[41.31] Character movement freezes or stutters when using a one handed weapon while back pedaling and a zombie either falls to the ground or is killed.

the-phil

It appears as if the character attempts to moonwalk, or should we say the animation plays but the character position does not change when a successful knockdown blow or kill shot is landed.

https://clips.twitch.tv/ThankfulAssiduousMallardResidentSleeper

First ten seconds show the character back pedaling while successfully landing blows on the target. Around 13 seconds you can see a fluid back pedaling movement where the characters feet continue to move but the character stops moving backwards. The streamer Strieson is commenting along with the first and consecutive moonwalk movements.

It seems to be really subtle and took me a few times to notice. I found focusing my eyes on the characters feet seemed to help spot the moonwalk stutter.

Another clip

https://www.twitch.tv/strieson/clip/VivaciousPluckyDotterelDogFace

As you can see in the clips a cleaver and a hand axe were used. I believe it can be replicated with any one handed weapon when a zombie is successfully knocked over or a kill shot is landed while back pedaling.

I don't remember if it was like that before like 41.29 or something. I've noticed that walk speed was noticeably faster while hitting zombies after some update but it was cool, i thnk, but then was that bug. It only happens with one haded weapon, as you said, maybe this happens because of that. I will test it and give you an update. I still have 41.27 on my PC it so happens

That is the way it's -supposed- to work for all attacks (build 41.30 and below). It got broken in a recent update and needs to be "fixed." In this case, the fix is having a smaller pause that's always present by default in Apocalypse. Though the pause will be shorter, as we've been tweaking animations and exploring other options the past two weeks as, especially with the hand axe, it doesn't make as much sense as it does with the bat.

Do let us know how it plays when the patch comes out. 

Just to be clear, I fully acknowledge it looks really weird for the hand axe to have a pause that long. We might need to do something special for single-handed weapons make it look more believable and have it be less disruptive while balancing the game. :P

Yep - it's called melee attacks disruption in sandbox, but it seems that right now disruption is present only when you don't hit anything (at least with baseball bat), yet you walk unimpeded if you hit zombie, maybe disruption is set while recovering from attack, not during it. To be honest I thought it meant to buff knife combat, right now with bread knife you need only two hits to stunlock zombie and go around it to kill it whitch makes it a valuable weapon if your character is tired, before it needed three

On 3/18/2020 at 7:57 AM, EnigmaGrey said:

Do let us know how it plays when the patch comes out. 

The animations look smoother with 41.33, didn't notice any "moonwalking" and cheers for all the info! Glad to see the animation fix so quickly and it's the disruption is being tweaked as needed. Definitely feeling some of the tweaks while waiting for muscle memory to catch up. Awesome to see all the fine tuning, it's coming out amazing. Great mix of challenge and fun.

On 3/18/2020 at 8:20 AM, bartekrz65 said:

Yep - it's called melee attacks disruption in sandbox ... right now with bread knife...

Character tab "melee movement disruption", had a feeling it had something to do with that but something seemed off and thank you for the clarification.

I love butter knives! All knives are really just some type of upgraded butter knife. I definitely noticed some of the old jaw_stab or backstab tweaks with the zombie awareness in the latest 41.33. My poor butter knives didn't seem to get an auto kill after pushing a zombie over and waiting for them to stand up. However the enhanced butter knives, aka kitchen knives, seemed decent with the backstabs after a pushed over zombie stood up. All good tweaks but I will miss taking out a horde with a pocket full of butter knives.