Best Places to Start in The Base Game?

ZAMNPlayerD

So, these days, we got four towns to start in on the map. What is your favorite place to spawn and why?

Personally, I love Muldraugh because it has several warehouses for all your hardware needs, including one that's pretty easy to find next to The Highway. On top of wilderness being easy to find (just move through the north past the turn in the main highway.) Furthermore, that highway also has various other goodies in the stores next to it, like a storage unit, a police station, a few restaurants, etc.

But what are your favorite places?

21 hours ago, aquelarrefox said:

i like rosewood, a esay path to the rural zone and their depots, than you are in the center to go mccoy or riverside

I've played Rosewood, like, once or twice, and I kind of screwed myself by trying to explore the prison too early. I couldn't even sleep in there because it was such a hot zone.

It really depends on your play style. Things like how much danger do you want, how much patience you have for travelling, do you like setting up in town or out in the countryside, do a lot of building..

I like Rosewood for accessibility to other interesting locations, but not so much for setting up a base. If the roof on the Fire Department wasn't so buggy I'd like it a lot more. Then again, a lot of roofs aren't finished and you'll just fall through them without any way to see that you would.

I think Riverside has some of the best long term safe houses to use, but it is a long drive with a lot of turns to remember to most all other places.

Westpoint can be more dangerous than the others in my experiences, which keeps you on your toes a bit more, and has good accessibility to near by resources, but is perhaps a little less interesting safe house wise, although there are some good ones.

Muldraugh is good for easy of access not only for itself, but to other locations thanks to the highway, but seems to have the least amount of food to gather.

5 hours ago, BoogieMan said:

It really depends on your play style. Things like how much danger do you want, how much patience you have for travelling, do you like setting up in town or out in the countryside, do a lot of building..

I like Rosewood for accessibility to other interesting locations, but not so much for setting up a base. If the roof on the Fire Department wasn't so buggy I'd like it a lot more. Then again, a lot of roofs aren't finished and you'll just fall through them without any way to see that you would.

I think Riverside has some of the best long term safe houses to use, but it is a long drive with a lot of turns to remember to most all other places.

Westpoint can be more dangerous than the others in my experiences, which keeps you on your toes a bit more, and has good accessibility to near by resources, but is perhaps a little less interesting safe house wise, although there are some good ones.

Muldraugh is good for easy of access not only for itself, but to other locations thanks to the highway, but seems to have the least amount of food to gather.

Dude that's actually pretty helpful for a guide. :D I'm a Muld Man, because of all the hardware, but I'll keep those in mind.

I really like West Point. If you move in to the GigaMart you're enough away from the densely populated buildings that you don't get the worst hordes, there's entrances on very different sides of the building if you do get wanderers, you're less than a block from a Spiffos, a pharmacy, another grocery, a hardware store, a gun store, and the post office (the back room of the post office has so many books and magazines.) It's a touchy area if you're not comfortable with fighting or sneaking, but once you can manage zombies reasonably well it's incredibly wealthy. By the end of the first week I had more than 80 units of frozen food, 40% of the books and every tool you could want other than a sledgehammer. The sledgehammer, generator and backup generator came from the storage units just a couple blocks away. 

Once you get the sledgehammer that Gigamart really starts to shine. It has a second floor office that's accessible from the loading dock in the back portion of the store, so you can pull inside and unload your vehicle in peace. From the office on the second floor, you can use the sledgehammer to break out onto the roof of the loading dock, and from there build stairs onto the roof of the second floor where you have plenty of space for a completely secure garden. The roof is totally flat so you don't get the soft spots you fall through like on sloped roofs. Even when zombies see you, their pathing can't handle the route to you, so they just sit around outside being sad. For extra security, you can barricade the stairs and put in rope ladders from the office down onto the grocery store floor, so even if zombies did break into the ground floor of the store they wouldn't be able to get to you. I've never needed even that much security, though. You're well out of sight most of the time you're inside, the fridges are naturally placed in a place that the noise of them doesn't reach outside to draw attention, and you're only outside and visible for as long as it takes to hop out of your truck, open the garage door and drive inside.

3 hours ago, MrHrulgin said:

I really like West Point. If you move in to the GigaMart you're enough away from the densely populated buildings that you don't get the worst hordes, there's entrances on very different sides of the building if you do get wanderers, you're less than a block from a Spiffos, a pharmacy, another grocery, a hardware store, a gun store, and the post office (the back room of the post office has so many books and magazines.) It's a touchy area if you're not comfortable with fighting or sneaking, but once you can manage zombies reasonably well it's incredibly wealthy. By the end of the first week I had more than 80 units of frozen food, 40% of the books and every tool you could want other than a sledgehammer. The sledgehammer, generator and backup generator came from the storage units just a couple blocks away. 

