Sanctus

What is your best survival time in build 41?

The character I'm currently on has beaten my previous record even for pre build 41 and I was wondering how I am actually doing compared to the average survival time.

Currently at 2 months and one week

Apocalypse difficulty

Mods: Armored vests, crossbow, Def's Long Term Survival, Lock-picking. Just. Lock-picking, Sawn offs, silencer, spears: Twine and Leather binding, Chipped stone spearheads

I started in west point and booked it out to the three houses by the lake to the northwest pretty early on.  I've made my base there and am trying to prepare for winter as I've never made it that far and I'm not sure what to expect.

I've attached a photo of my base as it stood a week or two ago.

Let me see your bases and tell me how long you've lived!

20200503211548_1.jpg

My best in 41 is still a wimpy twenty-one days; I always seem to get too comfy and end up with a bite two or three weeks in.  I've got a pretty solid start currently, though.  Fingers crossed I dont muck it up again!

Posted (edited)

Oh my ! Bringing back the memories of build 1.5d where the food was fixed. People discovered that you would eat less when sleeping: one guy would hit records of more than 2 years by collecting all of the food and sleeping pills and just wasting away in the "skyscraper" ... on the other hand I can rarely survive more than a couple of months.

Edited by numbersixthecat

On 5/5/2020 at 3:01 PM, Mumbler said:

My best in 41 is still a wimpy twenty-one days; I always seem to get too comfy and end up with a bite two or three weeks in.  I've got a pretty solid start currently, though.  Fingers crossed I dont muck it up again!

For those keeping track at home (which is no one, I know) I did indeed muck it up mere minutes after posting that.  You guys surviving months and years must know a few tricks my old ass hasn't learned yet!

Posted (edited)

I just reached three months which is absolutely a first for me.

It turns out that the best way to survive for three months in apocalypse difficulty is to be absolutely terrified of zombies.  I refuse to go into the dense towns and have been scouring the farmland for the stuff I need.  

Although I did eventually work up enough courage to empty the gigamart.  That was tense.

Gas runs are probably how I'll end up dying, the stations are always packed and I need to run a noisy generator to get fuel from the pumps.

Edited by loudboomaker

8 hours ago, numbersixthecat said:

Oh my ! Bringing back the memories of build 1.5d where the food was fixed. People discovered that you would eat less when sleeping: one guy would hit records of more than 2 years by collecting all of the food and sleeping pills and just wasting away in the "skyscraper" ... on the other hand I can rarely survive more than a couple of months.

The old hibernation strategy!

Posted (edited)
On 5/12/2020 at 12:31 AM, loudboomaker said:

I just reached three months which is absolutely a first for me.

It turns out that the best way to survive for three months in apocalypse difficulty is to be absolutely terrified of zombies.  I refuse to go into the dense towns and have been scouring the farmland for the stuff I need.  

Although I did eventually work up enough courage to empty the gigamart.  That was tense.

Gas runs are probably how I'll end up dying, the stations are always packed and I need to run a noisy generator to get fuel from the pumps.

I discovered a trick to get more out of gas runs. It's probably common knowledge, though, since it's quite easy to stumble into it.

1. In your main inventory, have as many fuel cans as you can possibly hold

2. Fill them all up at the pump. Don't set any of them down.

3. Your character will always be able to fill up an empty canister even after you've far exceeded your normal weight capacity.

4. Hop into your car and drive back to base.

This lets you carry as much fuel as you have empty canisters regardless of how much cargo space you actually have in your trunk.

I don't do it anymore because it feels like cheating, but it's a good trick.

Edited by ohgodspidersno

1 hour ago, Geras said:

About 2 months with Apocalypse with sprinters.

Ha! I'm lucky to last two hours with sprinters...man, I suck at PZ. 😂

10 hours ago, ZombiesLoveBrainiacs said:

What the heck? How do you do that?

It's definitely not easy. Most of my characters die before I manage to secure a working car (I play with instant water and power shut-off, December start, and 6 months world advance, so most cars have dead batteries).

Securing a working car or repairing one (usually gas + battery + key) is my number 1 priority after looting immediate surroundings.

Once you have a car you can carefully drive over smaller groups or lure them away from important buildings (libraries - mostly for hunting magazine with bird traps recipe, petrol stations, hardware stores, groceries), and go to the countryside (preferably with lake/river and woods nearby) and work from there.

Fighting 2 sprinters at once is okay - you push one down, step on it, and fight the other one. 3 at once is risky, as you need to push 2 down. You can also run away and wait for them to trip and then hit the closest one once or twice, run away and repeat. If more zombies chase you get to your car and drive away, or enter a building, close the door behind you, and leave through other door/window.

If there's a group of them, I approach slowly from an angle where only 1 or 2 of them face me, so they see me and separate from the group. I then move away a bit, so more of them don't spot me if they turn around, and kill the ones that run towards me.

Most of my deaths are caused by bites from behind when I try to turn around and run.

Well that's my all time record!

Kind of wish I'd backed up the save but I don't know if I'd consider it fair then.

Really fun to make it to that point, the map looks so cool when erosion is maxed out.

20200518113426_1.jpg

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, burbigo1 said:

I don't have any big record yet, since I just began playing it !

How long have you made it so far?

2 hours ago, Fontenele said:

Just died :-(

Two months and three days.

Let's go again.

My condolences! I lost a couple-week-old character earlier today. I'm still trying to work up the gumption to get through those first few pre-backpack days.  Sometimes I gotta switch to a different game for a few hours or I find myself not caring about the new toon.  Nothing a little P.A. can't solve!

Edited by Mumbler

9 hours ago, Mumbler said:

How long have you made it so far?

My condolences! I lost a couple-week-old character earlier today. I'm still trying to work up the gumption to get through those first few pre-backpack days.  Sometimes I gotta switch to a different game for a few hours or I find myself not caring about the new toon.  Nothing a little P.A. can't solve!

Thank you.