Accurate calorie counts for vegetables

Sanctus

The vegetables the you farm are basically useless because even if you eat constantly you can't maintain weight.  The issue I believe is that the calories counts of all these foods are vastly underestimated.

A potato in game has 70 calories, in real life they have around 160.  Why do grape leaves and potatoes have the same calories?

Cabbage in game has 178 calories, in real life they have around 240.

Radishes in game have 1 calorie?! In real life they have around 15.

Lettuce surprisingly is accurate.

Make it easier to maintain weight from your garden please! 

It looks like the non-perishable foods/stuff you find in shops have way too many calories as compared to real life.  A slice of apple pie has 67 calories, but a slice of pie in game has over 400!

It's probably another kind of pie but that is pretty high for a single slice.

Edited by Sanctus

I feel as though you’re failing to take into account size variation in real life.  In the case of Apple pie, different recipes. For example, that’s not a radish that has 15 cal, that’s 100 grams of radish, or between 10 and 30 radishes. Another example: 100g of potato is around 70 cal and 100g of grape leaves is 90 ....

With veggies, you simply have to eat more.

That'd be alright but the food doesn't vary in size or weight in game.  Every potato is a carbon copy of every other potato, which is fine because it's a game, I just assume each potato is a completely average potato. I looked up the calorie count of the average single potato because that's what the game tells me I have.  It doesn't really make sense for the game to track calories per 100 grams while telling my I have a single potato of size 0.2.  However 100 grams of potatoes has even more calories than a single potato does.

Potatoes are at around 200 calories for 100 grams.  About half as much as an equal amount of sugar.  Grape leaves are a little less than 1 calorie per gram so your number is pretty accurate there for 100g.

I'm not getting hung up on grape leaves or potatoes but they do explain my point fairly well.  In the game I'm better off eating -4 hunger grape leaves than -18 hunger potatoes, even though the potatoes should provide much more energy per unit of food.  And that is what any player would assume as well.

Here is where I found potato energy density if anyone cares:

https://bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/what-is-energy-density (interestingly, fat has nearly ten times as many calories as potatoes)

I'd actually like it if they increased the calorie count of potatoes and other veg to be more accurate while increasing the grow times to be a bit more realistic.  That way it wouldn't be unbalanced but you could still sort of maintain weight with that kind of diet.

Edited by Sanctus

On 5/21/2020 at 8:58 PM, Sanctus said:

Potatoes are at around 200 calories for 100 grams. 

I'm pretty sure that article was talking about baked potatoes when they said that.

Raw potatoes are around 70kcal/100g

And if you search that database and find cooked potatoes that has magically gotten a significantly higher energy density (i.e. more calories per 100g) it's probably because they think "boiled potatoes" has butter in it.

For reference a 25 year old male who's 180cm tall and weighs 75kg needs 2700kcal/day to maintain weight if they exercise daily (which I think is an appropriate exercise level for a PZ character who runs around, fights zombies and chops lumber regularly). He would need to eat 3.9 kg potatoes every day to get that energy. That's a lot of potatoes.

The USDA database has a slice of apple pie as 363kcal, but this does of course depend on the size of the slice and exact ingredients. Your number of 67kcal for a slice is extremely low, I think you need to check your sources.

It would be nice if non-packaged food (fruits and veggies mostly) would have random properties and the farmed one would depend on how much care did you take for them. Maybe it'll be there after farming updte somewhere down the line?

6 hours ago, Faalagorn said:

It would be nice if non-packaged food (fruits and veggies mostly) would have random properties and the farmed one would depend on how much care did you take for them. Maybe it'll be there after farming updte somewhere down the line?

Don’t see why not. It’d be a fun mechanic.

On 5/23/2020 at 10:31 AM, sprkng said:

I'm pretty sure that article was talking about baked potatoes when they said that.

Raw potatoes are around 70kcal/100g

And if you search that database and find cooked potatoes that has magically gotten a significantly higher energy density (i.e. more calories per 100g) it's probably because they think "boiled potatoes" has butter in it.

For reference a 25 year old male who's 180cm tall and weighs 75kg needs 2700kcal/day to maintain weight if they exercise daily (which I think is an appropriate exercise level for a PZ character who runs around, fights zombies and chops lumber regularly). He would need to eat 3.9 kg potatoes every day to get that energy. That's a lot of potatoes.

The USDA database has a slice of apple pie as 363kcal, but this does of course depend on the size of the slice and exact ingredients. Your number of 67kcal for a slice is extremely low, I think you need to check your sources.

FIrst off, sorry for the mini-necro, I've been on vacation.

I was indeed wrong about the apple pie, I had the wrong quantity of pie.  When I look at an actual slice it is indeed closer to the number you gave here.  I thought it was low too but I was too focused on my point to confirm that, my bad.

You also make a good point about the raw vs. baked potato so I checked the USDA calorie count for potatoes. Here is some data from a much more reliable source:

https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/170026/nutrients

one hundred grams of potato is about 70 calories and one medium sized potato is about 160.

This is indeed about 40 calories lower than the numbers on the other website so I think I agree with your assertion about the butter.

If the vegetables are meant to be 100 grams in game it would be nice if some vegetables had their hunger rates changed, -18 seems a bit high for half a potato.

The other option would be to keep the hunger the same but treat a potato item (or any vegetable) as a single item of that type with the calories of that item.  For example a potato in game would have the calories of a medium sized potato.

I would like the random variations as well, maybe three kinds of each veg (small, med, large) and the higher your skill the better chance of the good ones?

Edited by Sanctus