Differentiate single attacks and multi attacks

Nesano

Ever since I first used the spear I've noticed a discrepancy with the animations. Two of the animations are a straight stab and the remaining one is a sort of sweeping slice attack. I always thought it was odd how I could stab two zombies standing about a meter apart with the same spear thrust. Hitting two zombies at once with the sweeping attack makes sense, but not with the stab, unless it's the critical thrust and the zombies are standing in a line.

I'm not sure what the best way would be to execute this, as weapon swinging has only ever belonged to the left mouse button, but it's still worth looking into. Picking off stragglers? Get in there with a decisive strike. Trying to keep a group of them back? Go for a sweeping strike that divides the kinetic force of the swing between two targets and doesn't leave you open to getting bitten.

7 minutes ago, Nesano said:

This wouldn't be a "fix," it'd be an all new feature. Have they said they would be adding a new attack button, or are they simply making a change to the current system?

It’s a fix because it’s a bug. It’s not your place to categorize these things even if you believe, deep down, that this is a super special new feature you’re proposing. You shouldn’t be killing zombies far apart from one another with the spear. Obviously, the change is to “not do that” when someone gets to the task on the list...

We don’t need yet another combat button.

12 hours ago, Nesano said:

a sweeping strike that divides the kinetic force of the swing between two targets

I think you're on to something here... Mod wise however... Vanilla's path is pretty much set unless we make a mod with enough players subscribing, like my Inventory Sanity mod that fixed Auto-Walking, and RH4DB4's Save Character settings mods that eventually got rolled into an update. Unfortunately right now, with the frequency of updates, mods get broken frequently... So I get the feeling many of our favorite modders are just waiting until vanilla is more stable so they don't waste their time.

You've got some decent ideas.... but perhaps a better place for them would be Mod Suggestions... might be more well received there...

edit... I mean Mod Ideas/Requests.

Edited by Arsenal26

9 hours ago, Arsenal26 said:

I think you're on to something here... Mod wise however... Vanilla's path is pretty much set unless we make a mod with enough players subscribing

The issue with this suggestion being a mod request is that it would likely require an entirely new key binding, which would call for a pretty hardcore mod. I know mods like ORGM add key bindings, so it's doable, but it still seems like it'd be a pretty heavy one. Vanilla's path is set out pretty well, but it's still in early access and it's the beta version of a big update, so now's the best time to suggest adjustments to the new system.

9 hours ago, Arsenal26 said:

Unfortunately right now, with the frequency of updates, mods get broken frequently... So I get the feeling many of our favorite modders are just waiting until vanilla is more stable so they don't waste their time.

Yeah, when I saw people asking about this new "eyewimbus" thing or whatever in the comments section to some mods I was subscribed to I was pretty amazed to see they were referring to some update that hadn't even been made playable yet. I don't even mod, but I can't imagine making a mod for the beta release of an update.

Funny little side-story, I actually named my save "Eyewimbus" because that's what I said in my head when I first read IWBUMS.

On 2/14/2020 at 12:06 PM, Arsenal26 said:

I think you're on to something here... Mod wise however... Vanilla's path is pretty much set unless we make a mod with enough players subscribing, like my Inventory Sanity mod that fixed Auto-Walking, and RH4DB4's Save Character settings mods that eventually got rolled into an update ...

No, some of the things you fixed or altered were on our private Trello for weeks or months (in the case of custom char saving). The changes were not taken from the mods for either.

A mod being popular has little  to do with what gets worked on or what gets added to the game.

16 hours ago, Nesano said:

.Vanilla's path is set out pretty well, but it's still in early access and it's the beta version of a big update, so now's the best time to suggest adjustments to the new system..

So long as we’re clear that it’s just a suggestion, not a demand; that you’re aware you may hear no and are willing to accept it.

The control scheme is already choked to death, especially on a controller. It’s not practical having a special swipe or thrust broom.. Conceivably it could just be automatic, based on zombie range and skill and therefore wouldn’t need a new button (probably will happen for certain weapons at high level at some point).

Though I don’t think it makes sense: striking multiple zombies with a spear would mean either superficially cutting them or staggering them. You’d be slow doing it and slow to recover. You wouldn’t  be killing them, only unbalancing them. You’d probably risk breaking or dropping the spear, as it’s not a quarter staff (short and thick).

In terms of modding, if you really wanted to try it : The key binding is easy. Figuring out how or if you can drive animation states from Lua would be the problem. 

On 2/15/2020 at 10:50 AM, EnigmaGrey said:

No, some of the things you fixed or altered were on our private Trello for weeks or months (in the case of custom char saving). The changes were not taken from the mods for either.

Of course not...  Vanilla fixes were written in a slightly different way. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

No worries, I read the fine print regarding mods & there being no requirement for credit if mods end up in the game... I don't even care about that.... just the Big Picture, that's all...

And you're absolutely correct... It was about several months before the fix that I first mentioned the issues (albeit insistently on my part) to which you warned me not to be so repetitive... So apologies for that... After I received my warnings I just decided to fix it myself even though I had no idea how to do a mod what-so-ever, luckily for me I had taken some computer classes back in the 7th grade so I wasn't completely lost...  Took a minute, but I managed to fix Auto-Walk to Containers and uploaded my first mod ever. It got hundreds of subscribers per day hitting nearly 2300 before the vanilla fix arrived. And after that fix was in, I re-purposed the mod to fix Auto Walk to Everything Else (light switches and whatnot) and that continued to get subs until the vanilla fix for that came in a few weeks later. My goal was to preserve the "Sanity" of those ~2300 players and my own from going nuts while trying to beta test 41 as the official fix was being worked on.

So Thank you you TIS for the vanilla fix.... Whether the mod influenced the fix or not, it truly doesn't matter...  Back to the point of my earlier post... Modders can sometimes fast track good ideas into reality, and take things in different directions as they may be laid out in the vanilla plan...

Edited by Arsenal26