"Offline Update Possible?"

Mumbler

Question

I find myself in an odd predicament.  I'm currently living somewhere with limited WiFi and no internet available for my PC.  I managed to hook up to a friends internet to update to 41.34, but that option is no longer available to me.

My question is this: is there any way for me to download an .exe or some such to update from .34 to .35, having transferred said update from my phone to PC via USB?

I'm not holding out any hope, but as PZ is my favorite game of all time, and my mental saviour during this quarantine,  I thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

5 answers to this question

25 minutes ago, Mumbler said:

I find myself in an odd predicament.  I'm currently living somewhere with limited WiFi and no internet available for my PC.  I managed to hook up to a friends internet to update to 41.34, but that option is no longer available to me.

My question is this: is there any way for me to download an .exe or some such to update from .34 to .35, having transferred said update from my phone to PC via USB?

I'm not holding out any hope, but as PZ is my favorite game of all time, and my mental saviour during this quarantine,  I thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

I don't know of any way to download games off Steam onto a phone, as I haven't seen SteamCMD running on Android/iOS.
Someone who has PZ could download .35 for you and you'd simply be able to copypaste the whole install folder to your phones storage (or any sort of external storage) and then get it off your phone.

17 minutes ago, nasKo said:

I don't know of any way to download games off Steam onto a phone, as I haven't seen SteamCMD running on Android/iOS.
Someone who has PZ could download .35 for you and you'd simply be able to copypaste the whole install folder to your phones storage (or any sort of external storage) and then get it off your phone.

In spite of insisting to my friends wholeheartedly that they don'tknow what they're missing, I'm actually the only person I know that plays PZ.  

What are the odds that copy/pasting the .35 files could corrupt my install (as I have no way of verifying integrity, reinstalling,  etc.)

P.s., thanks for the speedy reply, Nasko.  Oh, and for calling me a "sexy beast" on YouTube some years ago (I'm Evilwuun, I'd transcribed What Was Lost to Classical guitar).  My wife required explanation for that one. 

27 minutes ago, Mumbler said:

In spite of insisting to my friends wholeheartedly that they don'tknow what they're missing, I'm actually the only person I know that plays PZ.  

What are the odds that copy/pasting the .35 files could corrupt my install (as I have no way of verifying integrity, reinstalling,  etc.)

It would be inconvenient for you, but you could technically log into your Steam account on your mates device if they let ya and download the update that way.  For security reasons I'd simply change my password before and after going to my friends place. 
As with everything in IWBUMS it is recommended to back up savegames just in case, but simply moving the installation off should work alright.

The whole Steam requirement itself - in case it's a concern or issue - is easily circumvented by editing the .json or .bat file and change
"-Dzomboid.steam=1" to

"-Dzomboid.steam=0" anyhow, so simply moving over the installation directory shouldn't cause any issue.  Just in case you're somehow locked out of Steam's offline mode for one reason or the other.

If you wanna be save, simply don't overwrite anything and just put the installation folder anywhere you like. 
I've been copypasting and switching installation folders for ages and is what I recommend for people who want to still be able to maybe play a previous version of the game in case a major fuckup somehow slips through internal testing and makes it onto the IWBUMS branch. 

27 minutes ago, Mumbler said:

P.s., thanks for the speedy reply, Nasko.  Oh, and for calling me a "sexy beast" on YouTube some years ago (I'm Evilwuun, I'd transcribed What Was Lost to Classical guitar).  My wife required explanation for that one. 

Hahah I remember that vid! 
No explanation should be needed there, you are a sexy beast.

Interesting, I wasn't aware PZ installs were that self-contained.  That's awesome that the game maintains that level of independence from Steam DRM and whatnot.  

I'll probably just wait as I might have the opportunity to hook my PC to the web sooner than I thought,  and I'd hate to mess it up and have no Zomboid in the interim.   Good to know that's an option, as I MIGHT have to go that road soon.

Would having someone .zip the install and email it to me work (as well as being legal)?

59 minutes ago, Mumbler said:

IWould having someone .zip the install and email it to me work (as well as being legal)?

You've bought the game, so yeah , you're good to go. They'd probably have to upload it somewhere like Google Drive, Dropbox due to file size but for your personal use (not posted anywhere so no distribution of it elsewhere) it's fair game.

Archived