breaking of doors

Yanaremir

I think it is unrealistic for a zombie to break the door on its own, I think three zombies should break the door (hardly) okay the glass alone can break a zombie, but it is ridiculous for a zombie to break the doors. I think this needs to be fixed. second, i think the characters can knock on the door and break the lock (depending on the character traits ) thanks for your attention

I like that Zomboid has destructibility and would like to see it be further explored. In this case depends on the type of door. To state the obvious here, a shabby level one door can definitely be broken by one zombie, but there are certainly doors that should not be broken by a lone zombie. I don't think a single zombie should be able to destroy a garage door for example.  From what I understand, the current system allows this, and I agree that this is a flaw.

My proposal for a solution is one regarding the destruction of structures in general. A lone zombie should not be very powerful, but in hordes some kind of function should be applied that multiplies the attack effect to make those devastating to structures. More zombies means more potential to wreak havoc upon structures, while a lone zombie shouldn't do much.

Edited by Guest
Fixed a typo and cleared up things a bit (Was half-asleep writing this)

then the demolition level and the durability level should be added to the structures. For example, a hundred-person zombie horde should be able to damage the walls (non-player-made. because they are already hurting player structures)  (and the walls must be very durable)

11 hours ago, Yanaremir said:

I think it is unrealistic for a zombie to break the door on its own

How do you know what is "realistic" for a zombie, since they aren't real? :) Different movies/books portrays zombies differently, and according to some zombie lore they are much stronger than humans. Project Zomboid is said to be heavily inspired by Romero's and Brooks' works and those aren't entirely realistic to start with.

I assume you're talking about front doors btw, because interior doors are usually very flimsy and could be broken by even an unarmed human. Even side doors can be quite weak in modern houses so it's not that much of a stretch imagining a single zombie would eventually be able to break one. And looking at houses in Kentucky 1993 1 2 3 it seems like at least some had front doors that could realistically be broken without super human power.

I'm not saying it's a bad suggestion though, I just don't think the only motivation should be realism. If you look at the how to write a good suggestion guidelines you'll see there are more important things than realism (or fitting the appropriate zombie lore). You'll also have to consider if it makes the game more fun to play, and that your proposed change doesn't make the game too easy. If you just make some exterior doors more durable I don't think it would have that much impact, since there are so many windows everywhere. But if you meant to make all doors more durable I think the game would be too easy unless you completely rebalance many other things.

As for introducing different types of doors I actually made the same suggestion a few days ago.

There is something called zombie strength in zombie settings. and this setting is weak. and there are only three options: weak, normal, superhuman strength rates. but in survivor option, the zombie power is weak. this means that a zombie is not as strong as a human being. Also, the durability of the zombies in the game we play is weak. So whatever way you look at it, it means that zombies are not even half the power of man. and zombies are dumb they cant hit anywhere properly. even if this is in a small detail it makes this game even better.