Severe lack of wandering zombies and hordes(Poll included)

gonomonakak

Do we need wandering "meta hordes" or should we go without  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Do we need wandering "meta hordes"

• I think we should have wandering "meta hordes" for the sake of the late game
    • I prefer how it is now with zombies who dont leave home

I love this game,ive been playing since 2012 and have watched this game grow into a zombie simulator Max Brooks would approve of,but even still this game has one major oversight,and that is that because zombies dont migrate long distances like they should and that creates  a very static and boring world.  This game NEEDS wandering zeds that wander out into the forests and inbetween towns to keep the mid to end game boredom at bay until NPCs can be added. Without roaming groups once youve cleared a few blocks around you, you wont see another zombie ever again no matter how many bullets you waste or how many  helicopters fly by or any other meta event. Making your hard earned walls and barricades pointless as theyre never tested,but if say groups of virtual zombies wandered around the map in the meta game,eventually given enough time and or some bad luck more non local zombies or even full hordes will wander into the areas youve cleared,giving walls purpose again in the process

What im taking about, is that Once you clear an  area few blocks of zed then the heli shows up it can fly by  without attracting new deads, as the area is cleared now and it will stay that .But with long range groups and large hordes having the freedom to roam far and wide all across the map, unless youre base is hidden,or indestructable  with this added to the game you should expect to start seeing hordes roaming the world hunting non stop   places that  are out in the forests,puopably but also 

5 hours ago, Pandorea said:

But they do?.. There are zombies everywhere: in towns, lone households, forests, farm fields...

They are in towns only, or several zombies can spawn in farm houses on world gen once. And when you clear this area you will never see any zombie there. 

The game requires some enemies spawning and invading your base from time to time to keep the survival interest. 

At least simple zombies, but possible something more dangerous. 

Virtual groups of zombies already move around the map semi-randomly (they have a specific sound range).

Forcing zombies to attack regularly would very likely piss people off who do the the right thing and get as far away from civilization as possible. We already get complaints about it being rare / random, as is. 😛

Im not at all suggesting for randomly spawned hordes,that goes against the games spirit what im saying is that migration needs an update,currently it only simulates zeds in like the 4  cells youre closest to and thats it, any further out and nothing happens zed wise.So if i clear most of the cells im in,then the best thing to do after that is  at the 30 day mark or peak pop day,small groups and big hordes spawn in from the very edges of the map and they then randomly roam the metagamefollowing sounds until they find you,you find them an lead em off or fight,migration between small neighborhoods exist as a very well made feature,but time it was upgraded to a feature that supports this vast open world zombie sim

Well thats what ive experienced with zed migration,nothing even hinting at long range "Inter-Townal" zombies like im asking for. Ive never seen a zed wander more than a couple feet without a reason so how come we never see them just wandering from point A to B,wich could be many miles of just wanlking,and yet the only time you see zeds move is with sound events and they really dont do a good enough job moving them around into the woods andd countrysides and or getting them as a horde to follow roads to nearby towns.

Keeping thinking about that challanges I think the more interesting thing will be not just zombie migrations, but some robber attacks in late game.

To keep the game challanging when you already get fortified, it would be great to have some bandit invasions with increasing strength, armed with melee or guns :)

There you will probably need your first aid skills, which are currently useless, since you either 100% healthy and do not require any first aid or bitten and doomed and your first aid pointless.

15 hours ago, gonomonakak said:

Well thats what ive experienced with zed migration,nothing even hinting at long range "Inter-Townal" zombies like im asking for. Ive never seen a zed wander more than a couple feet without a reason so how come we never see them just wandering from point A to B,wich could be many miles of just wanlking,and yet the only time you see zeds move is with sound events and they really dont do a good enough job moving them around into the woods andd countrysides and or getting them as a horde to follow roads to nearby towns.

Because you’re conflating virtual hordes with zombies already spawned in an area.

I’ll ask again: what mode are you playing? Easier modes have less activity.

I'd like to see the option on Apocalypse for a large migrating horde to appear in the knox creek area (near where louisville will be eventually) or possibly from the east part of the map on the muldraugh side of the river to prevent players from barricading the bridges) to spill out and carve a random path of destruction through the map; game needs the option for some new and easy to add horde meta events to keep the mid-late game interesting; otherwise with a rural strategy the game only ends with your own hubris, after all this is meant to be the story on how you died.

I would enjoy the sort of zombie herds we see in The Walking Dead. Huge swathes of the undead roaming around, sweeping through towns and leaving behind a trail of chaos. It would be cool if you could kind of keep track of them too, to see the direction they're going such that when you leave and come back, then go in the same direction they were headed previously, you can catch up to them. This would make having scouts in your group doing regular reconnaissance essential. Particularly with the way the zombies are in this build, it would be simultaneously entertaining and terrifying to have to hunker down in your base, careful to not draw any attention when a herd passes through, waiting for them to take off and then eliminating stragglers.

Just putting this here in case any of you want to re-live this carnage.

Admittedly I haven't done a long playthrough in quite a while, and I only really intend to get back into the game when multiplayer releases, so maybe this is already in place. I don't know. If it isn't, I'd sure like it to be though. 

What you guys just said is exactly what im talking about and what we need so bad for the end game.large randomly wandering hordes that travel the country side and through towns.

Also i play sandbox with sound follow and target memory cranked up all the way to try to simulate wandering and the unending persistence zeds should have but thats a stop gap measure as zed still forget about you and stop walking shorty after you break line of sight when according to max brooks they should keep walking in the last direction they saw or heard something until drawn in another direction by something else.

its really the only thing about zed in this game that cause me issues.because them being attracted to and following eachothers moans is what creates tbe hording effect and the unforgetting, one track memory is what makes them start wandering,always going in tbe direction of the last thing that drew their attention.

On 2/18/2020 at 6:42 PM, EnigmaGrey said:

I’ll ask again: what mode are you playing? Easier modes have less activity.

I've played ~100 hours of B41, Apocalypse & Survivor. Haven't seen a single roaming horde, or even a larger group.

Once I've cleared out the neighborhood, it remains emtpy. Sometimes, 1-2 zombies will respawn, but that's all. It also felt like migration between cells sometimes isn't really working, either.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i tried to have hordes roaming around now and then in my farm, so i started the game with lots of zombies and evenly distributed zombies option, but it turns out they seem to be just filling up spots in the cells and not really roaming around in big groups like i wanted. 

I saw one video on youtube where a guy was held up in cortmen medical. He had destroyed the stairs and was using sheet rope (before the update that make it so zombies could tear down the rope). And he looked outside and a horde of about 1 thousand zombies was walking by his house. It looked like a sea of zombies.

• 2 weeks later...

I see some issues with wandering hordes at the size you're suggesting. They will take a heavy toll on FPS. They'll be an almost non-interactive meta event, meaning the choice will be to be elsewhere or be dead. In that sense zombie hordes will be more like death zones moving around the map rather than something the player can influence.

I would rather see other late-game improvements, like more small and medium scale movement of zeds across the map. More sadistic AI, like introducing zeds that wail and attract others (think involuntary Q-key and creepy noise). A little more challenge on the survival side of things.

Archived