IWBUMS 41.30 Released

lemmy101

So here's some feedback for the secret special sauce - ordered from buggy to whiny:

1. Sometimes, the zed's hand didn't even touch me and I still fall down.

2. Sometimes, I fall down after killing the zed crawling towards me.

3. I'm guessing that zeds that are in the middle of the climbing animation is now considered standing up? My character will hit them as if they are standing up, and they will stand up instantly.

4. Due to #3, my character will prioritize in attacking a zed climbing through a window or fence rather than the zed that already climbed through it. If I remember correctly, there was a patch that prioritized attacking a zed standing up than attacking a one lying down. Now with the secret sauce patch, the more prominent danger is the one lying down, crawling towards you.

5. It feels like there should be an intermediate sauce, in which the character just stumbles for a second rather than falling down 100% of the time. It could depend on the number of crawlers, player's stats, and whether or not the player is facing the zeds. Realistically, can you make someone fall down while you are lying flat on your stomach?

6. The crawl attack animation looks a bit too fast. It looks like the zed is sped up for a moment, and it's kinda awkward.

Overall, it's a really cool feature, but currently using fences, which should be a defensive advantage, is way more dangerous than not doing so, mainly due to the bugs (#1-4). The window is a bit better since I can find a sweet spot where the problem in #4 won't happen, since the zeds come from a single hole.

Edited by icedCoffee

12 hours ago, lolcid said:

Is there a way to revert to IWBUMS 41.29?

41.30 is noticeably laggier for me:

"zoomed out all the way" lags horribly,

look in the distance now has "cast time" of approx 1-2 seconds long? (before it finally pans away to "look in the distance") - is this intended?

It's kinda unplayable compared to 41.29, I stopped playing after 5 min.

I was hoping for performance improvements...

All in all, is there a way to revert to 41.29 and stop it from updating until you guys sort this out?

No. It would fragment a considerably small amount of users even more already. We rely on feedback like this to make the game better. Further fragmenting a portion of the player base to end up with tiny percentages running any build 41 version between the original release and now would be a horror for sorting out bugs and other issues.

15 hours ago, lolcid said:

All in all, is there a way to revert to 41.29 and stop it from updating until you guys sort this out?

With GoG you just copy the game folder of a 41.29 version and store it away for safe keeping. Replacing the "broken" version with this one and just not update the game. So you can keep every version if you like. Even with Steam* you can do this with a bit of launch settings changed. *I do not own the Steam version so only heard about it. DRM for ya! Steam and Galaxy only checks one folder when updating the game. So launching the game from a outher folder wiht the game inside of it and boom! You have 41.29 running as long as DRM is not in your way. Never to be broken by some auto updater.

But going back and download a old version? Na not without help from the devs. Or someone like me with the GoG version that can just give you it on a USB drive. We have not had the update yet so can still download the 41.29. Just not right to spread it around like that. A bit like pirating ;)

Only thing you have to do might be removing some folders outside of the game install itself / backup them. This are things that the game creates ones you launch the game for the first time. Or if the file is missing it should be recreated if it is programmed right. So removing files outside of the game install itself just revert it back to default. Normal to find files like this in you Document folder. Got to learn where this are stored and so on depending on game or program. Different versions out right change stuff that can make the game crash. = clean install happy install.  PC knowledge needed.  You basicly can only have one version installed thanks to the files being spread around like that. But you have the "core" of all your lovely versions to clean install over the current one.

Quite simple if you ones learn how to do it. But the best thing is for the dev guys and girls sort this out ;)

Why I love DRM free software. I have a few versions of "My Summer Car" saved thanks to the dev of that game having NO DRM on it. As far as I can tell anyways. It is a Steam only game 😕

Edited by Turbo50

15 hours ago, lolcid said:

41.30 is noticeably laggier for me:

"zoomed out all the way" lags horribly,

look in the distance now has "cast time" of approx 1-2 seconds long? (before it finally pans away to "look in the distance") - is this intended?

It's kinda unplayable compared to 41.29, I stopped playing after 5 min.

I was hoping for performance improvements...

I too was expecting a performance improvement. I have a pretty solid rig for gaming and getting 15fps zoomed out seems very low to me. 

I haven’t put any serious playtime into Zomboid since fall of 2018. Been following the Zomboids weekly and we (a group that plays together) are eager to get back into playing the game regularly. But we decided to stop playing 1.5 years ago knowing that our saves would be lost when the impending animation update landed. Now we are waiting on MP.

I install all the updates and play a little bit to keep up-to-date.

I shared in an earlier post that I am getting WAY lower FPS zoomed out despite not having any significant change in CPU or GPU demand.

Seems like performance got a lot worse, and not better with the new zoom system.

All constructive feedback hopefully from me. I understand this is a beta branch to test things and I’m sharing my experience to hopefully help 🍻

Hello,

I experienced a bug in the latest version, whenever I get into a car and start the engine I start losing health very rapidly, I almost died from it.

I thankfully was able to exit the game, turn on the debug mode and save my character via healing the parts getting damaged to max health (Head and upper torso). I noticed that sometimes the damage stops and is healed to full automatically when I turn off the vehicle (not always though).

My character doesn't suffer actual injuries that appear in the health panel, it appears to be similar to heavy carry weight HP loss.

I would gladly share the logs if that helps, though I have no idea which log would be of interest in this case.

