Infection mortality in Zombie Lore

mr8kc

Hello all.
I've been playing with Infection Mortality and I'm struggling to understand what it actually does, as I have done a number of run throughs and keep dying of what I think is the infection. I'm fairly certain something is going on, as "Never" should mean that the virus infection isn't deadly, but I die of a fever or something else - I defnitely not bleeding out though. I'm wondering if anyone has managed to find info on this mystical field in Zombie Lore settings! :) I tested this on 41.33.

I've seen some mention that this is to do with infections from wounds etc - but that doesn't make too much sense if it is located in the Zombie Lore settings. Anyone done any digging in this area before?

Thanks!

Infection is just a counter. Once you hit 100, you die. Mortality determines if or how fast that happens. It’s entirely separate from wounds.

So as transmission is on, you still get infected. The infection by itself simply does not kill you, but anything else on top of it can.

Thanks EnigmaGrey. I am looking for a more complete set of info on the mortatlity  when set to "Never". I went through a bunch more tests last night and can't seem to prevent death, despite being entirely healthy other than having the infection. So in this scenario, where wounds are not present, not blood loss, no pain, no stress - it seems to be the sickness which is killing me.

This is counter-intuitive to the "Never" setting, as I see it, as the sickness is only coming from the zed infection and therefore that is developing the sickness. I'm beginning to think the Infection Mortality shouldn't really be in the game, given the lack of control it has and the only way to truly prevent death is to remove transmission.

I'd be interested in knowing what the devs actually put this in the game for, as a no lethal zed infection would lead to a pretty tought existence, without death. Is that the idea?

On 4/8/2020 at 4:25 AM, mr8kc said:

Thanks EnigmaGrey. I am looking for a more complete set of info on the mortatlity  when set to "Never". I went through a bunch more tests last night and can't seem to prevent death, despite being entirely healthy other than having the infection. So in this scenario, where wounds are not present, not blood loss, no pain, no stress - it seems to be the sickness which is killing me.

This is counter-intuitive to the "Never" setting, as I see it, as the sickness is only coming from the zed infection and therefore that is developing the sickness. I'm beginning to think the Infection Mortality shouldn't really be in the game, given the lack of control it has and the only way to truly prevent death is to remove transmission.

I'd be interested in knowing what the devs actually put this in the game for, as a no lethal zed infection would lead to a pretty tought existence, without death. Is that the idea?

Take Antibiotic when you feel sick, it is not the zombie infection but the normal infection killed you with the fever 

I ran several tests in debug mode to figure this out. When you set mortality rate to never, you'll get fake infection instead of infection. However this fake infection will kill you same way as infected when left unattented. You simply cure it by taking antibiotics. I have not tested whether being well fed and well rested will cure it as well, though I suspect it does not.

In all my tests this wasn't the case. Always a true infection, never a fake one. This was a considerable amount of testing too, not just a one off. I'm waiting for 41.35 and will test again.

5 hours ago, mr8kc said:

In all my tests this wasn't the case. Always a true infection, never a fake one. This was a considerable amount of testing too, not just a one off. I'm waiting for 41.35 and will test again.

How can you tell the difference? 

All I know is that a "fake" infection causes real fever - on top of everything else that causes fever. With certain traits like "prone to illness", the fever is so severe that it will be deadly no matter what.

On 4/21/2020 at 6:40 PM, ZombiesLoveBrainiacs said:

All I know is that a "fake" infection causes real fever - on top of everything else that causes fever. With certain traits like "prone to illness", the fever is so severe that it will be deadly no matter what. easy recipes

been wondering the exact same question. update if you find any answers please. thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2020 at 4:40 PM, ZombiesLoveBrainiacs said:

All I know is that a "fake" infection causes real fever - on top of everything else that causes fever. With certain traits like "prone to illness", the fever is so severe that it will be deadly no matter what.

Yes, this is true and certainly, if "Never" was working, it would still be very hard to survive.

You can tell the difference if you are in debug. I spent a LONG time in debug mode watching the various sliders move around and dragging the sickness one back left to "cure" my character. Seriously, I'd recommend going and looking at how a normal run looks with those debug sliders open.... so much going on in the most simple of situations!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another anecdote:

I got infected with "Never", took antibiotics, and then the moodle went away. However, it came back, so I took another round of antibiotics to make it go away. It came back a third time and this time I had no antibiotics so I died.

I wish I could try again and see if

1. Taking a third round would have been enough to save me

2. Taking two rounds back to back, rather than waiting for the infection to regain strength, would have cured me permanently

Archived