My game freezes and I can't do anything

siva1

Question

Hello! I ask for help. On build 41 my game just started to freeze, I play for 2 minutes and the game freezes and that’s it. This still appeared on 41.27, but after the update it stopped, for a while, and now freezes again. And I noticed that if this happens the camera stops approaching. I tried both reinstalling and launching the 32 bit version, nothing helps. Thanks in advance

22 hours ago, siva1 said:
So, thanks for responding to a call for help. I did as you told me. Here are 2 files. 1 The first file is freeze when I tried to save the character’s skill set (another reason for the crash I discovered, and I really didn’t see any errors in this console file). And in the second console file the game itself, and there I already noticed that the error was that some cards were not loaded. Nevertheless, I hope you can help me. I just want to continue to enjoy this game in 41 build

zomboid console crash 1.txt 81.27 kB · 1 download zomboid console crash 2.txt 113 kB · 2 downloads

Hmm, not much to go about in there as you said as there are no errors, usually when the console cuts off like this it is usually a graphics card issue (mostly intel related)
Could you tell us what your graphics card is specifically? And how much RAM you have as well.

Also, can you go to "Steam\steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid" and upload the "hs_err_pid" file from there? There might be multiple there, just upload the latest three ones if possible.

On 2/18/2020 at 11:38 AM, Beard said:

The list of errors is in the "console.txt" file in "C:\Users\YourUserName\Zomboid"
As for the mods causing issues, it can definitely be the case as mods are not 100% stable. It is always recommended to disable them before trying to fix anything else.

Well, the last 5 days I tried to fix everything. And somehow 2 days ago I managed to play without crashes. I still did not understand how it happened, but I reinstalled the game and deleted all the mods, and the game worked. After that, the computer was again abruptly turned off and again nothing worked. The last 2 days I tried to repeat all these actions: reinstalling the game, installing and removing mods, but this did not work anymore.
Do you know what problems may be with the possible installation of pz?

The problems could also be in the whole "Zomboid" folder in "C:\Users\YourUserName\Zomboid".
This folder does not get deleted even if you uninstall the game, it contains saves and other game settings. You can try moving / deleting it and reinstalling the game again to see if it works.

4 hours ago, Beard said:

Hmm, not much to go about in there as you said as there are no errors, usually when the console cuts off like this it is usually a graphics card issue (mostly intel related)
Could you tell us what your graphics card is specifically? And how much RAM you have as well.

Also, can you go to "Steam\steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid" and upload the "hs_err_pid" file from there? There might be multiple there, just upload the latest three ones if possible.

I have rather weak computer components, but of course, I'm most likely mistaken, but maybe if there were problems with the video card, then 41 builds would not work at all, but I played about 30 hours on it in general. But I don’t know much about this, so I hope that you will help me. And there were two hs_err_ files, here they are below, along with the characteristics of my computer

videocard.png

hs_err_pid1824.log hs_err_pid8944.log

3 hours ago, Beard said:

The problems could also be in the whole "Zomboid" folder in "C:\Users\YourUserName\Zomboid".
This folder does not get deleted even if you uninstall the game, it contains saves and other game settings. You can try moving / deleting it and reinstalling the game again to see if it works.

I deleted the zomboid file, but nothing helped, everything crashes the same way. And I noticed that apparently the departure speed depends on the point of appearance, for example, in the Rosewood for the policeman, if I appear in the police station, the game hangs an instant after the start of the movement

On 2/12/2020 at 10:28 PM, EnigmaGrey said:

Since he’s graphical problems, I’d start at the motherboard or gpu. If multiple programs are affected, then it’s probably not specific to Pz.

But  run a disk check first to check it’s htagb and repair any damaged sectors. Could well be all it is.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/2641432/check-your-hard-disk-for-errors-in-windows-7

if power outages/surges/brownouts are are common, I’d really recommend a filtered ups, if it’s an option. Had to buy one myself.

