reason companies like Bethesda and Rockstar are pulling their games from it and switching to Stadia, which is more lucrative but against the consumer.

Project zomboid doesn't have cloud based saving, it's file based meaning the saves are only on your PC's files

This is where your saves are kept. Geforce now cannot replicate the circled folders which means you can't load saves that you have on your normal PC or any presets you have. Back when PZ was a unofficial support for GFN you'd start the game and have to make a save each time you launched it. i've been using GFN for a long time so i know these thingsimage.png.1c50c0c7ed07cb3cafa2d33e4b4b7ed3.png

Project zomboid doesn't have cloud sync enabled so it doesn't matter

1 minute ago, VunderFiz said:

Project zomboid doesn't have cloud sync enabled so it doesn't matter

LIke I said before, there are games without cloud based saving, such as Mount and Blade Warband whose saving functionality is retained in GeForce Now.

For that period of unofficial support, that is what the name suggests, unofficial. I don't think that equates to it being untenable for the future.

If it's possible for the devs to make alterations to the save directory of the game such that GeForce Now can be supported for Zomboid, I would be in favour of it.

Wow this got more response than  I was expecting. A few responses to start, I have no intention of ever investing in hardware again. I'm currently not paying anything to be able to stream games I own through my potato of a laptop or my cellphone and to be honest I really have no interest of having to invest hundreds of dollars in new hardware every few years. It's easier for me, as with most people to pay a small monthly subscription (max is $5 a month) than a large lump sum payment out of their paycheck and the ability to switch screens without leaving sessions like stadia allows is such an important feature to me now. 

There are no install times , literally 0 so I can play Red dead or assassin's creed for example the second I purchase it.

There are cloud saves on geforce, everything I play keeps a save, I've never had to start over after restarting a game so I think it would be nice for indiestone to work on making PZ the same, but thats just my opinion though 

I understand a lot of you don't see the value in cloud gaming but I just wanted to share my set up with you. With stadia, I'm playing Red dead Redemption 2 at 1440p upscaled to 4k on 40mbps down internet speed and no input delay with my wifi controller. In the middle of an online session, i can open it on my phone and switch from the TV and still be in the same session.  GeForce isnt as polished but has every game I want that stadia doesn't.

I work a full-time job, I don't spend that much time gaming anymore so why would it make sense for me to drop hundreds of dollars every few years? All that matters is that I can load up a game as quickly and as easily as possible and cloud gaming to date is the best solution for this.

My favourite game of all time is this small Indie game and as much as I love it, I'm not about to drop that significant of an investment for 1 game. Figured I'd post in the community , see if anyone else felt the same way and if it were even possible.  I hope that one day it could be a reality but if not, it's no big deal, I've had a blast playing this game with the community and will always look back on it fondly but thank you everyone for the feedback and I hope to one day be reunited with you all! 

If anyone has any questions about cloud gaming , here are some quick details to clear things up.

-stadia works like a console, closed ecosystem that you need to purchase the titles on, but with that comes a consistently smooth and polished experience (for me atleast, should use ethernet or make sure you're getting full signal) games are between 1080p to 40k up to 60fps currently , all of this is up to the developers regarding what version of their game they decide to put on stadia. No video settings to edit in any game. Seamless screen switching

-geforce is a bit rough around the edges, 1080p 60fps, up to 120fps with lower resolution. Full access to video settings in games.typically just loads up steam big picture, epic or Uplay when you launch a title you own. More bugs, I  sometimes run into issue where I need to restart the app to get audio. Not so seamless screen switching. Online games are in PC lobbies , never felt like I was at a disadvantage in games like apex Legends because I was using the cloud.

Xcloud froze for me every 5 minutes for like 30 seconds (making online games unplayable) but all the titles were free and was real simple to load up. App no longer works for me however.

Haven't tried shadow, it looks really appealing but the price is a bit over my budget for monthly subscriptions, (not paying for stadia or GeForce currently although I might pay the $5 a month for pro eventually) and I don't have very many computing needs other than maybe Microsoft office which I can use on my craptop.

Thanks again for your time everyone, hope you all are doing okay during these times and as I mentioned previously I hope to someday reunite with you all in the virtual apocalypse!

Archived