Jobs and Traits suggestion master list

NaomiColt

In advance: I DID search the forum to check if anyone had done this before, and didn't find anything. Sorry if my google-fu failed, there is like a decade of threads to look through.

I thought maybe we could compile ideas for new jobs and traits in one thread? Old scattered ideas and new ones.

I got some, not sure if they are good:

Jobs:

- Tailor

+2 Tailoring

+1 Maintenance

[Patcher] Produces more cloth, denim and leather scraps when harvesting clothes. Spends less thread per use.

- Mailman

+1 Sprinting

+1 Nimble

+1 Fitness

[Neighborhood Knowledge] Greater chance of finding annotated maps and more useful items found on mailboxes.

- Biker

+1 Mechanics

+1 Short Blunt

+1 Short Blade

Maybe some buff related to motorcycles if/when those are implemented.

There's a biker bar in southern Muldraugh, could be one of the spawn points.

- Gravedigger (as in cemetery worker)

+1 Strength

+1 Long Blunt (Because shovels)

[Almost one of us] Harder for zombies to notice. Less bothered by corpses around the house.

- Shock Police

+2 Short Blunt 

+1 Long Blunt

[Guard] Helps the player to avoid being scratched when a blunt weapon is equipped. (As the old Guard skill)

[Shock] Greater chance of knocking down a zombie when pushing.

- Traceur

+2 Nimble

+2 Sprinting

[Parkour] Faster climb and jump speed over walls, windows and fences. Diminished chance to get hurt when falling.

- Coast Guard Diver

+1 Fitness

+1 Fishing

+1 Spear

- Plumber

+1 Electrical

+1 Mechanics

+1 Carpentry

+1 Maintenance

Traits: 

- Easy Eater (-2)

Reduced or negates mood penalties from eating unappetizing food (Dog Food, Insects, Rat Meat, etc).

- Researcher (-2)

Receives bigger multipliers from reading skill books. 

- Medieval Faire Enthusiast (-6)

+1 Bonus to Long Blade, Long Blunt and Spear

- Zombie Anatomist (-3)

Higher first-aid skill grants more accuracy with bladed weapons. Using bladed weapons increases first-aid skill.

- Bookworm (-1)

Reading books, magazines, newspapers and comics reduce stress, unhappiness and/or boredom even more.

- Green Thumb (-4)

Better harvests when farming or foraging.

- Getaway Driver (-2)

Vehicles make less sound. Enter and exit cars faster. Open trunk faster.

- Hylophobia(+3)

Gets panicky in wooded or rural areas ( and wherever you can forage).

- Gremlins (+2)

Whenever using an electrical device, there's a chance of a loud sound happening because of a malfunction. Chance of stoves burning up and engines not working increased. 

- Mysophobia (+4)

Gets panicked whenever body and/or clothes are dirty. Gets stressed whenever near piles of dead bodies or lots of blood.

- Crippled Leg (+10)

Speed permanently reduced. Running is more tiresome than usual. Greater chance to break legs.

- Fussy (+3)

Gain unhappiness and boredom whever eating most unprepared food (like eating a whole cabbage or onion, or eating soup out of a can).

- Astraphobia (+2)

Panics mildly when it rains or snows, panics greatly when there's fog or a storm.

- Eye of the Storm (+7)

Sadistic AI events happen much more frequently around the player. Helicopter events last longer (and are more frequent if multiple helicopter events are enabled).

I'm going to stop or I'll go forever here. Hope some of these are passable, at least.

Edited by NaomiColt

These are all great ideas.

You should share these ideas on the "More Traits" mod page.

Link: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1299328280&searchtext=more+traits

Some of the traits you suggested like "Getaway Driver" are already added by that mod as "Expert driver - Cars drive faster, quieter and more efficiently" and "Crippled Leg"  has a similar trait in "Amputee - you can't equip any item in your off hand". It also adds the trait "Martial Arts - shoves deal a small amount of damage scaling with small blunt skill".

