About floating buildings...

TheVastator

just a curiousity, will this ever be addressed?

Especially in multiplayer, where it's easy to gather a lot of resources, having long wooden highways that let you comfortable move from place to place without having to worry about zeds seem quite a cheap way to make the game easier :)

Well once you enter the building and destroy all stairs leading up to you the game gives you a 99% safe base. 1% if you get stuck up there. There will always be a way for players to make the game easier, unless the devolipers go out of their way to make it really hard and not looking for logic. I like the floating buildings. Most of the time I don't use them but I'm still hoping I will get my gf to start playing the game and I like the idea of having a safe place for her till she learns the game :)

12 hours ago, ZombiesLoveBrainiacs said:

I hope the devs will improve MP in general, not just the technical/animation aspects. For me, SP gameplay is currently simply better/more immersive than MP - and I'm actually more of a MP guy. 

Can you say how would you want mp improved? Main diference for me is no sleeping in mp but I heard you can turn it on in mp (but didin't test it) and sleeping in mp would be hard to put in if players don't sleep at the same time.

On 2/7/2020 at 12:09 AM, LegionDiablo said:

I like the floating buildings. Most of the time I don't use them but I'm still hoping I will get my gf to start playing the game and I like the idea of having a safe place for her till she learns the game :)

That's the thing, you shouldn't be able to use them at all, because how much sense does it make? None. How unfair is it? Very.

Well it is not realistic but as I did say you can have almoust the same efect with just bringing down the stairs in a building. That part is realistic and it gives you almoust the same thing. But if you are looking in how much sense do things make in video games well lets get a list.

This is all build 40 so if something is changed in build 41 you will have to corect me.

How much sense does it make:

1. To be able to plant anything in any season and it will grow?

2. That zombies can destroy metal walls or anything player built but can't brake wooden walls of buildings that are allready in game?
3. How much sense does it make that you can carry up to 50 (I am guessing they use kilograms as it is not specified) without any bag or anything. And I don't mean 1 item of 50 kilograms but you can pack up lots of small items on you and only weight counts.

I could find more but I think the point is there is no need to look for to much realisam in games. If the games ware to realistic they would not be fun. I am not saying that floating buildings should stay or that they should be take out. I'm just saying I like them. 

At to how unfair they are well you will have to explain that a bit more. Most of the time I did play solo or with friends we never did think of them as fair or not. Ok we didin't really use them much but still can't see how they would or would not be fair. As I did say you can have the same effect with just taking out the stairs and if you have enought sheet rope and your building is in a good location you never have to worry again. Only difrence is that this way is people get to pick do they want to use them or not. And in a sandbox game I find haveing more options is better. If you or anyone does not want to use them nobody can force them. If you or anyone uses them but does not like them then they have no self control and need to learn to control themselves insted of asking the devolipers to do it for them by taking options from the game.

There are even planty of places where the ground level is 100% safe and zombies can't enter it if you are not the one that makes the hole to let them in. So is this game 100% realistic my answer is no. But I do find this game more realistic than most of the games I did play (zombie games). 

I'd say it's absolutely not the same. You bring the stairs down in a building: fine, you also need to find first a sledgehammer.

What happens if the building gets surrounded? If you don't have time to escape you're essentially stuck there until the horde goes away. Will you survive? only if you got enough food...maybe.

With the floating buildings, all you need is a hammer, wood and plenty of nails (and they're all easy stuff to find when you play in a server with 4-5 friends) that cooperate).

Then you can start creating floating highways that let you have infinite escape routes, or easily reach other locations (last time we played, our carpenter had build a floating highway that lead from our safe house to the nearest gas station, meaning infinite fuel -thanks to having barricated the station with iron gates- without any kind of effort or difficulty).

So yeah I think they're mostly game breaking and that they shouldn't exist in a game that strives to be realistic. Give them the need to be actually supported by wooden pylons that can be destroyed by zombies, and then they'd be mostly ok.

It's not an option, it's almost a cheat :P

About the 100% safe buildings in which zombies cannot enter: sure, true. But that doesn't mean that you can EXIT safely any time you want...you might end up getting stuck on your own impenetrable fortress and die of starvation.

I agree with OP. In a game that strives for realism like PZ, these "skyforts" are really out of place. Somehow they remind me of Donkey Kong.

There used to be an excellent mod by @blindcoder that would try to prevent such structures from being built. It is called "obey gravity" or something like that; you can find it on steam. Unfortunately it is outdated; it also had some issues with a few large buildings in the game, and offered very limited "physics".

However I really loved the concept and the mod: I can only hope that the devs will take on the issue in future builds.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2020 at 4:29 AM, LegionDiablo said:

3. How much sense does it make that you can carry up to 50 (I am guessing they use kilograms as it is not specified) without any bag or anything. And I don't mean 1 item of 50 kilograms but you can pack up lots of small items on you and only weight counts.

Actually that isn't true at all. Depending on trait choices you can carry about 18 at normal condition without bags or 20 if you're well fed. And this is with the strength traits, so it would only go down from there if you don't take strength traits.

Second, if I remember correctly, carry weight isn't using any real weight measurement. It's more like a combination of weight and size. For instance, something that is light but kind of awkward to carry could have the same "weight" as something that is heavy but smaller and less awkward to carry.

Hey, there is a mod "Realistic Inventory". With this mod you can carry only few items in hands. Very small items goes in pockets.

But if you want too high accuracy and realism, the game will become boring. And I will name it "inventory management simulator".

There is a mod, both for metal walls and for wooden. I would rewrite them from scratch with a more neat game design.
But do you want zombies to destroy everything? Do you want vanilla walls to attract zombies too? How do you imagine that? All zombies will beat their heads against the wall, not paying attention to the player.
I prefer to think of it as the fact that zombies have remnants of memory. And if something seems familiar to them, they don’t touch it.

It's easy to fix by a mod. I did not find exising mod, but idea is simple. Just remember that it will change balance in multiplayer, so there is no reason to start the game in winter in empty world (looted by other players). More likely that it will decrease new players on a server while winter. Old players will also have nothing to do in the winter, so it will also be more convenient for them to wait offline until the winter is over.

Finally, about floating buildings:

There is a mod "Obey Gravity, it's the law!". I'm not sure if it's still working but it should work. Anyway it's not a big deal to rewrite it for build 41, I guess.

Archived