We need more maneuverability.

Nesano

1 hour ago, Nesano said:

Yeah, I'm dismissing you as a troll at this point, this is ridiculous. At least now the thread will begin to clean itself up.

But surely you can demonstrate your realistic kiting prowess without pausing in some way, even anecdotally or through handy videos found on YouTube? Anything other than just asserting you’re right. The claims are yours to defend, not mine. 

Maybe you could even tell me if your experience is related to the latest build or not, like I asked earlier.

19 hours ago, Nesano said:

Then the months of testing were wrong. This is a zombie survival simulation, not an arcade game where we need to be artificially limited for muh balance.

I love how balancing games has became "gatekeeping" and "not letting people play the way they want" somewhere along the line. Fun times..

After reading this thread for a long while, I still can't figure for the love of me just what you guys find so bad about the movement system. I've even tried out some of the things you guys mention and nope- I don't seem to have any issue.

That's not to say I don't have my complaints; for instance, I'd like that the normal walking speed was juuust a lil' bit faster so I feel less tempted to run around all time. Or that there was some sort of "hold onto the edge" mechanic in case I accidentally walk too close to a ledge and fall; I always found it unrealistic to just fall without trying to hold onto something. But none of these are deal-breakers.

As of the current build, the only reasons I've got myself killed in are:

A) Didn't carefully check a house I was getting into and a Zed blindsided me with a bite (A perfectly fine death that pretty much fits within the zombie genre)

B) Fell of a ledge, broke a leg, had no wood to make a splint and wasn't carrying one (because they're a bit too heavy IMHO) and got caught by Zed

C) Got cocky in a fight and didn't see the Zed coming from behind me

D) Walked right into a horde while running from an alarm

E) Thought I could fight a horde with a shotgun, 9 boxes of ammo and 7 in Firearms (even skill 10 and 25 boxes wouldn't have; guns could use a buff to make them worth the risk of being "Zed dinner bells")

Note, however, that I am playing on Sandbox, but the only thing I changed from vanilla was to make the nights darker and the Zed active only during the day (so the night is "technically" safer, due to lazier zeds, but you now have to deal with being able to SEE them and fight them back with one-handed weapons only because of flashlight), so I'm not sure that would affect on what you're describing.

With all of that in mind, I just can't wrap my head around the problems you guys are having. So it'd be really, really nice if you guys post a video showcasing this problem you all agree the game has. Because I can neither find it nor replicate it, and TBH, this is starting to remind me of that one time during the Darkest Dungeons EA that the Devs fixed a long-standing yet widely-used exploit (that you could 4 heroes of the same class and easily spam the monsters to death) and caused an explosion of people complaining they could no longer play the game and that the devs were catering only to their most hardcore fans by "gatekeeping" the other people out with that change...

9 hours ago, Planet Algol said:

Have you tried playing with the sandbox setting?

If you adjust stuff like zombie toughness and speed you may be able to dial in something that suits your preferred playing style?

Yeah, that's the beauty of Project Zomboid. Any suggestion I post that can be fixed by sandbox settings is intended to give the "default" mode a good setting.

5 hours ago, crossed said:

I love how balancing games has became "gatekeeping" and "not letting people play the way they want" somewhere along the line. Fun times..

It's a pretty sick notion that making suggestions is "gatekeeping." Not sure if I've ever seen multiple people get this bothered over a suggestion thread in my life.

4 hours ago, Blake81 said:

But none of these are deal-breakers.

Even little gripes are worth bringing up. That's what beta testing is for.

4 hours ago, Blake81 said:

I just can't wrap my head around the problems you guys are having.

Probably because they're not game-breaking issues, they're just mechanics that need improving. If this were just some dumb zombie killing arcade game, I wouldn't care, but this game has a lot of attention to detail and seems to care a lot about inching its way towards perfection.

It’s not your version of perfection the game seeks to reach.

So let’s put this to bed: aside from looking at what’s going on with spears and possibly a more hurried “get up” from a fall animation, none of this is considered an issue. It is not practical adding your request as a sandbox option at this time.

On 2/12/2020 at 9:20 PM, Nesano said:

"You couldn't because your character would get tired or your weapons would break before that happened. We're not talking 100-200 swings, we're talking 100-200 zombie kills. There are other mechanics in the game that make it hard for the player to deal with a lot of zombies at once."

What do you mean I couldn't? I did. We implemented unrestricted movement during strafing and everyone in the team was happy about it (build 40 and prior btw, there was NO movement during a swing), I was giving it a play, and then I noticed and was like 'oh shit' and posted a video in the private dev chat of me killing hundreds of zombies by holding backward and hammering the left mouse button, saying 'oh shit we need to sort this'. And we did by putting a small slowdown during the swing.

Player strafe speed = X

Zombie speed = Y

if X is bigger than Y then infinite kiting is possible, and that's a problem, the brief pause is just enough to make it possible for zombies to catch up to you WHILE you are swinging and strafing.

It's not just that its possible, maybe practically you'd stop at 40-50 zombies instead of 200, but that doesn't make the situation better - it's that it turns combat into the same experience every time. Find a horde, get them all following you, back up strafe, wait until the conga line reaches you, swing, swing swing, back back back, swing swing swing. Leave a trail of bodies along the floor and thin out or exterminate the horde with little concern. Get tired or no, this isn't a fun gameplay design and after 8-9 years of designing this game, I'd like to think you'd take our word with some remote level of trust on that.