This game is a copy of CDDA, Might as well steal some shit from it.

Slingring

Neat you have a almost carbon copy of CDDA.
now its time to actually add elements for fun.
-mutagens
-underground labs
-focus (affects reading speed etc)
-stimulants/downers
-autodocs

-bionics

-vehicle system from cdda (so you can make deathmobiles with methlabs)
If you dont play CDDA your offically playing the almost carbon copy of it here.
edit; forgot that tools can have qualities. that would be real neat so i can use a crowbar or anything heavy to hammer nails in. EX hammer has 2 hammering 1 prying

Edited by Slingring

"You have almost a carbon copy of CDDA"

Sorry, but some of us prefer the more grounded elements of the apocalypse and don't want a game with that extra futuristic stuff going on. Clearly you are fond of CDDA, which has pretty distinct differences aesthetic and gameplaywise. Why would we want it to become more like something that already exists? 

Have a good day, #6865.

Edited by Kim Jong Un

1 minute ago, Kim Jong Un said:

"You have almost a carbon copy of CDDA"

Sorry, but some of us prefer the more grounded elements of the apocalypse and don't want a game with that extra futuristic stuff going on. Clearly you are fond of CDDA, which has pretty distinct differences aesthetic and gameplaywise. Why would we, at any point, want to make it into CDDA?

Have a good day, #6865.

futuristic stuff is added in by a content mod. core game isnt that futuristic

43 minutes ago, Slingring said:

futuristic stuff is added in by a content mod. core game isnt that futuristic

Which you can enjoy fully on C:DDA.

My point was, none of this stuff should be seen as a way to catch up to C:DDA, rather a completely different design direction. This would be better suited as a mod since freaks and bionic geeks isn't exactly what is being emulated here. Despite what previous conversations on the C:DDA discord have covered, it just isn't the direction this particular game is trying to go in. If it's what you enjoy, all the power to you! I just don't think this is the right bowl of cereal for the orange juice.

Edited by Kim Jong Un

From Lemmy on Reddit:

To set the record straight too: We're big fans and have a lot of respect for CDDA however we had no idea of its existence when we started making this game, Dwarf Fortress being the only real RogueLike of its type we were familiar with, and were later introduced to it many years later by Sir Twiggy. There's a challenge inspired by it though added after this point, and I'm sure some features have inspired us during development but 'centered and based off' just isn't really the case, there's a lot of overlap between the concepts too so many survival mechanics would naturally apply to both games independently,

I doubt either has been inspired by either as much as people would assume tho I'm sure some stuff has bubbled through especially through community requests and suggestions. The Sims, X-Com and other zombie fiction are really our only direct influences on designing and starting work on this game and at the time, being prior to any survival game we were aware of outside Minecraft that I can recall, from our perspective what we were doing felt wholey original despite the zombie theme. If we were inspired directly by a game such as this I'd totally fess up, there's no shame in it, but it's not the case.

EDIT: Ah apparently CDDA was released 2 years after ours, I didn't actually know this but I guess it goes to prove the point made above :D

43 minutes ago, Slingring said:

Neat you have a almost carbon copy of CDDA.
now its time to actually add elements for fun.
-mutagens
-underground labs
-focus (affects reading speed etc)
-stimulants/downers
-autodocs

-bionics

-vehicle system from cdda (so you can make deathmobiles with methlabs)
If you dont play CDDA your offically playing the almost carbon copy of it here.
edit; forgot that tools can have qualities. that would be real neat so i can use a crowbar or anything heavy to hammer nails in. EX hammer has 2 hammering 1 prying

PZ isn't interested in being a sci-fi future game, so no to mot of that. Likewise "no" to the idea that a game that pre-existed CDDA is a clone of it just because it shares elements of the survival genre ...

I quite like CDDA, but you're acting like an ass.

6 minutes ago, Slingring said:

nice. mod didnt realize that dicksword = discord
3 points now for a misunderstanding.
funy
ill accept it though. let mods be mods

Ah, yes. The "It's just a joke, bro" defence. So nuanced and wise.  You tell so many funny jokes that end in your ban, friend. Maybe it's time to learn some new material?

Sorry, but that's rubbish. CDDA is the most detailed zombie roguelike out there, so every other game could be called a rip-off at this point. Except that they aren't. Zombie tropes are a thing for a reason. If you now call every trope CDDAs intellectual property, I dunno what to tell you bro.

The games play totally different. Zomboid is about Romero-style zombies, realism and difficulty of survival long-term. CDDA is about a crazy apocalypse melting pot of fungoid spores, evil blobs, demonic entities, mutations, bionics, martial arts, deathmobiles, magical artifacts and laser rifles. Spot a pattern?

Yes, the core game is futuristic. Because it takes place in the future. You have about a dozen futuristic handguns, laser, plasma, rail guns, tank drones, powered body armor, powered stealth armor, CBMs etc.

Edited by Zork

Honestly, OP seems just to be a troll accusing the devs of "copying" a completely different game..

The only place where that is even remotely true is the one place in PZ where they admit they did it.... in the scenario called "A Really CDDA Day" where... they did actually copy a CDDA starting scenario as a tribute to that game... 

That's literately the only thing the developers straight up copied...

Edited by EnvyDemon

If you think this game is a copy of C:DDA, then you don't really know what you're talking about.

Also none of what you said is able to be put into a ~1995 setting. Underground areas such as basements or bunkers would be good, but they would be small since most people don't actually build large bunkers. It would be a good long-term goal to make one though.

The game *does* take a lot of inspiration from CDDA, it's a good game! However, the sci-fi elements definitely won't fit in with the intended theme for PZ, and it's setting. A really cool single-player experience and story is planned.

More than welcome to make a mod to add in some more CDDA elements!

• Kirrus locked this topic