Odd Fps Drops

broomish

I just came back to Zomboid to try out the new update and I'm experiencing some odd behaviour. I'm on the beta build btw. When I start a new game my fps is locked at 60. I can move around, zoom in and out and look around and the fps will stay locked at 60. Then when I do something such as closing a curtain or even pressing the escape key to open the menu, my fps plummets into the low 20s and if I start looking around or zooming it drops to a stutter. Neither reloading the save nor restarting the game seems to fix this. I have tried this both vanilla and modded so it's not the mod's I had initially loaded up with. Just wondering if anyone has experienced the same or if this is a known issue that I can do something to fix. 

Sure but I don't think my computers specs are the issue here. Just pressing escape and the options coming up causing the fps to drop into the 20s and stay there after closing the menu isn't normal behaviour. 

Quadro P5000

Xeon E5-2678 2.5Ghz 8core

12GB Ram

I think it is hardware related but not in the usual way. This is relatively obscure hardware for gaming so perhaps it's something to do with that and while that CPU is not the best choice for games it's not absolutely terrible and the frame rate jumping from locked at 60 to low 20s and back again with no discernible cause is odd behaviour. 

On further inspection: GPU usage is never going above 20% but it is definitely being used by the game as it drops back to near 0 when closing the game and CPU usage is not going above 50% total whilst in game though it seemingly can take advantage of more of the cpu as it can go upto 80% when the game is loading up or loading into a save. No idea what the issue is here.

The only graphical options that seem to make any difference is lowering the resolution. Lowering to 1600x900 gave a minor fps boost but this has just confused me further. This providing an fps boost suggests the graphics card is the source of my low fps, unless zomboid is using CPU to render, but my graphics card is barely being used let alone being taxed. 

My only idea would be to make sure that the game uses the right GPU, not the integrated GPU (if you have one), but you said it does. Also make sure your GPU driver is up to date just to be sure... 🤷‍♂️

Yeah but I've tried it without too. I've fiddled with all the graphical settings and the only things that makes a difference is lowering the resolution but that doesn't really stop the seemingly random FPS drops, just diminishes the severity. 

Try turning the GUI FPS to a Lower value. The gui will appear to lag but it means it interrupts rendering for the full game less. 

this doesn’t explain FPS drop when opening a window, however. Possible issue with the gpu and shaders. Workstation gpus tend to be extremely sensitive to any unexpected behaviour that a normal gpu can deal with, as they’re to built to very specific spec (As I understand it). It makes them unsuitable for gaming despite the price. 

Archived