A Change in Helmet Behavior

Bossdrive

Introduced in the recent update:

"Helmet attacks change: before zombie attacks could potentially make helmets fall and also you get a hit. Now if the helmet falls, the current attack won’t connect but the next one will."

I'm surprised this change is not getting any push back as it is PRECISELY the idea I proposed in my previous thread in which everyone  adamantly opposed.

Now they just have to translate something similar this helmet protection mechanic to clothing.

This was only a problem with helmets that give 100% protection since attacks that knocked the helmet off your head kind of bypassed the protection. So now that it's fixed your head is completely safe in a 100% prot helmet, until it's knocked off.

This doesn't mean that every head gear gives full protection, you can still be scratched through most of them. At least that's how I understand it...

Clothes already work this way, they provide X amount of protection until a hole is ripped into them, but I doubt we'll see clothes that fully protect you like some of the helmets.

On 5/17/2020 at 9:59 AM, crossed said:

This was only a problem with helmets that give 100% protection since attacks that knocked the helmet off your head kind of bypassed the protection. So now that it's fixed your head is completely safe in a 100% prot helmet, until it's knocked off.

This doesn't mean that every head gear gives full protection, you can still be scratched through most of them. At least that's how I understand it...

Clothes already work this way, they provide X amount of protection until a hole is ripped into them, but I doubt we'll see clothes that fully protect you like some of the helmets.

Helmets worked exactly as intended. They provided 100% protection that could NOT be bypassed. Zombies, however, have an X% chance to knock off the helmet which resulted in a hit. 

The zombie scores a hit the moment it succeeds in its percentage roll. This mechanic is the same for both helmet and clothing.

With the recent update, the helmet  mechanic changed. Even if the zombie succeeds in its percentage roll, it won't hit. "But the next one will".

If the helmet required this fix, then I don't see why clothing should be excluded from the fix.

46 minutes ago, Bossdrive said:

Helmets worked exactly as intended. They provided 100% protection that could NOT be bypassed. Zombies, however, have an X% chance to knock off the helmet which resulted in a hit. 

The zombie scores a hit the moment it succeeds in its percentage roll. This mechanic is the same for both helmet and clothing.

With the recent update, the helmet  mechanic changed. Even if the zombie succeeds in its percentage roll, it won't hit. "But the next one will".

If the helmet required this fix, then I don't see why clothing should be excluded from the fix.

The problem wasn't neccessarily that the helmet itself didn't function properly; the problem was that the "helmet-getting-knocked-off-your-head" mechanic didn't function properly.  You were never supposed to get bitten in the same attack that knocks your helmet off, since that would be two separate bites.  A bite thats hard enough to rip through your shirt, however, is almost definitely gonna take a chunk of flesh as well.  

8 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

People are also forgetting that multiple hits can happen in one attack — two hands and a mouth provide ample risk. 

Ah, I didn't know that, actually.  In my limited experience I've only ever recieved a single wound from each individual attack animation.  Can you confirm the ability to inflict multiple wounds from one animation as a legit mechanic, Enigma?  

9 hours ago, Mumbler said:

Ah, I didn't know that, actually.  In my limited experience I've only ever recieved a single wound from each individual attack animation.  Can you confirm the ability to inflict multiple wounds from one animation as a legit mechanic, Enigma?  

I'm going to have to double check, as after writing that I had my own share of doubts.

Edit: Yep, I think I'm wrong, after trying to reproduce in debug. It's that sometimes you push away after getting bit, turn, then get back-bit. It can happen fairly quickly.

1 hour ago, EnigmaGrey said:

I'm going to have to double check, as after writing that I had my own share of doubts.

Edit: Yep, I think I'm wrong, after trying to reproduce in debug. It's that sometimes you push away after getting bit, turn, then get back-bit. It can happen fairly quickly.

Gotcha; I had figured each individual attack animation would only roll once per event , but I tend to take you at your word. Thanks for clarifying!

11 hours ago, Mumbler said:

The problem wasn't neccessarily that the helmet itself didn't function properly; the problem was that the "helmet-getting-knocked-off-your-head" mechanic didn't function properly.  You were never supposed to get bitten in the same attack that knocks your helmet off, since that would be two separate bites.  A bite thats hard enough to rip through your shirt, however, is almost definitely gonna take a chunk of flesh as well.  

I'm specifically referring to the mechanics: When a zombie attack succeeds its probability check, it scores a hit.

You're appealing to physics: When a zombie knocks of your helmet, your head becomes exposed to NEXT hit. 

I agree with this!

But the same reasoning can apply to clothing that provides protection.

The helmet and clothing provide x% protection. A zombie hit only succeeds in compromising the protection. The next hit scores a wound.

For example, a denim shirt provides x% protection to upper body parts. A successful zombie hit compromises (damages) the clothing protection on a specific body part leaving it exposed to the next attack.

Archived