My game freezes and I can't do anything

siva1

Question

Hello! I ask for help. On build 41 my game just started to freeze, I play for 2 minutes and the game freezes and that’s it. This still appeared on 41.27, but after the update it stopped, for a while, and now freezes again. And I noticed that if this happens the camera stops approaching. I tried both reinstalling and launching the 32 bit version, nothing helps. Thanks in advance

5 hours ago, Beard said:

At this point I am personally not sure what else to try. If other games crash as you mentioned I believe it is an actual computer issue, and not PZ itself. So waiting for another release might not fix anything because of that. You could try the switch to Windows 10, which COULD fix it if the new drivers are somewhat more compatible (they might not be at all) or if there was some other issue in the OS that would cause the crashes, as reinstalling would fix that.
It could be a hardware problem as well, in which case reinstalling the OS might not fix anything, so as mentioned it is hard for me personally to say what's next to try as at this point it could be anything if the crashes and issues persist in other games as well, it seems like a computer issue and not an issue with the game itself.

Nevertheless, I will hope that doom and pz have the same drivers that do not allow me to play, and all this will either fix on the release of the test build or this can be fixed by installing a new version of windows ...
Thank you very much for your help, without you I would never have come to such progress.

On 2/9/2020 at 1:16 PM, Beard said:

It could be that the specific save or the game files could get corrupted somehow.
You can try verifying your game files to check for any corruption there:
Steam Library > Right click Project Zomboid > Properties > Local Files > Verify Local Files

As for the save, can you try starting a new save and see if the freezes / crashes still happen frequently on there?

I realized that the problem is not in pz, the problem is in my computer. I bought DOOM yesterday and started playing, and after 10 minutes the game is the same as in pz. If it’s not difficult for you, can you tell me what could be the problem now?

13 hours ago, siva1 said:
I realized that the problem is not in pz, the problem is in my computer. I bought DOOM yesterday and started playing, and after 10 minutes the game is the same as in pz. If it’s not difficult for you, can you tell me what could be the problem now?

It is pretty difficult to tell what exactly might cause it, just because of the sheer number of different hardware configurations and different software. As mentioned it could be an antivirus, which you don't have so that's not the cause. It could be another type of software running in the background causing the slowdown, it could even be driver incompatibility for your graphics card. I am not sure how I would personally proceed when the issues arise in other games as well. I think the first thing would be to make sure there are no background programs that would cause the freezing. Other than that I would probably try to reinstall the graphic driver to check if something is wrong with that. Or see if anything changed before the game started to freeze a week ago.

On 2/18/2020 at 11:38 AM, Beard said:

The list of errors is in the "console.txt" file in "C:\Users\YourUserName\Zomboid"
As for the mods causing issues, it can definitely be the case as mods are not 100% stable. It is always recommended to disable them before trying to fix anything else.

Deleting the lua file really helped, thanks. But in 41 build problems still remain

7 hours ago, Beard said:

It is pretty difficult to tell what exactly might cause it, just because of the sheer number of different hardware configurations and different software. As mentioned it could be an antivirus, which you don't have so that's not the cause. It could be another type of software running in the background causing the slowdown, it could even be driver incompatibility for your graphics card. I am not sure how I would personally proceed when the issues arise in other games as well. I think the first thing would be to make sure there are no background programs that would cause the freezing. Other than that I would probably try to reinstall the graphic driver to check if something is wrong with that. Or see if anything changed before the game started to freeze a week ago.

Well, I reinstalled the graphics driver for my version and nothing has changed. The only thing that changed before the Frisians was a power outage, I don’t remember more. Of the background programs, a browser, steam and discord are running. Or my video card has become too ancient for these games (Wolfenstein did not start for this reason), although most likely even the games would not start ... Maybe pz and doom do not work on windows 7? Maybe you should install version 10?

2 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Power surges can damage computer components; unexpected power outages can also corrupt parts of hardddrives.

The gave works fine on Windows 7. There’s no need to upgrade.

And which components are most at risk of being damaged? And then I’m so that the computer master can not notice the breakdown, and so the circle of damage research narrows

Just now, siva1 said:

And which components are most at risk of being damaged? And then I’m so that the computer master can not notice the breakdown, and so the circle of damage research narrows

Since he’s graphical problems, I’d start at the motherboard or gpu. If multiple programs are affected, then it’s probably not specific to Pz.

But  run a disk check first to check it’s htagb and repair any damaged sectors. Could well be all it is.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/2641432/check-your-hard-disk-for-errors-in-windows-7

if power outages/surges/brownouts are are common, I’d really recommend a filtered ups, if it’s an option. Had to buy one myself.

Can you try to get the game to freeze again? Right after the game freezes, go to C:\Users\YourUserName\Zomboid on your computer.
In that folder, there is a "console.txt" file. Make sure to attach the file to your next message. It will provide us some useful logs from the crash and we can have a look if there are any errors there.

6 hours ago, Beard said:

Can you try to get the game to freeze again? Right after the game freezes, go to C:\Users\YourUserName\Zomboid on your computer.
In that folder, there is a "console.txt" file. Make sure to attach the file to your next message. It will provide us some useful logs from the crash and we can have a look if there are any errors there.

So, thanks for responding to a call for help. I did as you told me. Here are 2 files. 1 The first file is freeze when I tried to save the character’s skill set (another reason for the crash I discovered, and I really didn’t see any errors in this console file). And in the second console file the game itself, and there I already noticed that the error was that some cards were not loaded. Nevertheless, I hope you can help me. I just want to continue to enjoy this game in 41 build

zomboid console crash 1.txt zomboid console crash 2.txt

On 2/12/2020 at 10:28 PM, EnigmaGrey said:

Since he’s graphical problems, I’d start at the motherboard or gpu. If multiple programs are affected, then it’s probably not specific to Pz.

But  run a disk check first to check it’s htagb and repair any damaged sectors. Could well be all it is.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/2641432/check-your-hard-disk-for-errors-in-windows-7

if power outages/surges/brownouts are are common, I’d really recommend a filtered ups, if it’s an option. Had to buy one myself.

Well then, I checked the disk, no problems were found or fixed. PZ still crashes. I'm going to check the computer elements on the weekend, I hope at least there will be something indicating the cause / solution of the problem ...

On 2/27/2020 at 3:08 PM, Beard said:

At this point I am personally not sure what else to try. If other games crash as you mentioned I believe it is an actual computer issue, and not PZ itself. So waiting for another release might not fix anything because of that. You could try the switch to Windows 10, which COULD fix it if the new drivers are somewhat more compatible (they might not be at all) or if there was some other issue in the OS that would cause the crashes, as reinstalling would fix that.
It could be a hardware problem as well, in which case reinstalling the OS might not fix anything, so as mentioned it is hard for me personally to say what's next to try as at this point it could be anything if the crashes and issues persist in other games as well, it seems like a computer issue and not an issue with the game itself.

Well, I was convinced that I had some problems with downloading files and installing. After a new update, I decided to try playing, but nothing was fixed, I uninstalled and reinstalled the mods (in general, everything that sometimes helped before) and accidentally downloaded the old save, and a burned-out house suddenly appeared, although before that it was whole. After that, everything again hung up and I reinstalled the test build. And unexpectedly for me there all the textures except the character were from 40 builds. Maybe there is a solution to this?

upd:

And I also decided to completely reinstall the zomboid with deleting the file of the same name, and after setting up the screen, the game simply disappeared. That is, the music from the menu was played and in the task manager was also a project zombie? but there was no tab
And I also tried to play with the mod for translation, and everything began to work very crookedly, and the textures from the old build do not miss

Archived