Is it possible to fine tune zombie spawning?

Jangles

For example I want to set the speed to include all (random) but I don't necessarily want it to be random. I'd like to make sprinters rare with the majority being a mix of shamblers and fast shamblers.

This got me to thinking in general it'd be nice to be able to just set a frequency for all the different zombie types. That way "proper zombies" could be your majority and you could set a % chance for various outliers to occur (strong, good hearing, sprinters, etc.). I considered adding this to suggestions but thought maybe there was a config somewhere that had these variables and was adjustable so I figured I'd ask first

BOOM!

Customizable Zombies Mod: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1992785456

This mod is exactly what you want. You can change what % of zombies are crawlers, shamblers, fast shamblers, and sprints in the options menu. one time i was fast walking with a very heavy load pass a group of shambling zombies, when one of them starts SPRINTING AT ME! I started screaming! I started to sprint to get away from him and get about 2 blocks when ANOTHER ONE starts sprinting at me. I ran out of breath and they both dragged me down.  Makes you think twice before walking pass a group of zombies.

Would super recommend this mod.

Here is what it does by default you you can change the %.

2% chance to spawn in a Fake Dead state,

5% chance to become Crawler,

47% chance to become Shambler,

47% chance to become Fast Shambler,

1% chance to become Runner.

18 hours ago, leon2356 said:

BOOM!

Customizable Zombies Mod: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1992785456

This mod is exactly what you want. You can change what % of zombies are crawlers, shamblers, fast shamblers, and sprints in the options menu. one time i was fast walking with a very heavy load pass a group of shambling zombies, when one of them starts SPRINTING AT ME! I started screaming! I started to sprint to get away from him and get about 2 blocks when ANOTHER ONE starts sprinting at me. I ran out of breath and they both dragged me down.  Makes you think twice before walking pass a group of zombies.

Would super recommend this mod.

Here is what it does by default you you can change the %.

2% chance to spawn in a Fake Dead state,

5% chance to become Crawler,

47% chance to become Shambler,

47% chance to become Fast Shambler,

1% chance to become Runner.

Now all we need is a mod update that can be used to change Zombie Strength/Toughness percentages. Imagine clearing a horde through kiting, timing swings with your trusty machete, and suddenly the last zombie almost refuses to stay down. He gets up multiple times, and you run away and slam a door in his face but he breaks through almost instantly, finally you have to unload a shotgun before sufficiently pulpifying his brain tissue enough for him to stay down.

Also Zombie Intelligence/Sensitivity  variables. Imagine casually strolling past a horde that's milling about and one zombie from the horde spots you and gives chase, shambling slowly after you. You think "well alright, I can move faster than him," so you ignore him as you walk to your safe house, close the door, head upstairs and go to bed. An in game hour goes by and suddenly your character wakes up to find that same god damned zombie eating them and had not only followed you for the entire trek, what with having a good memory and senses, but also knew how to use doors.

Started using that mod, thanks, I like it a lot, it definitely gets me closer to what I really want. Now if only I could make custom zombies (using in game parameters). I'd love to make all of my sprinters weak so they can get to you fast but are easier to take down, fast shamblers being stronger, and shamblers being the strongest. Using this mod and then having the toughness and strength set to random for zombies you sometimes end up with godly sprinters that are just a little too much, a tad too unbalanced for me. Oh and if possible I'd make crawlers have like an iron grip but not necessarily good at scratching or biting, so should they get ahold of you you're basically held in place until you give em a good whack.

As it is now truly random suffers from a lack of identifiers that lets you know what you're up against so you can decide to run or fight. This sort of chaotic RNG may appeal to some but for me assessing a situation, using context clues, and making a decision based on them is a more fun game experience. If I could make the different zombie types I mentioned I could see how they are moving and immediately be able to assess what I'm up against and react accordingly. That's just personally how I'd use customizable zombie types and spawn chances.

It would also offer other creative fun ways to play depending on your tastes. What quickly comes to mind is being able to make a game mode where something like 99.9% of zombies are "proper" with a .1% chance of spawning an ultra zombie (Crazy high strength and toughness, higher than currently allowed) that will attack all things, not just doors and windows. Think the Tyrant from RE3. You're in base, suddenly your wall crashes down and in enters the boss zombie. It would completely change up the way you would have to plan out your bases, where you'd feel safe, and in general how you'd play the game.

At any rate, I'm sure over time a lot of this stuff will indeed get implemented one way or another by devs or modders. And most importantly I love the game with or without it. I've been playing it off and on since NPCs were actually a thing in game.

The mods combined with the constant updates makes this game hands down the best  zombie survival on the market.

I don't care what anyone says, this game is lovingly crafted, and gives you all the options to tailor your experience to whatever you want. 

Archived