Stealth indicators

QUADRA

Maybe, but some other things would have to get more attention for it to work well.

-I'm not aware of clothing affecting your stealth in any way at present, although it should based on lighting.

-Zombies seem to hear you doing things if you're within a certain distance even if you're not triggering the game to play a sound effect. You hear nothing, they hear "something."

-Zombies don't seem to me to be affected by things that should reduce their ability to hear you such as rain, thunder, or a car idling nearby.

Any sound that is a good deal louder than others should reduce or even cancel out the quieter sounds unless those listening are very close to the origination.

7 hours ago, BoogieMan said:

Maybe, but some other things would have to get more attention for it to work well.

-I'm not aware of clothing affecting your stealth in any way at present, although it should based on lighting.

-Zombies seem to hear you doing things if you're within a certain distance even if you're not triggering the game to play a sound effect. You hear nothing, they hear "something."

-Zombies don't seem to me to be affected by things that should reduce their ability to hear you such as rain, thunder, or a car idling nearby.

Any sound that is a good deal louder than others should reduce or even cancel out the quieter sounds unless those listening are very close to the origination.

clothing do affect stealth by changing the amount of noise you do when moving. 

as per the above, they probably heard your footsteps, especially at lower sneak levels and without the proper shoes. 

the third point is actually really needed, together with the future cover system / peek from cover system.

I don't think such meta-knowledge should be communicated by the game. You don't see damage numbers pop up every time you take a baseball bat to a zombie head, either. Stealth is a vague concept that you can more or less 'learn' by playing the game, which actually makes it more fun and interesting than if the game told you exactly how it worked and threw numbers at you.

On 4/13/2020 at 8:24 AM, Zork said:

I don't think such meta-knowledge should be communicated by the game. You don't see damage numbers pop up every time you take a baseball bat to a zombie head, either. Stealth is a vague concept that you can more or less 'learn' by playing the game, which actually makes it more fun and interesting than if the game told you exactly how it worked and threw numbers at you.

I strongly disagree, unless the character is deaf, you should know EXACTLY how much noise you're making. I agree with OP, we should have a noise indicator until the game is sufficient enough to let player hear the noise they make thru in game sfx.

On 4/18/2020 at 6:39 AM, SVAFnemesis said:

I strongly disagree, unless the character is deaf, you should know EXACTLY how much noise you're making. I agree with OP, we should have a noise indicator until the game is sufficient enough to let player hear the noise they make thru in game sfx.

But we as players already hear the noise our character makes. Listen, walking on different surfaces have different sounds, going through the bushes creates a sound as does clearing the windows from glass. You can punch air with you weapon to alert zombies and that makes a distinct sound also. Playing will teach the players what they can do without being heard, and thats the way it should be in my opinion.

Any indicator should only tell you about the sound emitted from PC perspective, and thus be useless to the player because distance and settings and maybe even deterioration of zombies alter how they experience it. If an indicator would reflect the zombies hearing ability, what zombie out of many possible ones would that even be, the closest one? What if you aren't even aware of the closest zombie but think that the one you see is the closest. Again, the indicator would be either have to be false or would enable cheating.

On 4/18/2020 at 5:39 AM, SVAFnemesis said:

What things in game make noise that zombies can hear but aren't represented with sfx? OP also asked for a visibility indicator, which would be super unrealistic IMO.

I think a noise indicator should be available as an accessibility option though, to make the game easier to play for hearing impaired people.

Another way to make this more engaging without straight-up adding number indicators would be to make all the sounds in the game actually as loud as their noise level is supposed to be. No more thunderous trowel digging and soundless sneaking.

Archived