Once you get the sledgehammer that Gigamart really starts to shine. It has a second floor office that's accessible from the loading dock in the back portion of the store, so you can pull inside and unload your vehicle in peace. From the office on the second floor, you can use the sledgehammer to break out onto the roof of the loading dock, and from there build stairs onto the roof of the second floor where you have plenty of space for a completely secure garden. The roof is totally flat so you don't get the soft spots you fall through like on sloped roofs. Even when zombies see you, their pathing can't handle the route to you, so they just sit around outside being sad. For extra security, you can barricade the stairs and put in rope ladders from the office down onto the grocery store floor, so even if zombies did break into the ground floor of the store they wouldn't be able to get to you. I've never needed even that much security, though. You're well out of sight most of the time you're inside, the fridges are naturally placed in a place that the noise of them doesn't reach outside to draw attention, and you're only outside and visible for as long as it takes to hop out of your truck, open the garage door and drive inside.

Dude you really thought this out. :0

But sometimes, there are hordes right in front of the store; which can spell doom for this strat. Besides, I'm more of a "hide out in the forests and build up my own fort" kind of guy.

Hordes can be hard, but I've had good luck pulling them down and around behind the motel. There's not much back there between the office building, the motel and the construction site, and the long buildings and tall fences give a lot of chances to break sightlines if there are more than you can fight. You're generally going to need to pull zombies out of that intersection by the motel & food mart anyway, because you want to hit the gigamart and the food store in the first day to preserve the most fresh food by dumping it into freezers. You don't need a lot of carry capacity or to totally clear the area because you're not actually hauling it all out of the store the first day, you're just putting it into the freezers to keep it from spoiling. Done quickly enough you can even preserve the baked goods and meat in the unrefrigerated cases for long enough to eat most of it while it's still fresh. Done well you aren't going to be eating shelf-stable food until you're already weeks into the game.

Building your own base is cool. I'll probably try a wilderness run once wildlife have been added; there's not really enough out there for my tastes just yet.

10 hours ago, MrHrulgin said:

I've never tried the gigamart there, but that sounds good, and very similar to what I do at the hardware store/food mart and the two apartments above them.

I equip the east apartment to be the living space, and the west one for storage and farming. You can jump out of the window of the west apartment and be on a flat roof that is good for farming once you lug some dirt up there, and is accessible without a sledgehammer. Once I find a sledge, I usually make a door. Sometimes I just barricade the place and deal with the danger, other times I get a bunch of cars to block access to the part of the block, there are a lot of small chokepoints that make it easy. It's the safehouse I've used the most.

I do like rosewood since there is lesser zombie population and  since there are good places outside of the town where I tend to stay at and call home.

West point is another interesting place to start off but I usually just stay at a safe locations usually the 3 big houses with fireplaces  near the river.

On 2/1/2020 at 2:05 PM, BoogieMan said:

Just logged into the forum for the first time in 4 years, and this is a very helpful post. Looks like I will attempt Rosewood I think. Id like to do something besides Muldraugh but don't want it to be too crazy dangerous and I don't want it to be too confusing to live in, so that narrows it to Rosewood. 

• 2 weeks later...

Riverside; I always seem to spawn in the west side of town; often in the bar.  There seems to be always keys to a vehicle outside it or the general store's parking lot next door. The close proximity of a gas station, a vehicle, large stashes of non perishable food, backpacks at the school and firearms at the police station makes it a great starting location. The picket fence neighbourhoods allow even a level 0 Strength character on Apocalypse to thin the hordes out for tool/weapon looting in garages.  I usually use this starting location to gather some basic supplies and drive out to a remote rural area to wait out the helicopter meta.

I prefer random spawn on a farm somewhere, so it's not easy to figure out where it is.

Sadly, it's not possible without mods.

But I think this is more fun. Decisions do not depend on the map, but on the distance, the availability of a car and gasoline, etc. Often you have to get to the next location on foot. You also have to save food and other resources, spend the night in different places.

On 2/25/2020 at 4:01 AM, Maris said:

I prefer random spawn on a farm somewhere, so it's not easy to figure out where it is.

Sadly, it's not possible without mods.

But I think this is more fun. Decisions do not depend on the map, but on the distance, the availability of a car and gasoline, etc. Often you have to get to the next location on foot. You also have to save food and other resources, spend the night in different places.

I feel like truly random spawns should be a thing; Imagine waking up in The Rosewood Prison or The West Point Commercial Area.

Archived