Combat Related Bugs + Missing Mechanics Literature Textures

AuthenticPeach

0:25 player hit on bad angle, and the weapons now became more demanding on attack angle. So aim better.

0:44 by some reason game count second zombie who was after the first one as a prime target this should be fixed.

1:16 not enought time for rotation and hit started on wrong angle.

Some firearms also miss zombie who is in front of you they just move forward without get in hit, they some kind of ghost zombie. I can do some video about that.

0.25- I am curious how that is considered a bad angle? Near the end of the swing (where the attack registers.) Since both the range and direction seem fine.

1:16- I don't quite understand this criticism either since the attack is not finished (and many other examples showing you can get away with dragging the attack until the near end usually works.) With the baseball bat literally on the zombie considered bad angle?

Not trying to be rude here, I just don't agree with you and would like to clear up misunderstandings (since text can be easily misunderstood).

Looks like you’re consistently swinging too early, and slightly below where the lead zombie is?

Draw an imaginary line from the middle of your char to the end of the screen, passing through the Center of the zombie you want to hit. You’re always -15 degrees off.

Is it due to trying to aim with the isometric cursor and/or trying to to hit where they will be? That might of worked previously because the angles used to be really loose, even letting you hit zombies beside or behind you.

1 hour ago, AuthenticPuncakes said:

0.25- I am curious how that is considered a bad angle? Near the end of the swing (where the attack registers.) Since both the range and direction seem fine.

1:16- I don't quite understand this criticism either since the attack is not finished (and many other examples showing you can get away with dragging the attack until the near end usually works.) With the baseball bat literally on the zombie considered bad angle?

Not trying to be rude here, I just don't agree with you and would like to clear up misunderstandings (since text can be easily misunderstood).

Developers changed angle and range of all melee weapons not so long time ago, so for now it was bad angle and range on this video.

As for me - situation we have now is unacceptable, so I agree in changes to recalculate priority targets and increase angle and range.

This is going to be a bit off because you swung too early, but your mouse should be here:
Screen Shot 2020-04-19 at 6.47.37 PM.png

Should note that you don't have to swing the mouse to hit, either.  Moving it up and hitting after clicking is a sign that you were aiming in the wrong place, in the first place. Note the position of the isometric cursor, how low it is compared to the leading zombie?

The ones when playing with a controller are indeed odd, though I think that's also down to timing (striking too early).

19 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

This is going to be a bit off because you swung too early, but your mouse should be here:
Screen Shot 2020-04-19 at 6.47.37 PM.png

Should note that you don't have to swing the mouse to hit, either.  Moving it up and hitting after clicking is a sign that you were aiming in the wrong place, in the first place. Note the position of the isometric cursor, how low it is compared to the leading zombie?

The ones when playing with a controller are indeed odd, though I think that's also down to timing (striking too early).

I have never, ever had any issues with the cursor not being -specifically- targeted by a zombie.

If this is infact intentional, and not a bug then I would rather it be changed since the isometric view especially at some angles makes accuracy a bit demanding.

Also here is my counter screenshot of the same video where the angle is near perfect alignment.

Screenshot_2020-04-19-18-10-47.png

Well, now you have to be a bit more precise.

Its not like it’s outrageously different. It’s a couple degrees and weapons not having well out of balance reach.

Maybe the crowbar needs it’s length adjusted, judging by the screenshot.

This can happen with all the 2 handers that are good such as crowbar, baseball bat, Axe.

I could not reproduce the results with weapons such as the lead pipe and hammer. 

Imo, I think that if the model is touching a zombie it should connect, not sure how that would be implemented. There are SOME cases of hitting zombies behind the front of a zombie as well though that is even harder to reproduce.

(30 degrees I think would be a fair requirement)

degree-angle-icon-element-geometric-figure-mobile-concept-web-apps-thin-line-degree-angle-icon-can-be-used-degree-170188666.jpg

56 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Well, now you have to be a bit more precise.

