A REVIEW: Comparing the changes in the beta build with the stable build ----Balance updates suggestions.

Argos

Hello guys, I'm a brazilian player of project zomboid that have been enjoying this marvellous game since very old builds, and in this topic I wish to talk and discuss about the new changes to come compared with the actual stable version of the game and some details that I think should be added/ fixed.

Here you may comment the characteristics that you dislike and like in this new version to come for our favorite game, trying to help the developers balance and evolve the game even more and reach our expectation and surpass them as they have already made so many times.

After playing the beta for a few hours, I've been feeling how much the changes made in combat and stealth have changed the game, and I can say that the animations are a marvel and very organic, and the souds provide a even deeper immersion in a pos apocaliptic scenario. But as it isn't released as a stable version yet, I conclude that the developers know that changes and balance issues are to be made and be done yet.

1- Something that made me a little dissatisfied compared to my playstile in the actual stable version of the game compared with the beta is the STEALTH effectivenes:

--Compared with the acurrancy of the hearing and vision of the zombies, the stealth (both in Apocalipse and Survivor scenarios, that are setted at normal level in sandbox menu) even in level 10 both in light footed and sneaking (cheater leveled), is too much nerfed even at the night...

In the game, if you walk in front of a zombie facing the direction you are passing by, there is a chance to be seen based in the lightting level, sneaking level and the distance that you are, a chance to be looked upon based in the noise that you make and your distance from the zombie, a chacne that can be reduced with the level of light footed and other factors, and a chance of the zombie randomly changing the direction that it is facing, and this new direction may be the one that you are passing by giving it the chance to see you. 

Despite the zombie facing the same direction that you are passing, it is always with its head a little low, as if looking at the ground, so even if the zombie is facing the direction that you are passing by, it doesn't imply in him seeing you all the times or even looking at you with "attention", that is the concept behind insconspicious and sneaking skill I think..

--If you have played both versions of the game, you maybe have seen the GREAT PROBLEM I'm mentioning, especially if you played 6 Months Later scenario for many months (or not by dying horribly pretty early).

It appears that you are spotted by all zombies facing your direction ALL THE TIME in this new game version, despite your levels in agility

If you have played six months later scenario in Build 40 you maybe have seen how being sneaky is a must.. but after playing and gaining experience in the new version to come of the game, I'm a little nervous about being insatisfied with the changes in playstyle... even with crouching option.. and I dont see the old 6 Months Later scenario possible in this new version.

If you try to compare the spotting ability from zombies in build 40 and Beta 41, it appears (using the sandbox configuration options) that the hearing and specially the vision level of the zombies in Beta 41 is Medium and High even with Insconspicious and Graceful traits, respectively, and in Build 40 is low and low. Try comparing it for yourselfs using MAx all Skills cheating mod and with the Insconspicious + Graceful traits!!! Stealth is too nerfed...

----------- I suggest a balance fix in this aspect, and the way that it should be done is as follows: 

--Reducing the probability of the zombie seeing you despite it facing the same direction that you are passing + another probability reduction if the player is crouching and behind an object

--Increacing the probability reduction in those aspects if you have the Inconspicuous trait

2- Another problem is the SCENARIOS CONFIGURATION and the inexistance of 6 months later scenario. As I see the difference between Apocaliptic VS Survivor Scenarios that consists (using sandbox configuration as reference) only in the ability of the zombies dragging you down (disabled in Survivor) and the hability to strike more than one zombie in a single swing of your weapon (disabled in APocaliptic) is too much superficial.

First, it don't make sense to me to turn combat so much more harder in Apocaliptic by turning off multiple hit option... 

In the way I see things.. maybe the Apocalyptic scenario "tryes" to make what the 6 Months Later Scenario does very well.. turning combat harder to focus in Stealth and in super fast risky looting in the correct situations... but in the wrong way

The zombies in Apocalypse scenario (AKA 6 Months Later) should return to 6X or less.. the multy hit option should be allowed, and the stealth balance (as written by me in topic one) should be done. The stealth aproach would be more about maneuvering between hordes of zombies and a few lone zeds.. killing sillently and efficiently the few that you cannot ignore and fucking running and maneuvering between trees, windows and etcetara to make the zeds that actually spot you lose you... or you readuce them to 2 or 3 to kill them with your skills

3- Turning of Randon environment attacks from zombies in Apocalypse and Survivor? Common mannn, really, why?

4- The impossibility to SPEAK in different loudness levels (AKA press Q in the keybord) in different levels of loudness.. Man, you should, really should be able to whisper, speak, scream or howl to attract different ammounts of zombies with your voice.

--What could be done to solve this: when you press Q, an text about the loudness of your voice appears above your head but inside a "imagination balloon".. if you roll your mouse wheel you swap between whisper, low voice, normal voice, loud voice, scream and howl sound levels.. and when pressing the mouse wheel (AKA mouse button 3) the sound is made!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5- THe impossibility to throw rocks, tin cans, and other objects to create sounds and distractions..

--What could be done to solve this: Making the throw skill, adding a throw arc menu that mimics the direction you are aiming, and the distance beeing controled by your mouse. Then a throw check would be done depending on your skill. Where the object lands would be the place where a sound would be generated as if "your voice" would appear in the place attracting some zeds.

Well well... I can call this a LONG post.. but there are many more fix suggestions and comments I will add with the time as I play and compare both game versions. But I'll done so when I figure and understand more of the new version of the game.

Anyway, thank you very much for reading this and congratulations for the Indie Stone group for making one of my most favorite games!! Trully love project zomboid!!!

Archived