Tatdoid

nasKo

Cortman-doom-712x462.jpg

Hey all, a quick round the houses of things in the works at PZ HQ. This Monday we released IWBUMS beta version 41.30, while yesterday we hotfixed it with version 41.31 that fixed up the more egregious of its bugs.

There is still an issue (rooted, we think, at Steam’s end rather than our own) in which a minority of those running the beta with mods can’t launch the game. If this is you then a workaround can be found in this thread, while we will endeavour to have it patched in 41.32 ASAP.

We already have an internal test build for 41.32 up and running – and at the moment this also includes ropes that can be used as sheet ropes, caught fish of increased nutritional value, cutaway improvements and a variety of other improvements from the lovable bunch we know as Team Tanglewood. There’s also a load of fixes to the main map that have been added in after we received a quick kick up the bum on this subject from the chaps and ladies of the PZ reddit.

Given as we need to patch out the above Steam/mod issue this will released as soon as we can safely do so, and after another internal update of our build-making machine.

Some good progress on MP this week, with Mark’s network sync clock done and awaiting integration. This is one individual part in a wider process, but also a vital one. Longstanding doid-readers might recall our former MP experiments with Yuri establishing an overall MP loot syncing system, which we ultimately put on the shelf due to requirements elsewhere. So thankfully Mark has been able to bring this back and build on it within the codebase – saving some time in the progress.

This also gives Mark a point to inject stress test code (fake missed data, out of order data etc) for stress testing fake clients – so we can troubleshoot on non-populated servers. This will be one of Mark’s next tasks, and he told the blogger this week that “if you want a cool word to use then say that next we will be building the tools to ‘netstorm’ the server and clients so we can debug against real world worst case scenarios”. So there you go: we will be doing a ‘netstorm’.

What else then?

• 41.31 came with some changes to how zombies act around fences – either breaking them down in crowds, or knocking over players lying in wait. RJ is currently and improving the latter – most likely mixing in player stats/moodles/situation to determine whether or not you’ll fall, making it less automatic, potentially mixing in some more general crawler behaviour and also adding in some sandbox options. It’s not perfect currently, we know, but we’re confident we can improve it.
  • The merge with the Zoom branch has brought us crisper character models, which also means that we can now experiment with more character customisation options – such as tattoos. Here’s a test texture that we came up with this morning both in-game and in the character creation window. (The numbers are us fiddling around with resolution and such.)
512Comparison.jpg
CreatorComparison.png
  • Yuri is moving onto the next stage of his fire development work – which is essentially tying fire effects into the game-proper. He is currently making sure fire does not spread over unsuitable materials, and addressing current issues with the fire system like tiles not being destroyed, uncharred tiles being left behind and fires getting out of hand on the map.
  • Turbo meanwhile, while he waits for feedback on the implementation of the current temperature system (could people please see what it’s like surviving through winter and feed back to us?), is reviving his slightly dormant work on in-game devices. The basis of this the kind of extendable IO systems you might get in something like modded minecraft, but on a more basic level you’ll finally be able to watch DVDs after broadcast transmissions have dried up.

This week’s sneaking past Dr Cortman from Max0Rda. A general list of stuff added to PZ, and vids of features being worked on, is kept here – so you don’t have to plough through endless dev blogs for info. The Centralized Block of Italicised Text would like to direct your attention to the PZ Wiki should you feel like editing or amending something, and the PZ Mailing List that can send blogs like this and patch notes direct to your mailbox. We also live on Twitter right hereOur Discord is open for chat and hijinks too!

About the temperature feedback, in winter, temperature seems to be more stable and better than other previous versions,that's for sure. My character overheats slowlier than before and I'm glad that being hungry affects thermoregulation again, it feels pretty realistic.

But changing the interior temperature constantly to 22ºC makes my character instantly overheat when i come from outside with heavy clothing. Apart from this little issue, it's feels really polished so good job.

Edited by axeladalidez78

10 hours ago, nasKo said:

Turbo meanwhile, while he waits for feedback on the implementation of the current temperature system (could people please see what it’s like surviving through winter and feed back to us?), is reviving his slightly dormant work on in-game devices. The basis of this the kind of extendable IO systems you might get in something like modded minecraft, but on a more basic level you’ll finally be able to watch DVDs after broadcast transmissions have dried up.

