Watches and Weather

Scyoni

It isn't reasonable to assume someone in this day and age has a clock / watch that isn't on their cellphone, and most cellphones will last less than four days with even the barest of use, so the fact that you automatically get a clock in PZ kind of confuses me. 

I know this was suggested on the older forum, but I feel the need to bring it up again - Watches. They should be an item, and at least as common as shoes, but not something you start off with. They should have a chance of breaking if you do anything that injures you, but otherwise be the eternal source of proper time-keeping they already are. 

If you don't have a watch, there should either be a rudimentary sun-dial in the corner so you can approximate the time of day, or by pressing one of the unused buttons you should be able to look at the sky. Not with any first-person graphical wizardry, but just by overlaying an image of a sky (clear, cloudy, or raining) with the sun in the appropriate position or hidden behind clouds. If you don't know directions this makes you think for a few seconds about the time, which is reasonable given the circumstances.

It also brings me to another point - usually, you can tell when it's going to rain. If we had the 'look at the sky' option, or so little as a weather indicator that turned cloudy before the bad weather hit, we might be able to plan expeditions without getting ill when our perfectly clear day suddenly turned into The Day After Tomorrow. Considering a sudden bout of rain can make you ill and end your days, I don't think it's too much to ask to have a small chance of planning ahead. Not asking for a perfect forecast, I'd just like to see the clouds.

TL;DR : People don't all wear watches anymore and weather in PZ runs on a chaos engine. Suggestions to fix.

Discuss. :D

(EDIT: I noticed watches in the community suggestions topic after writing this... but considering the elaboration I'm leaving it in here. ;P Since it also ties into the weather thing, besides. If you don't know what I'm referring to please read this so we're on the same page.)

• 2 weeks later...

Really? I never saw that "wheather condition window" : P

But I imagine something like this

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/da69/ymhaf2h2oc0ym1kfg.jpg

That looks like great way of doing it but maybe making it look more like the game graphics. (sorry for the nitpicking :P) I also remember seeing some weather icons...

maybe having conditions that might precede a rain or a storm:

If it is sunny weather that's about to change straight to a storm you would have a sun icon and a storm cloud next to it (as you would see the clouds/rain), then somewhat overlapping it (partially cloudy starts to drizzle) then the storm icon. Or of course the rain cloud could change to a dark cloud and that to a light one etc. implying the change for a better weather. If it's already a dark cloudy day it might start raining anytime, but not like an on off switch from sunny to thunderstorm without you noticing anything.

Also as I like ambient sounds it would be nice to hear for example the birds going quiet, more wind sounds etc. when a storm is coming. Might be a more subtle way of making this without screen clutter. Maybe I'm going too far with this and it would only work as a mod but I'd like it.