progressively worse performance

kingnugget

Question

i'll try to keep it short,

have had this game for a while, got a new laptop which can run a fair amount of games with decent framerates, things like killing floor, destiny 2 ETC can atleast be handled on low graphics.
but i've been having alot of stuttering and FPS issues with project zomboid, i lowered the resolution and tried a few different things but so far nothing has worked and the game is unplayable when i zoom out (i barely get any frames, it just freezes)

it became worse like this once i tried out the new zoom build but it was too buggy so i changed it back and its been like this since

9 answers to this question

wait im retarded i dont have any security programs , though the problem didnt persist on the current live build. 
the FPS isnt perfect on there, if i go onto full screen and zoom out it definitely becomes stuttery, but thats why i play it on windowed

4 hours ago, kingnugget said:

wait im retarded i dont have any security programs , though the problem didnt persist on the current live build. 
the FPS isnt perfect on there, if i go onto full screen and zoom out it definitely becomes stuttery, but thats why i play it on windowed

Interesting, it could be caused by something else then. Can I know your system specifications? What your graphics card is, RAM, CPU and your operating system.

On 1/15/2020 at 12:26 PM, kingnugget said:

You later said you're running windows 10 -- windows 10 comes with security enabled by default. Follow this link and add %userprofile%\Zomboid to your folder exclusions (typically at C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Zomboid) for Windows Security: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028485/windows-10-add-an-exclusion-to-windows-security

On 1/18/2020 at 9:02 AM, kingnugget said:

im using a Dell Laptop
-using windows pro 10 with 64 bit
- RAM is 8GB
-CPU is intel Core i5 7300HQ (4 CPUs) ~2.50 GHz
-i think the GPU is integrated or i just havent found it in my PC specifics

Also, since you have an iGPU, your video memory is shared with your system memory. This means it is slower (worse performance) and has to compete with your system resources. Make sure you configure your settings to minimize video memory usage (e.g. compressed textures on, double sized textures disabled, lower screen resolution, disable post-processing, water/puddle settings at low/disabled, etc). This may net you better performance.

Another interesting thing to note -- since iGPUs have to share RAM to use as video memory, it might be possible that your system starts paging the hard drive once RAM usage gets too high -- this will severely stunt performance, and may even lead to video crashes.

Yeah unfortunately the new build seems to perform terribly and crash often with Intel integrated graphics cards, we dont have much information on it right now.
I can only recommend that you make sure that your Windows 10 has the latest updates and that you update your graphics card drivers as well.
Link:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/98909/Intel-HD-Graphics-630

Do you have any kind of security program? (Antivirus for example)
If yes, can you add an exception for the "Zomboid" folder found in "C:\Users\YourUserName\"
This prevented stutters for some players, as the security programs kept checking each file created by the game.

Archived