Errr.... wouldn't that be VHS, dude? DVDs were invented in 1995, and didn't come out commercially in the States until the 97, and even then, it took until 2002 for them to fully adopted and fully replace VHS. (Source: I worked on a video store for most of my pre-teen/early teen years)

Also, if he's gonna work on devices again, maybe we could have PCs exist somewhere outside of the super-secret base; it has always felt so weird to see all those office buildings without a single PC on the desks...

Edited by Blake81

2 hours ago, Blake81 said:

Also, if he's gonna work on devices again, maybe we could have PCs exist somewhere outside of the super-secret base (snip)

Please also make radios and ham radios use house power instead of batteries when placed in a powered house.

Also, perhaps new car radio item instead of getting normal radios from cars?

Edit:

QoL: instead

right-click device in world > device options > turn on/off

please make turn on/off available in the context menu, like so:

right-click device in world > turn on/off

Edited by Geras

Now that we're using higher resolutions, shouldn't the eyebrows be changed to match the hair color? I understand that before it wasn't that noticeable as you wouldn't zoom in much, but now its just a blonde or black haired guy with medium brown eyebrows.

image.png.627a123955ef047d6bf5635e9e7aa6ec.png

17 hours ago, axeladalidez78 said:

But changing the interior temperature constantly to 22ºC makes my character instantly overheat when i come from outside with heavy clothing. Apart from this little issue, it's feels really polished so good job.

Yeah I didn't understand this change. The patch notes said this is temporary until heating devices are introduced(??) But we already have heating devices. I'm confused 🤔 

(edit: Unless it's not possible to make rooms cooler in the summer without making them warmer at winter)

Edited by crossed

2 hours ago, crossed said:

Yeah I didn't understand this change. The patch notes said this is temporary until heating devices are introduced(??) But we already have heating devices. I'm confused 🤔 

(edit: Unless it's not possible to make rooms cooler in the summer without making them warmer at winter)

Freezing to death, standing in a house with  electricity and water on doesn’t make sense.

14 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Freezing to death, standing in a house with  electricity and water on doesn’t make sense.

Oh, while the power is still on, that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

Edited by crossed

On 3/5/2020 at 12:41 PM, nasKo said:

also includes ropes that can be used as sheet ropes

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏 Time to reskin all the bases on my old saves. Those sheet ropes were looking janky in my otherwise stylin safehouses. Awesome!

In my opinion, for 1993, DVDs are just alien technologies ... More realistic are VHS video players and VCRs ... it would be possible while the broadcasting is working to record broadcasts ... and even tapes can contain volatile programs.

Tattoos are just great! But do not give us a choice right away when creating ... it will be much more interesting to fill them with a needle and ink on the body during the game ... For example, finding a specialized magazine in a tattoo parlor ... where you can choose a tattoo ... naturally this should not happen instantly and take time ... with healing, etc.

Edited by Nebula

Additionally, although I do not know how everyone might receive this - the ability to custom draw your tattoos in the game, and save templates, in the vein of something akin to the Black Ops emblem creator, or just a basic drawing tool, would be quite cool. Likewise for the ability to draw signs, graffiti, and paint on walls.

Edit - also, the ability to tattoo other people. Perhaps you would require some sort of tattoo artist trait to have the ability to draw any at all? But the ability to use such tattoos to signify your clan would be pretty awesome.

Edited by Guest

During those days you had video rental stores. Perhaps video tapes can be collected in such stores? While VCRs have to be acquired at a video store and can rarely be found with a TV.

Finally: What about the Video game consoles? You find cute handheld consoles, giving functionality to those would be nice!

Sorry for offtop. Can you add the ability to embed your own music in the game? After many hours of survival,

I can no longer listen to standard music. Had to completely disable this.

I have a folder with ambient and soundtrack from other games (for example Resident Evil),

it would be great if I had the opportunity to add it to the game. I hope for feedback and I apologize for my English.

Edited by xcfbdfg