MAP

arbozaliyan

i really feel the need of a map. constantly losing my way is frustrating. i don't want a map like other games like you can see the zombies or your mates (we will have mates, right?). but it would be nice to make modifications such as giving names to buildings or marking dangerous points manually. 

This seems like something that could possibly be a craftable item... Maybe you need a pen and nine pieces of paper or something, and it would be reasonably heavy (for balancing reasons) but I was thinking the same thing the last time I played.

Just a map that fits the entire 'map' on it, and which you could add "points of interest" to. So maybe it would just draw out the buildings as plain boxes when you found them, and if you wanted to add any more detail you'd have to do it yourself - at the expense of time and awareness of your surroundings. 

Also relieves boredom and keeps you occupied? :P

Use this for now. You can add your own markings.

Aww I was two hours too late to post about the map project :(

Oooo thanks for sharing.

It would be nice to have as a real game mechanic though, especially for any lets-players  :P Hopping between fullscreen and web tabs can be tricky. 

You could always get two monitors, or get a touchscreen for the second monitor and use that one for the map.

Edit: I moved below post to here, sorry my ocd made me do it.

Edited by kinyoshi

I was mostly referencing programs like FRAPS that record a specific window. If you're let's-playing you usually want your audience in on all of the action, and that doesn't work for everyone. :) Things to consider. 

Aww I was two hours too late to post about the map project :(

You could always get two monitors, or get a touchscreen for the second monitor and use that one for the map.

Edit: I moved below post to here, sorry my ocd made me do it.

you can also draw your map to a notebook(real one) but you would not because it is too much hassle.  

Street signs are a good idea on their own, but having a map is good for marking looting territory and getting a sense of 'the bigger picture'. 

Maybe the map is something you need to have equipped, and it takes up a good bit of the screen and doesn't pause the game, so it's dangerous to just stand in the street staring at your map. And maybe have the ability to mark buildings and write down why they're marked, and draw out paths, cross out dangerous/empty places, etc.

What if instead of an in-game map, there were street/road signs that had a text popup on mouseover? 

It wouldn't be unrealistic and has the added benefit of not weighing anything :)

i don't understand how map and signs are related to each other. map is basically to remember your safehouse, places you looted or plan to loot or marking places that has some many items or heavy items that is impossible to carry in one go. you can use signs to go places you don't know about, you use map to go places you know about. maps that can be found is a good idea but i still root for self created maps, like you see places you did not visit as dark or empty spots.

A idea I thought up was this, you can get a blank paper in game and use pencils and pens to draw it out (it goes in your inventory and does it automatically) so when you walk a street it shows it and enter a building it shows that too. For this to be balanced a few things, pens and pencils need to be turned into drainable items that overtime run out of ink/lead. As your guy writes this stuff you can later open the map and write on it (basic only for coding reasons like buildings you can mark with a X triangle or circle (you can pick what these mean)

In my opinion the map should grow by itself and weigh 0 weight units, this is because you have to carry pencils and pens on you constantly, also perhaps an option on death to save your map that you had used as a image file on your desktop?

A idea I thought up was this, you can get a blank paper in game and use pencils and pens to draw it out (it goes in your inventory and does it automatically) so when you walk a street it shows it and enter a building it shows that too. For this to be balanced a few things, pens and pencils need to be turned into drainable items that overtime run out of ink/lead. As your guy writes this stuff you can later open the map and write on it (basic only for coding reasons like buildings you can mark with a X triangle or circle (you can pick what these mean)

In my opinion the map should grow by itself and weigh 0 weight units, this is because you have to carry pencils and pens on you constantly, also perhaps an option on death to save your map that you had used as a image file on your desktop?

exhaustible pen and pencil are good idea. then papers should be exhaustible too, otherwise you could draw the whole area in a blank paper, that makes no sense in itself. i like this idea but i still like the pre-made maps more. 

I think that you should edit the main theme -(I'm speaking of the first thing you write, I don't know how to say it?¿)-haha

I have same idea like others, that the game need a "turtist map" or something, that you can write and draw anything you like.. but I think that this all theme is really messy xP

And maybe because is messy someone more put this theme also (?) http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/485-a-map-but-not-a-mini-map/

• 4 weeks later...

I think that you should edit the main theme -(I'm speaking of the first thing you write, I don't know how to say it?¿)-haha

I have same idea like others, that the game need a "turtist map" or something, that you can write and draw anything you like.. but I think that this all theme is really messy xP

And maybe because is messy someone more put this theme also (?) http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/485-a-map-but-not-a-mini-map/

"And maybe because is messy someone more put this theme also " i dont know what that means. could you rewrite it in english pls.

I think what he's trying to say is that this is on the commonly suggested suggestions, please don't post list and already has a thread over at the link he showed. I'm going to lock this thread for the reasons above, if further discussion is absolutely warranted we can do it there.

the link he showed is two mounts younger than this one. you should lock that one.

I think what he's trying to say is that this is on the commonly suggested suggestions, please don't post list and already has a thread over at the link he showed. I'm going to lock this thread for the reasons above, if further discussion is absolutely warranted we can do it there.

the link he showed is two mounts younger than this one. you should lock that one.

Fair point, but the other is more on topic, so we're going to move the discussion there.