Server rubber banding issues, chunks not loading

karlkarl93

Question

So me and my friend are playing on a server I am hosting (allocated 16 GB RAM) on my PC (Ryzen 1700X (Overclocked), 32GB RAM, GTX 1080Ti) and we are using no mods, pure vanilla. 
I'm having issues similar to them (reddit post is me): 

So we ran into this issue when trying to drive two cars at the same time, my friend instantly said that hey I can't see you anymore and then he had the black chunks not loading issues, and he had to disconnect and reconnect to try to fix it. When he joined back he tried to start the car up again, but it wouldn't and he saw laggy zombies walking towards him, so he ran out of the car and to our house, where from he was suddenly teleported back to the car and the engine was on. He disconnected again. I personally saw some laggyness with his car but not with the zombies. So I tried to herd them away. We later just shut down the server, will have to see if restarting it fixes it. 

We live in the same country (Estonia), different cities, but on a such a small country scale it doesn't matter really. We have never had any connection issues with any other games ever, so does Zomboid require both ends to have very high end connections? Also we played fine a few months ago, where we had our two car convoys and we drove to other cities for loot and so on.

Any other ideas what might work?

3 answers to this question

If you have any mods enabled I recommend turning them off, I also recommend increasing the RAM allocated to the game, I think 4 - 6 should do the trick for your case. Other than that, the rubber banding and lagging zombies and cars are tied to the internet speed and the connection between you and the player. There isnt much I can suggest there to help, if you are too far away from each other and have slower internet speeds, the game will lag.

56 minutes ago, Beard said:

If you have any mods enabled I recommend turning them off, I also recommend increasing the RAM allocated to the game, I think 4 - 6 should do the trick for your case. Other than that, the rubber banding and lagging zombies and cars are tied to the internet speed and the connection between you and the player. There isnt much I can suggest there to help, if you are too far away from each other and have slower internet speeds, the game will lag.

I edited the original post to be more clear, but I am already using the max amount of ram (16GB) the in-game hosting menu allows me to use, and 16 out of my 32 total seems like a good higher limit. Also we are in the same country, and have never had any connection issues before, even in zomboid where we played some months ago just fine without any issues, nothing in our playstyle has changed. I didn't spot any new updates during that time either that could've changed things.

Hm, can you try starting up a new server with a new map? You can just create another setting file and use that one, in which case you wont lose your current progress.

Also, can you send your logs from "C:\Users\YourUserName\Zomboid", it will be a file named "logs.zip", just attach it to your next message. It contains information about the server settings and the logs from the server.

Archived