He maybe able to make some of your traits a reality.

Edited by leon2356

I'd like to suggest some traits.

Positive Traits:

-Psychopath/Slasher (Increases accuracy with knives and greatly reduced chances of knives getting stuck.) (-6)

-Martial Artist/Brawler (Allows your shove to do actual damage and even kill zombies wholesale.) (-12)

-Repairman (Increases durability restored from all repairs and may randomly stop repairs from getting more ineffective.) (-14)

-Regenerative (Increases natural healing speed, makes it easier to ward off zombification for longer) (-14)

Negative Traits:

-Klutz (Increases the chance of tripping while running, and would increase chances of injury from doing so) (+8)

-Self-Destructive (Health declines if you become sad, can actually cause death.) (+10, doubles with depressive)

-Depressive (Randomly becomes sad, makes it harder to restore relative happiness) (+10, doubles with self-destructive)

-Hoarder (Mood declines if you aren't at carrying capacity.) (+6)

Edited by ZAMNPlayerD

Oh, I forgot to take a look at Steam, thanks leon. :)

Still, I think it would be nice if we had more traits and jobs in the base game.

ZAMN, I was going to say that Martial Artist wouldn't match the game's mood, but then I remembered Morgan from the Walking Dead. :p

I like your psychological negative traits, though I think they should give a bit less points.

Here is a few more.

Libarian - Job: -5

Sneak: +1

Lightfooted: +2

Nimble: +1

(Book lover: lose boredom, stress and unhappiness when reading skill books and magazines.)

Botanist - Job: -2

Forage: +2

(Unknown Name: Chance to gain a random forageable food item when walking over any grass or dirt tile. item scales with your forage skill (at level 2 you can get a barry, bluebarry, blackbarry, violets, grape leaves or a worm. With more unlocked at higher skill levels).

PTSD: +6

Gunshots cause stacking panic and you gain an increased chance of having a nightmare at night.

Packrat: -4

Items at or under 1 LB weight half as much.

Bloodlust: -3

Slowly regenerate happiness when covered in blood. Opposite to Hemophobic.

Masochist: -8

When injured negate all pain and gain a small amount of happiness.

Delusions: +4

Experience hallucinations at random. gain anxiety and stress from these events.

See ghost zombies through walls. Hear whispers and growls from nowhere, have fake zombies try to grab you from behind. and see fake hostile npcs. etc.

(Ghost zombies used to be in the game in a SUPER early build).

Alzheimer's:  +10

Slowly lose xp in skills you don't use within 24 hours. And every hour after that, stopping when you use said skill and resetting the timer.

Edited by leon2356

I feel like some existing occupations could use some better skills such as

- Police officer needing some small blunt skills since police officers would have a melee weapon called a baton/ nightstick

- Park Ranger could use some firearm experience since that park rangers in the USA and Canada have used to kill an animal that can be a threat to camp grounds.

- Veteran could use small blade skills since military have used a combat knife as a type of melee weapons.

Some ideas for occupations are

- Prison Guard/ Corrections officer

reloading and Accuracy skills

- Paramedic 

First aid skills

-  Exterminator 

Trapping skills

Traits

- Gun enthusiast (Positive Trait) 

having some skills to use some firearms reloading and accuracy skill.

3 hours ago, NaomiColt said:

Oh, I forgot to take a look at Steam, thanks leon. :)

Still, I think it would be nice if we had more traits and jobs in the base game.

ZAMN, I was going to say that Martial Artist wouldn't match the game's mood, but then I remembered Morgan from the Walking Dead. 😛

I like your psychological negative traits, though I think they should give a bit less points.

The idea is that if someone were to take both Depressive and Self-Destructive, they would have 40 free points at the cost of a character that could spiral into death by sadness at any time and sometimes without warning.

Hoarder is only six points because it requires you to be at or over carrying capacity to avoid a slow decline in happiness/mood.