Its not like it’s outrageously different. It’s a couple degrees and weapons not having well out of balance reach.

Maybe the crowbar needs it’s length adjusted, judging by the screenshot.

Even if it's a minor change, it still drastically affects combat and has screwed me over quite a lot, I've been injured and killed by this quite a few times.

That’s how you learn, by dying and changing tactics.

30 degrees of what it was originally, iirc. It was way too much, leading to hitting zombies off to your side.

Will try reproducing it, but we focused on 2-handed weapons when testing this. I really do think most of this is just old habits being hard to over-come.

There’s no way to tell in PZ that a model  clips through another, so hits are based on an arbitrary item length. This might change in the future. Until then, it’s basically manual tweaking and testing to find a good enough balance between  appearance and hits,

Compare this to the old preview video, where turn speed was much better:

0:42 fast turn & hit

0:46 fast turn & hit, visually a bit off 

1:27 niiice

All of these would have resulted in death with the current build.

btw NOBODY CARES about feet sliding a little. 

Edited by ZombiesLoveBrainiacs

5 hours ago, ZombiesLoveBrainiacs said:

Compare this to the old preview video, where turn speed was much better:

0:42 fast turn & hit

0:46 fast turn & hit, visually a bit off 

1:27 niiice

All of these would have resulted in death with the current build.

btw NOBODY CARES about feet sliding a little. 

We’re not going back. It was a hacked together proof of concept.

On 4/20/2020 at 12:13 AM, AuthenticPuncakes said:

If this is infact intentional, and not a bug then I would rather it be changed since the isometric view especially at some angles makes accuracy a bit demanding.

Also here is my counter screenshot of the same video where the angle is near perfect alignment.

Screenshot_2020-04-19-18-10-47.png

I don't understand this counter because that screenshot is of a part in the video (1:19) where you hit the zombie. How does this counter the argument that the swings you're missing are off to the side of a zombie? :P 

swingandahit.gif

That isometric cursor you have there is there to visualize where a character is aiming in the isometric perspective. 

My perspective on the video:
0:27 in the video - Character aims completely north west ingame (up on screen)
0:54 Off to the side of the zombie, easier to tell with m+kb than a controller because of the aiming cone we provide players with to get the point across
0:58 again off to the side, furthermore swinging before the character is turned around. 
1:05 same thing. Aiming off to the side of the zombie and swinging before turned around
1:15 off to the side. Notice how the hits before were fine? That's because it was aimed on the zombie, not off to the side. Same reason your hit at 1:19 hits the female zombie from your counter argument screenshot

1 hour ago, AuthenticPeach said:

Ok so my question is, If I aim, what do I use as a point of reference of attack in that 15 degree arc? Would it be the cursor, the circle at the bottom, or somewhere in between?

Thanks.

The circle on the bottom of the cursor basically shows you what tile you're aiming at. That's how you can see that you're aiming too far off to the side.

It's just he pressed too early, no bug there. With the aim on the first one, this would never happen, of course he wants more room after the swing to leave, but when you miss...that happens.

On 4/19/2020 at 11:23 PM, Nativel said:

As for me - situation we have now is unacceptable, so I agree in changes to recalculate priority targets and increase angle and range.

I am not sure what you mean here, but I can say I really do prefer the way it was before. Now I can't push who I want and stomp the guy on the ground because another one is close (pushing him instead). Or finish the one on the ground because someone is close.

I remember a guy complaining a few weeks ago (maybe it was on reddit? Not sure): he was killed because character went for the finishing on the one on the ground instead of the one coming his way. Except everything was working fine and the solution was simple, never try to hit until they completely pass the one down; I personally never had a problem with that and I am not sure why they changed it. Fighting three now feels different, not good as before, now you just push everyone and can't kill the one you're standing on, while before I could push the ones I wanted to push and stomp on the one on the ground.

Edited by Marco1