When fog is on, black lines appear in screen

Faalagorn

I'm not sure if that's something on my side, as I experienced this bug before since the weather build 40, but I thought it's something in drivers. It might still be, but it was over a year and I reinstalled my OS since, but the bug is still happening. The black lines only appear when there's fog and it's zoomed out.imageproxy.php?img=&key=58ae9e4cd9fdbc71

108600_20200409190041_1.thumb.png.6e55bde25267d5c3be881f7308a2900b.png

imageproxy.php?img=&key=58ae9e4cd9fdbc71108600_20200409190020_1.thumb.png.4d91c071f723618353ff7ffe8dc03bae.png

I'm currently running mesa-tkg-git 20.1.0_devel.121702.b113170559b-1 but I had it appearing under different Mesa versions. AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB

Edited by Faalagorn

I get the exact same thing! Have posted a few times on the Steam forums with no response and was thinking I needed to post here now, so glad someone else finally mentioned it!

Using IWBUMS build 41 (latest).

I've got an older ATI graphics card and using Windows 7, but never had serious display issues with PZ (been playing since Kate & Baldspot!) until now. A new card would be nice, but obviously not possible during a real-world pandemic so hopefully that's not the only solution!

pzglitchfog.jpg

Edited by Banjo

Funny how I suspected my OS being an issue and we have that issue on Mac and Windows 7 too :D. I'll remove the assumption from the thread, and hopefully it'll be figured out eventually. Seems the common denominator might be something with OpenGL maybe? or AMD cards? Or just something totally different, maybe it's better not to guess too much.

My first guess was video card, since that usually seems to be the issue (many devs don't test/expect older cards or certain less-common brands). Really hope it can be fixed, since this isn't something that happened with previous builds for me.

IMO, OpenGL is always a pain because often it renders "blurry" for me; I avoid it when given the choice with things like DOSBox and emulators. PZ doesn't have that issue for me at all, though... just these ugly lines and *only* during fog.

6 hours ago, Banjo said:

My first guess was video card, since that usually seems to be the issue (many devs don't test/expect older cards or certain less-common brands). Really hope it can be fixed, since this isn't something that happened with previous builds for me.

IMO, OpenGL is always a pain because often it renders "blurry" for me; I avoid it when given the choice with things like DOSBox and emulators. PZ doesn't have that issue for me at all, though... just these ugly lines and *only* during fog.

Yeah, the problem with OpenGL drivers on Windows, especially for AMD is that the closed source drivers AMD uses on Windows are known to perform worse than open source Mesa driver, especially after all the love Valve got to it recently. Unfortunately there's no way (at least I know of) to try them on Windows, though the issue seems to affect other drivers as well, so it may be a red herring.

I wanted to try it on Zink, an OpenGL to Vulkan translator to see if it helps, but due to the fact it's still early in development, it sadly crashes.