Wonderful work on the game, loving the update so far !

Edit : I don't use mods I think should matter for the issue, but I will attach the list nontheless :

Bedford Falls

Fort Redstone

Midriver

Modtemplate

Overlook

Stonehill Apts

Edited by Lixo
Precision on mods used

44 minutes ago, Lixo said:

Hello,

I experienced a bug in the latest version, whenever I get into a car and start the engine I start losing health very rapidly, I almost died from it.

I thankfully was able to exit the game, turn on the debug mode and save my character via healing the parts getting damaged to max health (Head and upper torso). I noticed that sometimes the damage stops and is healed to full automatically when I turn off the vehicle (not always though).

My character doesn't suffer actual injuries that appear in the health panel, it appears to be similar to heavy carry weight HP loss.

I would gladly share the logs if that helps, though I have no idea which log would be of interest in this case.

Edit : I don't use mods I think should matter for the issue, but I will attach the list nontheless :

Bedford Falls

Fort Redstone

Midriver

Modtemplate

Overlook

Stonehill Apts

I think this is caused by using a save from 41.29 because I had the same thing happen to me and I have none of the same mods as you. I then re-opened the backup and the same thing happened again.

Goods news - Just did a new game with the same mods I run, hopped right into a vehicle and the issue didn't happen again. So, you'll just have to start a new game.

Edited by Max Dickings

Everyone obviously worked hard on this update by sending in their bugs and working with the devs. In return the devs obviously listened and implemented/fixed a-lot of feedback we had. With that being said I think everyone would be very happy with a performance boost in the next update. a minor performance update in the meantime would be <3<3 though

9 hours ago, Max Dickings said:

I think this is caused by using a save from 41.29 because I had the same thing happen to me and I have none of the same mods as you. I then re-opened the backup and the same thing happened again.

Goods news - Just did a new game with the same mods I run, hopped right into a vehicle and the issue didn't happen again. So, you'll just have to start a new game.

Or just keep on going without ever using a car again, I don't really wanna waste months of survival haha

On 3/2/2020 at 8:03 PM, minusthedrifter said:

Rather large bug introduced with this build, building things is now entirely free! The resources are not consumed when you build something, so long as you have the needed material in your inventory you can build the object again and again. 

Confirm - building is for free in most actions.

Only some cases like "Upgrade Wood-Frame to lvl3 Wall" or "lvl3 Doorframe" cost materials.

11 hours ago, Lixo said:

Hello,

Bedford Falls

Fort Redstone

Midriver

Modtemplate

Overlook

Stonehill Apts

Were you inside a building at a time? Such as garage or another car specific enclosed space? In other words, did you have your car running inside? 

3 hours ago, Pandorea said:

Were you inside a building at a time? Such as garage or another car specific enclosed space? In other words, did you have your car running inside? 

It happened both in an outdoors area and inside a parking. What you just made me think about is that it happened both time in a moded location that might be different (IE, plain wooded area) in the base game, maybe the game thinks I am driving into trees when I am actually not ? Though the road there still exists in the base game, so not sure this could explain it.

3 hours ago, Gwenybegood said:

And seriously, i can play Star Citizen with more Fps than PZ...................

Have fun. 

4 hours ago, FatBulldog said:

Confirm - building is for free in most actions.

Only some cases like "Upgrade Wood-Frame to lvl3 Wall" or "lvl3 Doorframe" cost materials.

Yep, fixed in upcoming hotfix. 

15 hours ago, Lixo said:

Hello,

[...]

Yes, sorry. Car fumes being dangerous didn't make its way into the changelog but went in. We'll have it toggled off for the hotfix and balance it out a bit before re-releasing. Was a bit too quick to be added without balancing tests, as it was already a fairly big patch with lots of fixes. 

10 minutes ago, nasKo said:

Have fun. 

Yep, fixed in upcoming hotfix. 

Yes, sorry. Car fumes being dangerous didn't make its way into the changelog but went in. We'll have it toggled off for the hotfix and balance it out a bit before re-releasing. Was a bit too quick to be added without balancing tests, as it was already a fairly big patch with lots of fixes. 

Ah so that's what happened ! Makes sense. So if I just get the car our of said garage it shouldn't drain my health, correct ?

Thank you for the answers, and keep up the wonderful work.

As for balancing it, maybe starting off with very very minimal damages that increase exponentially over time would work better, so that you can get in and out of your garae without much risk, but can't stay in with your car running for a long time.

57 minutes ago, Lixo said:

Ah so that's what happened ! Makes sense. So if I just get the car our of said garage it shouldn't drain my health, correct ?

Thank you for the answers, and keep up the wonderful work.

As for balancing it, maybe starting off with very very minimal damages that increase exponentially over time would work better, so that you can get in and out of your garae without much risk, but can't stay in with your car running for a long time.

Correct, if the car isn't indoors, it should have no effect. Could be that the fumes are currently permanent, though, but that'd be another for the bug box.  

Good notes on balance, too, thanks.

When is the hotfix bound to release?

I really want to build my home, though I don't want to feel like I'm cheating due to carpentry bug. :))

EDIT: 30 minutes after I posted this, the hotfix is out... I guess it really is "Ask and you shall receive"
Great job!

Edited by Cache_Monster

• nasKo unpinned this topic