What other options are there for causing the problem other than damaged computer components?

9 hours ago, Beard said:

And can the Windows version affect these crashes? And then I found it in the console
LOG  : General, 1582564279527> WARNING: Found unknown Windows version: Windows 7

Weirdly enough there isn't much to go about in the err_pid either, and from the looks of it you do have an up to date graphics card driver. Can I ask if you have any background programs running that could take the video memory of the graphics card? Video rendering in ther background for example.
Also, if you have any security programs running, I know that certain antivirus software would cause issues for the game., you can try adding an exception to them for the Zomboid folder found in "C:\Users\YourUserName\"

1 hour ago, Beard said:

Weirdly enough there isn't much to go about in the err_pid either, and from the looks of it you do have an up to date graphics card driver. Can I ask if you have any background programs running that could take the video memory of the graphics card? Video rendering in ther background for example.
Also, if you have any security programs running, I know that certain antivirus software would cause issues for the game., you can try adding an exception to them for the Zomboid folder found in "C:\Users\YourUserName\"

Honestly, I don’t even need an antivirus, of course it's stupid. But I never download anything from unofficial sources and I did not see the need to install an antivirus. And I do not know what programs can occupy video memory. I specifically went into the game to measure the video memory consumption, and with active actions it generated a maximum of 60% of video memory use (screenshot below). And that is strange, but now nothing hung up for me, but the approximation still does not work, so I'm afraid the problem has not really been resolved. And thank you for your help, you have already helped incredibly much.

Untitled.thumb.png.07d2525c13ac6bf2f165bdcc54dc006a.png

Mainly my concern is the logs suggest there’s only 100 mb available after loading despite 1200 mb being present on the GPU. The game will then load additional textures as they’re needed. That could explain why trying to draw a texture crashes it, as in the second err file.

If this is right, then reducing memory intensive options would likely help: turn off off screen GUI rendering, lower the resolution, enable texture compression and restart the application.

See if it runs longer without crashing.

35 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Mainly my concern is the logs suggest there’s only 100 mb available after loading despite 1200 mb being present on the GPU. The game will then load additional textures as they’re needed. That could explain why trying to draw a texture crashes it, as in the second err file.

If this is right, then reducing memory intensive options would likely help: turn off off screen GUI rendering, lower the resolution, enable texture compression and restart the application.

See if it runs longer without crashing.

I’ll definitely try it, but what bothers me the most is that now the game suddenly stopped crashing, at the time of the video memory test, my game didn’t crash and I can still play on this save. And I want to understand what it depends on, and yet, with this preservation, the approximation still doesn’t work for me, maybe this is somehow connected.And I noticed another problem, the window of things nearby does not disappear, it is constantly open

I found out something else. Apparently restarting the computer somehow affects these freezes. I wrote that yesterday I was able to play without crashes, and today after the reboot again began to fly. At first, I did not attach any importance to this, but now I realized that it was after my electricity was cut off for a while after that that freezes started. Do you know what might be the reason for all this?I found out something else. Apparently restarting the computer somehow affects these freezes. I wrote that yesterday I was able to play without crashes, and today after the reboot again began to fly. At first, I did not attach any importance to this, but now I realized that it was after my electricity was cut off for a while after that that freezes started. Do you know what might be the reason for all this?

2 hours ago, siva1 said:

I found out something else. Apparently restarting the computer somehow affects these freezes. I wrote that yesterday I was able to play without crashes, and today after the reboot again began to fly. At first, I did not attach any importance to this, but now I realized that it was after my electricity was cut off for a while after that that freezes started. Do you know what might be the reason for all this?I found out something else. Apparently restarting the computer somehow affects these freezes. I wrote that yesterday I was able to play without crashes, and today after the reboot again began to fly. At first, I did not attach any importance to this, but now I realized that it was after my electricity was cut off for a while after that that freezes started. Do you know what might be the reason for all this?

