Different tiers for windows, doors and walls

sprkng

I think it would be both realistic and good for gameplay if there were bigger differences between different types of windows, doors and walls. Right now it doesn't matter much if you find a key to some place, because you can almost always just open a window, and if that doesn't work you just smash the window and enter with very little inconvenience. There are a couple of security doors in the game but those don't offer much resistance either, as you can disassemble it using a blowtorch, whack it a couple of times with an axe or wait for the zombies to break it for you. When you find a sledgehammer just knock down any wall and you can go into any place.

The sledgehammer is quite rare so it can take a while until you find it, but my point is that with very few items the whole map becomes accessible to you. IMO this is a bit boring from a gameplay perspective, but sinze PZ is primarily a sandbox survival game I don't want anyone to force gameplay elements just for the sake of adding progression and delaying "end game". However, I also think adding more depth to environmental destruction would be more realistic. I can't imagine someone being able to knock down concrete or metal walls with a sledge hammer.

So my proposal is to add different tiers, for example something like:

Simple windows (shed, trailers) that can be opened with common tools like screwdrivers, hammers, large knives.

Standard windows (most houses) that can be pried open with a crowbar, or you can choose to break the glass.

Reinforced windows (most stores) not possible to open, but can be smashed with the sledge hammer.

Heavily reinforced window (police station weapon room, bank, weapons shop, etc) same durability as the wall it's mounted on.

Doors could have similar durabilities as the corresponding window types, but without the glass-smashing option. And for walls it could be something like this:

Wood, plaster and light brick walls can be destroyed with the sledge hammer just like before.

Concrete walls requires you to get a gas powered cut off saw which would be a new item, perhaps as a rare spawn at construction sites and uncommon spawn at fire stations so you get a reason to check those out too.

Keys would become more important, especially early in the game as the proposed changes would make it more difficult to get into many places, so drop chances for them might need to be increased. 

I agree, metal doors should have a lot of durability, they should be much harder to knock down compared to a normal house/cabin wooden door. Garage doors, imo, should have the most durability. Also I want to add that different types of doors should make different sounds when opening/closing  :)

I'm on the fence regarding the windows though. I agree that maybe you need tools to open up certain windows, because sometimes it feels too easy to break in into houses/warehouses/whatever just with your bare hands!.. on the other hand, not being able to silently break into a house because you don't have a crowbar (which, honestly, it's not a very common item after all) will make gameplay a bit tedious, considering that early game you don't have the necessary tools and that will limit your looting options, also having to carry tools just to get windows opened will become a burden pretty soon... I dunno, not a terrible idea though, maybe I'll implement as an option, you know, like cars have "simple use" option...

On 4/21/2020 at 8:46 PM, Torenico said:

not being able to silently break into a house because you don't have a crowbar will make gameplay a bit tedious

That's a good point, and if this "soft progression" should work you need to give players access to some houses so they can survive early game and find better tools to unlock other parts of the map. I also realized that I had only been thinking about the types of windows we have here in Sweden while I tried to come up with what you would semi-realistically need to break into a house. Our windows have solid frames and lock with a metal handle, so if one is closed you'd definitely need a crowbar unless you smash the glass. However all the windows in PZ are of the sliding type, which might be easier to force open without large tools. I assumed this was because they were easier to implement than windows that swing open, but maybe sliding windows were really common in USA in the 90's. If that's true, then maybe most houses, or at least the ones in poorer areas, should have windows that only require basic tools.

One possible change to make early game easier could be to make some windows latched. You know how you usually can open a window a little bit and latch it with a piece of plastic or a small metal hook? These windows could be pulled open with a bit of force, making only a little noise. I think you'd need to represent this visually so the player can quickly identify what type of action/tool they need to open a window. I think it would also be realistic if you sometimes find a house with a fully open window. And you would also be able to get into houses where the door is unlocked or smashed by zombies.

It might slightly change how you play early game, as you'd have to do more running around and trying to find a house you can get into, as opposed to immediately looting every building you see. So some people would probably hate it, but maybe it could be set in options as you said

I've always thought that in the game windows that won't open and eventually play the "you broke it" sound are latched shut and you just broke the mechanism trying to force it open. Rest of the windows are just slid down casually without latching them. Any time used by the PC fumbling them open might be just about trying to get a good grip on the outside parts where there are no handles.

I like the idea of making later gameplay more demanding, but early gameplay don't need it that much. Maybe make doors stronger and require a crowbar to pry them open from the outside. Metal doors and especially secure doors should require more force or tools and skills.

Edited by Moloch Horridus
Adding a point

I think I generally like this idea, although I agree that there might be a need to balance it out a bit like it has been suggested in the thread.

My initial reaction was that, since I myself play with extreme rarity set on all loot items, it would make early game very hard for me. Like in my current run I only found a single pen in the house I spawned in and well, the second house was also almost empty, it wasn't until after a few houses that I had something to go with. In such a situation it would've been very hard for me if the houses around me would've been locked.

But then again, I only play with the setting because I find that there are too many items to loot, specially early game and I'm a bit of a hoarder. Making it harder to enter some buildings would actually solve that for me so I don't need to lower the loot rarity setting and maybe even "saving" some of the loot for later game, which, when I think about it, would be pretty nice.

• 8 months later...

Bumping this because it's still a great idea. Would go well with a Lockpicking skill that allows you to craft picks and open locks of all different kinds. Would be a super flexible system as players can already adjust Car/House Locked Frequency in sandbox settings. Want easy access to everything? Just set it to never and you can walk in every door or window. Realism more your way? You can set it so that every place in the game is locked.