Sneaking skill not working

axesurvivor

So I made a custom sandbox game where I set the xp multiplier to 1000, and got my sneaking skill maxed out quickly, but i have noticed that it made absolutely no difference to the distance that the zombies see me from, I am talking about the proper crouching sneaking. The inconspicuous trait provides a far bigger detection range bonus than a maxed out sneaking skill (not sure it provides any at all). 

https://www.reddit.com/r/projectzomboid/comments/dmm3ew/does_wearing_heavier_clothing_affect_stealth/f52u822/?context=3

Now you have the distance the sound travels but there is still a chance to eliminate the sound by sneaking:

• Normal chance at being heard is 50% per step

• Sneaking chance is 25% at 0 lightfooted skill down to about 8% at master level lightfooted skill.

Edited by bartekrz65

39 minutes ago, bartekrz65 said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/projectzomboid/comments/dmm3ew/does_wearing_heavier_clothing_affect_stealth/f52u822/?context=3

Now you have the distance the sound travels but there is still a chance to eliminate the sound by sneaking:

• Normal chance at being heard is 50% per step

• Sneaking chance is 25% at 0 lightfooted skill down to about 8% at master level lightfooted skill.

I am talking about the sneaking skill, not the  Lightfooted. Sneaking is supposed to make you harder to see, not hear, but I do not notice any difference in detection range.

It seems that sneak skill only makes you less noisy, but i don't know if it's working while sneaking or just as a passive buff. The distance that zombies see you is only affected by

inconspicuous and darkness from what I know, at night with inconspicuous you can walk very closely to them.

• Your Sneak skill: x 1.0 at 0 skill down to x 0.4 at max skill.

22 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

I’ve no idea why sneaking seems to be interpreted as invisiblility to some ...

You become less conspicuous when crouching near objects in addition to being quieter when crouching. 

Really? No idea? In literally every other game this skill means you are harder to see.

Then I think they should remove the sneaking skill or combine it with lightfooted since it does basically what lightfooted does and they go up at the same rate anyway. It is very misleading for new players.

OR  when hovering over each skill add a description of  what exactly it does (preferably with numerical values)

1 hour ago, axesurvivor said:

Really? No idea? In literally every other game this skill means you are harder to see.

Then I think they should remove the sneaking skill or combine it with lightfooted since it does basically what lightfooted does and they go up at the same rate anyway. It is very misleading for new players.

OR  when hovering over each skill add a description of  what exactly it does (preferably with numerical values)

Wouldn’t know, really. Never really used sneak in a game or paid much attention to it. I know in Fallout 1, it did exactly that, but I would have thought it’d be a bit less silly by now.

In a game with a proper line of  sight, it doesn’t make very much sense. Their eyes don’t get worse because you walk slower (less noise) or crouch (smaller target, admittedly). A proper stealth system would take into account clothing (soon) and background (among other things), not just arbitrarily make you difficult to see based on a skill.

Tool tips for the skill panel is a good idea.