bicycles !!

Zeantra

• 4 weeks later...

The option for bicycles would be great for stealthy scouting, and as an efficient way to exercise Obese characters.  Perhaps a failure rate when your character is suffering from Extreme Panic that could cause your character to crash/fall down off the bicycle to prevent players from abusing it to herd hordes?

Edited by Ravenim
Wrong wording.

• 4 months later...

I agree with this, I'd want a bicycle for my character to ride around on.  It could use a combination of the mechanic and metalworking skills. You could find an empty bicycle frame, gears, handlebars, tires etc, in sheds and other places and put them together using the wrench and screwdriver.

Chance to fall over while riding in grass or gravel.

It could be setup the same way you drive a vehicle, except Have it use your strength to go faster, stamina to ride farther and it could slowly raise your fitness skill.

If you can't find, or don't want to use a car, it would let you get around "slightly" faster than walking or jogging.

Edited by Grelko

Also chance of falling off could be bound to your athletic skills "as overall fitness" so better the skill lower the chance to fall off. To avoid situation when fitness instructor will fall from bike on first ride

Edited by pzfreak
spelling

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a little late to this idea. But.

I like the options said above.

I think that in terms of weight a normal bicycle would be at 6 when fully assembled. 3 for the frame, 1 for each tire, and 1 in total for all the random gears and breaks. having light, normal and heavy frames. light weighs less and can go faster but isn't very durable so having too much weight or hitting too many things will break it. normal will be able to hold a normal player with a full inv and maybe a bit more before it starts to get strained and is not going to break from hitting something unless you go fast. heavy being extremely durable and can a lot of weight on it and hit quite a few things without breaking but would be slower. have accessories like bike racks and baskets/bags for them. have it so back racks can have either containers that are made for bikes on them or have bags you put on them. be able to hood flashlights and small hand mirrors to them.

possible add small motors onto them as well (which could be a foundation for motorcycles).

I came here to ask for bikes to, great idea! Please add bikes. Maybe add rusty bike chain if left in rain so they can randomly break if rusty enough! Also maybe bike pegs so you can have a friend on the back of the bike.

Edited by Hobglob
idea

Oh my gosh!!! I think this idea is excellent! 🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩

I was once a huuuuge bicycle fan and organized bike rides along my city. We went together through different parts of my town and went through different types of terrain. 

If it's about the game, you could totally do that in real life: going around a large mob ringing your bell to lure them where you're going. But here's the catch: You're going much faster than running, so you have to be SUPER careful of not crashing with your surroundings. You need to be super aware of your environment. If you crash with a tree you WILL fall and get hurt.

Also, it's pretty cool that you can add lots of stuff to bikes-- bells, horns, radios, dynamos, baskets, racks, bags, bottle holders, lights... etc. 

The only thing with them is that even though you don't need gas, you need to replace your tires and your brakes relatively often. Brakes wear off when you don't let the bike lose its speed alone and press the brakes when it's going too fast. Frames resist pretty much anything, but the wheels are the ones that receive all the damage when you crash. Tires get damaged or flat when you ride your bike on an improper terrain, or ride over glass, nails and other stuff.

As far as I know, it's just as how they did it with the types of cars in the game. There are four main types of bicycles in real life that you can find mostly anywhere, and that don't fall into the category of the eccentric: 

1. Cruise Bikes: They look pretty, but in practice they're kinda heavy and slow. They're average in terms of weight capacity and resistance. Best for short, slow trips and flat terrain.
  2. Road Bikes: Lightweight and really fast. They require little effort to reach high speeds, but have the most fragile parts (especially the TIRES, they're the thin type). Not very suitable for rough terrain, and you can't carry much on them.
  3. Mountain Bikes: Sturdy, decent speed and weight capacity, but also heavy, which requires more strength and effort to ride. Excellent for all types of terrain, except for loose sand.
  4. Hybrid: It's a mix between a road and a mountain bike. It's designed specifically for urban environments and commuters.
  5. EXTRA - The Fixie: It's a road bike, but this one is special because it doesn't need brakes at all... you just stop by pedalling in reverse. 

Although, when I mention "weight capacity" the most that a bike can carry without damaging its tires is more or less like a single, but full in-game duffelbag. 

I'd be super excited if the devs get into the idea... Heck! I'd even offer to complete stuff on the wiki if they did!!

• 7 months later...
On 7/16/2020 at 4:06 PM, Mows1313 said:

I'm a little late to this idea.

If Mows1313 was a little late, I'm much more late, but the topic of bicycles came up again on reddit and I looked for the suggestion here.

While most points have been made about bikes or are pretty obvious, I thought it was worth mentioning if you use the sandbox setting where you can't power a gas pump with a generator, then you are restricted to using the gas you can find or siphon. Well, bicycles are perfect for this post-gasoline world. Without gas or without a car, inter-city travel on the map gets very restricted, taking days of on foot travel. And even still, you're limited to what you would be able to carry on your person. So forget bringing back that cool pinball machine, you've got to get the essentials at that point. You could add a front and/or back basket to get that little bit of storage space with the trade off of going a little slower or making you a bit more tired from having to push along the extra weight.

Another change has come out since the last post in this thread: trailers! There are a couple different options for a bicycle trailer too. I could see a small trailer, one that would typically be used for carrying a child, that would add some storage equivalent to a duffelbag. Another being a proper cargo trailer which would be heavier on its own, and more so once you load it up with baseball bats and cans of soup.

And then, the rarest of all: a tandem bike for multiplayer :)

Edited by Sedgwick

• 1 month later...

It's actually a really nice idea. I wouldn't mind being able to ride a bike as well. I was actually thinking that the game could enable bike vacations similar to the ones you can get in Japan, if you guys ever get to visit. We had the chance of doing that before the pandemic and seeing the cherry tress blossom in the spring while stopping at a local sushi restaurant to rest was one of the best experiences I ever had in my life. I think if the game had such a feature one day would be incredible to play with.

Edited by horsejack