Zombie distribution question

Anchorshag

Hey guys i've been playing Zomboid on and off for a long time, mostly with a group, and haven't touched the IWBUMS build until recently.

While I really like it, the only thing that's really irking me is it seems that, no matter where I go, there are just uniformally spread groups of 1-3 zombies across the entire map. Even in forests and fields miles from towns. It makes travelling anywhere a total pain in the ass constantly having to weave between groups of zombies. I get that towns should be dangerous but why are random forests and empty fields littered with as many enemies? They don't seem to thin out like they did in the stable branch.

This is with default apocalypse and suvivor starts, which i'm sure have urban focus zombie spreading by default?

Just wondered if i'd missed some setting or if it's meant to be this way. Thanks.

Maybe I'm imagining things as well, but distribution does seem to have altered mildly since 41 dropped.  It seems like there aren't quite as many Zs in the towns (as they are more dangerous now that might be a good thing), but I see clusters here and there in nowhereland, with trickles of Zs roaming the length of most motorways.  It's almost like the populations from towns spread out further, perhaps to make survival overall more difficult for us. I like it.

6 minutes ago, Anchorshag said:

Just seems to me like no matter how far I go there is always a consistant number of zombies around me. Makes any sort of temporary safe spot to heal or eat non existant, from what i'm experiencing?

I haven't noticed it to this extent.  From what I've seen the towns are still home to the bulk of the infected population, but there does seem to be scattered groups further into the wilderness than the before-time.

Hmm, then i'm at a loss. I drove out of Muldraugh down the road for ages and the zombies were thick all the way along. Every 5-10 metres was another group, all spaced out. I'd even go as far to say as there seemed to be more of them outside the towns than inside.

Is there some setting I can mess with to adjust this? It's impossible to find any sort of safe area to make a base as it stands.

One thing I have seen, at least for me. Is that it feels like there are 3 "Zones" you got urben, rural, then you got a 3rd zone I call, the "boonies". Urban is stuff like west point, muldraugh, riverside, etc. Rural is stuff like highways, farms, or those warehouses and logging camps towards the center of the map. Boonies is stuff like the lake and cabins to the east of muldraugh, the log cabins around the map, and deep forest. On default, urban will have hordes of zombies, rural will have like 1-3 zombies scattered around. Boonies will have maybe 1 zombie if you look hard enough.

One thing you can use to test zombie placements is to get a mini-map mod. That way you can see where zombies are and get a more accurate look. I use it all the time and i can see a huge difference in town vs highways vs farms vs deep forest.

Mini-map mod: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1619603097&searchtext=minimap

Works on build 41+

Yeah, i made a topic about this a few months back, Overall, since 41 dropped the zombies out of town have been Insane.      
Like, this is supposed to be rural farm towns in kentucky but yet there seems to be hundreds of thousands of zombies in the county, it seems a bit overblown considering the setting.      

Worst part's probs when you wanna drive on the highways but there are constantly swarms you have to weave through every 10 seconds.         

I feel as if it's kind of made the urban focused setting too broad, making the uniform setting kind of functionally useless.

Archived