It could be that the specific save or the game files could get corrupted somehow.
You can try verifying your game files to check for any corruption there:
Steam Library > Right click Project Zomboid > Properties > Local Files > Verify Local Files

As for the save, can you try starting a new save and see if the freezes / crashes still happen frequently on there?

To fix the menu not appearing, you have to go to "C:\Users\YourUserName\Zomboid" and delete the "lua" folder there. That should fix it.

As for the games crashing, there can really be a lot of things that could cause that. From hardware issues all the way to software issues, maybe a problem with your current WIndows installation, maybe the specific drivers for your Windows version, it could be your hardware components messing up too. But it it pretty difficult to try and explain what exactly can be wrong with it without having a look at the computer ourselves, and even then I believe it would be hard to see whats wrong with it. If other games crash as well I would probably search if any of your specific hardware has any other users reporting the similar issues, maybe even ask someone local who can check the components itself? Hard to say really as many things can go wrong with computers.

6 hours ago, Beard said:

It could be that the specific save or the game files could get corrupted somehow.
You can try verifying your game files to check for any corruption there:
Steam Library > Right click Project Zomboid > Properties > Local Files > Verify Local Files

As for the save, can you try starting a new save and see if the freezes / crashes still happen frequently on there?

I have repeatedly checked the integrity of the files, but steam says that everything is in order. I am trying to start a new save, but that does not help. I reinstalled a couple of mods and the time without freeezes increased, but then again freeze. I do not know what to do

1 hour ago, Beard said:

To fix the menu not appearing, you have to go to "C:\Users\YourUserName\Zomboid" and delete the "lua" folder there. That should fix it.

As for the games crashing, there can really be a lot of things that could cause that. From hardware issues all the way to software issues, maybe a problem with your current WIndows installation, maybe the specific drivers for your Windows version, it could be your hardware components messing up too. But it it pretty difficult to try and explain what exactly can be wrong with it without having a look at the computer ourselves, and even then I believe it would be hard to see whats wrong with it. If other games crash as well I would probably search if any of your specific hardware has any other users reporting the similar issues, maybe even ask someone local who can check the components itself? Hard to say really as many things can go wrong with computers.

And can there be any problems with the installation? I decided to remove all the mods altogether and try to play like that, and what an amazing game earned without crashes. And I heard that the modification of the superb survivors can cause a lot of mistakes, and I played before with this mod, maybe it is the reason for all this?

On 2/24/2020 at 11:04 AM, Beard said:

So is it for me to install 10 windows or wait for the release of the test build, or are there any other solutions?

At this point I am personally not sure what else to try. If other games crash as you mentioned I believe it is an actual computer issue, and not PZ itself. So waiting for another release might not fix anything because of that. You could try the switch to Windows 10, which COULD fix it if the new drivers are somewhat more compatible (they might not be at all) or if there was some other issue in the OS that would cause the crashes, as reinstalling would fix that.
It could be a hardware problem as well, in which case reinstalling the OS might not fix anything, so as mentioned it is hard for me personally to say what's next to try as at this point it could be anything if the crashes and issues persist in other games as well, it seems like a computer issue and not an issue with the game itself.

20 hours ago, siva1 said:
I have repeatedly checked the integrity of the files, but steam says that everything is in order. I am trying to start a new save, but that does not help. I reinstalled a couple of mods and the time without freeezes increased, but then again freeze. I do not know what to do

Well, have you tried a new save without any MODS? 

The list of errors is in the "console.txt" file in "C:\Users\YourUserName\Zomboid"
As for the mods causing issues, it can definitely be the case as mods are not 100% stable. It is always recommended to disable them before trying to fix anything else.

2 hours ago, Pandorea said:

Well, have you tried a new save without any MODS? 

Of course I tried, just at one moment I reinstalled the mod one, because it was installed the first time, and suddenly there was a game without crashes, and I decided to try again, but in vain

Archived